**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Soldato
So why are people saying it has no wide angle lens?
No idea. People have been saying for ages it only has two lenses yet the photos clearly show 3. I
not saying the 3rd lense is definitely wide angle but there definitely is a 3rd lense. Guess we'll find out in a few weeks.

Soldato
And yet it will be priced at about £750+ with mid range specs.
What google should do is wait till the next chipset is out.

Oneplus is nearly as fast with updates. But if you want to pay that kind of cash for the camera.
Go buy a real camera.

I really can't get my head around the stupidity behind the thought process that leads people to think that having the flagship SoC from 6 months prior = midrange.

Why then do 2019 midrange phones use the Qualcomm 630 SoC, and not the 845?

It's literally the clock speed that is different on the 855 & 855+. They have the exact same Kyro 485 cores, same Adreno 640 GPU, same ISP, same RAM support and same modem. The clue is kinda in the name, it's an 855 with a tiny amount of additional clock speed.

The only difference is one of the core clusters (of three) runs 0.12GHz faster and the GPU runs less than 100hz faster. All of this whilst on the same manufacturering process.

I can't recall anyone saying the 855 isn't fast enough to run current mobile content, so what is that extra speed doing exactly - except for hitting battery life?

Soldato
Yes ultra wide is a problem

I may choose a p30 pro instead

Just take couple of pictures side by side and Google will create you a panorama. I don't even bother taking panoramas anymore, if I want one I just take couple of pictures and by end of the day I get notification that my new panorama is ready in Google photos

Soldato
I really can't get my head around the stupidity behind the thought process that leads people to think that having the flagship SoC from 6 months prior = midrange.

Why then do 2019 midrange phones use the Qualcomm 630 SoC, and not the 845?

It's literally the clock speed that is different on the 855 & 855+. They have the exact same Kyro 485 cores, same Adreno 640 GPU, same ISP, same RAM support and same modem. The clue is kinda in the name, it's an 855 with a tiny amount of additional clock speed.

The only difference is one of the core clusters (of three) runs 0.12GHz faster and the GPU runs less than 100hz faster. All of this whilst on the same manufacturering process.

I can't recall anyone saying the 855 isn't fast enough to run current mobile content, so what is that extra speed doing exactly - except for hitting battery life?

Few idiots or trolls in this thread mate. If Google moved the release date to coincide with the latest CPU they would happy as Larry and not mention it. :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You know what? I'm actually quite hyped for the 4. Everything points to it being rather amazing thanks in large to the updated software trickery Google is famous for and of course the refined design.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
They're quick but still not as quick as a capacitive sensor. I guess Google has figured out something better else they'd have used under screen. I bet you £1 it has something to do with Project Soli and the radar sensors at the top which know when it's "you".

Soldato
Few idiots or trolls in this thread mate. If Google moved the release date to coincide with the latest CPU they would happy as Larry and not mention it. :D

Stop labelling discussion as trolling!

Look at the new ROG phone 2. 12gb ram, 120hz screen, 512gb storage, 855+ processor, massive battery. A kitchen sink phone at premium price.

Pixel 4, worse on all main specs. Price: guaranteed to be the same on the XL. Camera, no doubt miles better but people buy phones for more than just the camera.

Tell me again why people are excited to pay full whack for subpar specs just because it’s a Pixel when other phones offer near stock experience with more of everything at the same price?

Soldato

Look at the new ROG phone 2. 12gb ram, 120hz screen, 512gb storage, 855+ processor, massive battery. A kitchen sink phone at premium price.

Pixel 4, worse on all main specs. Price: guaranteed to be the same on the XL. Camera, no doubt miles better but people buy phones for more than just the camera.

Tell me again why people are excited to pay full whack for subpar specs just because it’s a Pixel when other phones offer near stock experience with more of everything at the same price?
The Hardware specs don’t tell the full performance story. Software and user experience also impacts performance.
For years Apple computers had specs behind PC’s but Pros always chose Apple Mac’s for video, CAD, and photo work because they performed better, even though on paper they had lower specs.

Soldato
The Hardware specs don’t tell the full performance story. Software and user experience also impacts performance.
For years Apple computers had specs behind PC’s but Pros always chose Apple Mac’s for video, CAD, and photo work because they performed better, even though on paper they had lower specs.

Stock Android is available to everyone (maybe except Huawei :p ) and it really isn’t an excuse for subpar specs. Many phones run stock or near stock with far better specs. Google don’t pack out their phones yet charge as if they were packed out. That money goes into the corporate coffers of Alphabet and I struggle to understand why people are so keen to defend it. Why can’t they up the Pixel RAM and storage? Is it because the phone doesn’t need more or because they want to make more profit at the expense of the consumer?

Apple is Apple. Like it or not they can get away with things no Android phone manufacturer can get away with. Google has thus far failed to get the same customer loyalty or the sales numbers with their Nexus/Pixels using their current strategy. What’s wrong with me suggesting they go down the ROG 2 route except with camera improvements and a more acceptable form?

Soldato

Anything that doesn't have 12gb of RAM and 120mhz screen is mid range now? People are calling it trolling because it's pretty stupid, that's why. A phone doesn't have to have the best specs to be top end, it just needs to have top end specs and performance!

Is it because the phone doesn’t need more or because they want to make more profit at the expense of the consumer?

Because it doesn't need more.

Soldato

It's trolling when people spout such nonsense as calling the SoC midrange when it clearly isn't.

Stock Android is available to everyone (maybe except Huawei :p ) and it really isn’t an excuse for subpar specs. Many phones run stock or near stock with far better specs. Google don’t pack out their phones yet charge as if they were packed out. That money goes into the corporate coffers of Alphabet and I struggle to understand why people are so keen to defend it. Why can’t they up the Pixel RAM and storage? Is it because the phone doesn’t need more or because they want to make more profit at the expense of the consumer?

Apple is Apple. Like it or not they can get away with things no Android phone manufacturer can get away with.

You really think Alphabet is trying to make additional profit by limiting the RAM? You do realise that the profit from Pixel phones is a drop in the ocean to Alphabet right?

You actually don't know what you're talking about with your Huawei comment. AOSP is still open to Huawei, they just can't ship devices with Google's proprietary apps and services. There's only one other OEM as good as Google at pushing out updates and that's Essential, Samsung for example can't even keep up to date with monthly security patch roll outs.

Back
Top Bottom