• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

People who got GPUs, how did you do it?

Soldato
I used a Discord alert to grab a 3090FE in February. But of course back then the 3090FE's were often in stock for hours, even a whole day!
I got one simply because I couldn't get a 3080FE (Sold out in seconds), and it was a difficult decision at the time due to the excessive cost, but now it almost looks like good value! I'm glad I don't have to jump on stock alerts any more. Much better for the nerves.

Associate
I missed yet another 3080 FE drop back in January so decided on a 3090, a kind forum member here alerted to a still live 3090FE link @ MRSP, which I pounced on and the rest as they say is history and I really appreciated the heads up, you know who you are;)

Soldato
I've managed to get 2 GPU's, both via OcUK's voucher system, only way I have been able to do it without paying really silly prices. I know this probably seems indulgent to many, having 2 when many can't get even 1 but I have 2 seperate systems that I game on and both are modern and high spec, my primary desktop in my office and my living room pc connected to a TV, I wanted a latest gen GPU for both of those, obviously this is an expensive thing to do but I still wanted to do it without feeling like I was being really bent over so I have an RTX 3070 and a 6700XT, but I had the money and was in the right place at the right time bascially, or looking at the right forum at the right time might be a better way of putting it. I don't think I would get away with a 3rd via this method though somehow, but then I have no need for a 3rd, that would be ...a bit OTT. The reason I wanted a latest gen card for my 2nd living room PC if anyone wonders is because I wanted a decently fast card (has to drive 4K) with an HDMI 2.1 output to drive my LG OLED at 120Hz ...the 1080Ti it has replaced can't do that, although the actual performance difference between those cards isn't that great in all honesty given they are 2 generations appart, I would say the 6700XT is on average probably only 10-15% faster than the 1080TI sometimes only single digit percentages, there are some examples of rather bigger differences like Horizon Zero Dawn which is more like 25% but that's a real outlier tbh.

Soldato
Me ...how so?

I did explain in the thread for the drop what I wanted to do and why before my order was accepted and dispatched and I was allowed to do it, it was months appart aswell, so yea I get many might not like it, but like I said, right place, right time with the money ready to go. I don't have any ill intent, I've been a member here a very long time it's not in my interest to try anyhing ...'funny' but I still want what I want even in a mad market and if I can get it somehow at a price I am 'ok' with I will. Not about to let things like human malware and a global chip shortage screw up my gaming system plans if I can help it.

And in all honesty I didn't quite get what I truly wanted, which was a 3080 ...but I've written that particular desire off entirely they really are veritable hen's teeth.

Last edited:
Associate
Well long story short my card declined for an MSI Ventus 3080 on a competitors site and I gave up, I came back a few hours later on Overclockers and picked the most ugliest , most unknown and cheapest 3080 which was the Inno3D Twin X2 OC , waited in the queue for around a month and a half and it arrived.

But I had to RMA it and now I am back in the queue , lol.

Associate
I started on launch day with a gigabyte 3080 in my basket but changed my mind and then spent the next six months with Discord and Twitter alerts hunting for a 3080 FE, neither of which worked and then I switched to telegram and got one on the second time using it. I had already bought the EK water block so I had to stick with getting a 3080 even though I could have had a 3090 several times as these didn't sell it straight away.
I'm happy now, just need to wait for a decent 4k monitor to come out now :D

Associate
Managed to grab 3070FE just now from the competition thanks to discord notifications and working from home. It looks like they just had a drop of 3060ti and 3070.

Associate
i keep missing the fe card drops, i'm on discord / twitter alerts. I'm just not quick enough! any suggestions on how i can get a card for once!!

Associate
i keep missing the fe card drops, i'm on discord / twitter alerts. I'm just not quick enough! any suggestions on how i can get a card for once!!

I just got a 3080 fe but i had my phone on the desk, heard it vibrate, immediately opened it up (pre signed into scan) . It took a good few minutes for them all to sell but thats how quick you need to be

Associate
I just got a 3080 fe but i had my phone on the desk, heard it vibrate, immediately opened it up (pre signed into scan) . It took a good few minutes for them all to sell but thats how quick you need to be
I didn't even see the Out of stock change on the 3080. I was looking at the nvidia page with 3070, 3070ti and 3080 visible.

Back
Top Bottom