People who hate automagics...

Associate
Can we not let that little slip-up go? :D

I do powershift sometimes though, I should really stop doing that before I shatter the little clutch. :p

But hey, when you have a car for which the parts are cheap, and the gearbox is fully accessible by taking off one wheel, why not practice these things... :rolleyes:

Have you thought of keeping the Polo and getting a car for the track that you can race for real or at least do track days with rather than perfecting your techniques on public roads.

Soldato
What car do you have?

The car is a Honda Accord.

My cars official 0 - 60 time is 17.9 seconds, but it actually does about 16 seconds. It is still deathly slow, but at least it isn't that extra 2 seconds slower.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that the 0 - 60 times mean Jack all however. I believe that they are measured with the car 50% loaded or something like that, in some cases.

How accurate they are will also vary from car to car. And from manufacturer to manufacturer. A bit like MPG figures. *cough* BMW *cough*

But on a day to day real world basis, how often are you racing of the line from 0-60? The 0-30 time is probably more relevant, but again who races off the line regularly? It's irrelevant for day to day driving, whats more relevant is the 30-50 and 50-70 times, 0-60 times are just figures to fill the performance stat books up with.

Soldato
Rodenal, baby <3

I know I am being unkind to the car whenever I do it, I know that I can damage several critical components each time as well. I do quite a bit of work to my car myself, and as I have mentioned, I have helped build engines before because Dad is an engineer who is heavily into restoring classic bikes...

I wouldn't do it if my car weren't low value, cheap to repair and easy to work on. What are first cars for, if not to do these stupid things in? If I had a better car I would have a little more mechanical sympathy... Though I will add that I do take care of the car generally speaking. Funnily enough I don't want to kill it.

I'm not a fan of power-shifting anyway. It is stupid. And it doesn't work very well in the Slowlo either. Quick-shifting on the other hand, works very well, and can be quite satisfying... :)

Anyway this is de-railing things a-bit. :p

After all of the stupid things I have said in the past on these boards, I feel as though I need to drag myself along to an OcUK meet, just so you know that I don't wear a nike tracksuit and talk in "street". :D

I think we should stick with blasting you for being a pleb and lying about driving cars.

Don't 'powershift' in any car, destroys gearboxes.

Don't worry about the 0-60 times, means jack all, my car official 0-60 time is 9.5sec, but actually does 0-59 in 7.5sec, because of the way its been geared. I can tell you that car with the engine and gearbox is a good drive.

Also... what? it takes 2 seconds to change gear? Have a word...

Soldato
Well... There is always that trashed 323i which I sort of own... But the last time I saw it, I couldn't get it to turn over, and it was in a bad way. It is also a slushie. (E36 auto) so not much good for the track.

For the record, I haven't slept for about 48 hours... So my mind isn't where it should be... I might start talking in foreign languages soon.

Back away from the keyboard. Half the stuff you write lately is total junk

Soldato
Having now fitted a heavy duty, low stall speed torque converter to the 4x4 smoker I can now say it has finally found its legs, no more thrashing of revs to get going, just a surge of power in a cloud of soot (I've had the ECU tuned too) :D

More boost will be forthcoming once it's run in a little more. :D

Soldato
Also... what? it takes 2 seconds to change gear? Have a word...

Lol, I have no idea why they put it down as 9.5sec, they limited 2nd gear to 59mph, so you have to shift into 3rd to get into 60, that will add time to the 0-60, but I think they were being conservative just like they did with the timings for the Accord Type-R which was much faster than the official figures.

But as I said before, really not that fussed with the times, I can get away from most regular cars on the road from the lights, and the 1st gear is so short geared it sings into VTEC and up the speedometer in no time, but am no traffic light racer...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Oh Jesus Christ what the hell was I talking about...

I'm going to go and hide for a while.

I think we should stick with blasting you for being a pleb and lying about driving cars.

All I lied about was driving a dual clutch 118D when I had actually driven a manual 118D... I made my reasoning for that clear, and apologised. :confused: People have done worse than telling a white lie about a transmission type...

Back away from the keyboard. Half the stuff you write lately is total junk

Yes, sorry... :(

Why is it that everytime I come back to this thread, you have somehow topped your last comment?

I write tosh when I'm that level of tired. I was nodding off, and trying to stay awake because I was at work. I honestly don't even remember writing half of that crap... :(

I have also powershifted about 4 times ever out of sheer curiosity, so I wasn't even talking truth, and was making myself sound like more of a spanner than I actually am. :rolleyes:

I'll just back out of the thread now...

Last edited:
Soldato
This is the internet, if you aren't 100% sure what you're saying is true/people will agree then it's going to get picked up on.

Grow a pair and just carry on posting, with less of the apologizing and rambling about half owning a 323i and how powerful your Polo is :p You're fine.

Caporegime
Well I didn't have anything particularly useful to add to this thread to begin with. I just stated the obvious, then lied, then argued with someone who knows better than me, then confused everyone with a stupid excuse for the lie, then utterly de-railed the thread.

So I will vacate the thread anyway, and perhaps watch from a-far in-case someone mentions my inane utterings. :p

Back
Top Bottom