People who go and sit in their car to eat their luncheon at work

Soldato
Working at a new place, it's my second day it's lunchtime and I'm in my car. The canteen is tiny and has 2 seats so the only place I can go for a sit-down is my car.

Soldato
Working at a new place, it's my second day it's lunchtime and I'm in my car. The canteen is tiny and has 2 seats so the only place I can go for a sit-down is my car.
Sounds grim. But on the flipside I'd think it rather anti-social of a new starter to be going off and hiding in their car at lunchtime! What does everyone else do?

Soldato
Sounds grim. But on the flipside I'd think it rather anti-social of a new starter to be going off and hiding in their car at lunchtime! What does everyone else do?

I don't think it is anti social wanting to sit down to eat your food, not his fault the canteen sucks

Soldato
I don't think it is anti social wanting to sit down to eat your food, not his fault the canteen sucks
But if there's only two seats then the majority of people must do something else. I'd be inclined to find out what that is, and get involved and be sociable.

Soldato
But if there's only two seats then the majority of people must do something else. I'd be inclined to find out what that is, and get involved and be sociable.

Social.. Work
What

Who does that? Don't most people just stare blindly at a phone or TV anyhow on break. I know we all do

Caporegime
This is a weird thing, I’ve noticed we have a truck driver who when he’s in the yard for his break he will go and sit in his car and have his dinner.

Why he would choose to drop crumbs all over his car than his cab I don’t know!

Best of it is his truck has a microwave which he’ll cook his dinner with then carry it to his car to eat.

Just plain odd.

Permabanned
I agree with Scam and should be a part of the group or will be called that weird new bloke that sits in his car.

Indeed, we use to have only 30 minutes for lunch and by the time you walked to the corner shop, got a filled roll and ate it walking back
the time was up, you had the time on your own but it didn't seem that anti-social.

Caporegime
Cab = working enviroment, car = private space;)

It might be that he just feels the need to get out of the cab as part of delineating his work time from his personal time.
He lives in the truck most nights of the week, not to mention it’s a far more comfortable place to eat (they’ve even got little tables in them) hear what your saying - especially for an office/factory worker but to a trucker his cab is his home.
I still think it’s odd.

Soldato
Newsflash; not everyone hates their workplace and/or colleagues?

Neither do I, but I don't find it impossible to be sociable with people I see for 9hrs a day!
Newsflash; for some people if they go and be sociable they don't get a lunch break. Sometimes you have to escape your work colleagues for the downtime/break. I learnt a long time ago I cannot take a break in the staffroom or canteen as if I try there will be no break.

Soldato

Stand by the shutter doors and smoke and chat. I'd rather have a sit down and I don't smoke either.

Associate
I've done this for years in places I have worked. It gets me away from the phone and away from the screen with some time to unwind a little. Unfortunately I've suffered from social anxiety for a long time along with a bunch of other things more then likely related to the spectrum and people outside my own department barely know me anyhow.

Fortunately I have a job (Development) whereby I don't have to be social really. I am for my team in the office and I try to be to others but at least for my team working in I.T its easy to talk about the typical things most people who work in I.T are into. All the other devs in the team do their own thing or eat and surf the web or go to the canteen to buy something to take back to their desk. Where as I pretty much go out buy my lunch and eat it in the car and listen to youtube/audible over 4g.

Back
Top Bottom