1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People who perceive things in strange ways

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrochester, Sep 15, 2019.

1. mrochester

Soldato

Hi all.

Does anyone else know people who perceive things in strange ways that makes you think wtf when you hear about it?

For instance I recently told my dad to flip the switch on the bottom of a wireless mouse to turn it on.

He started looking for the switch on the part of the mouse at the opposite end of where you’d plug it in to charge.

I couldn’t help but laugh.

According to my dad the top of the mouse is where you’d plug a cable in to charge, the bottom is the opposite side of that. The domed part of the mouse that nestles in your palm is the front of the mouse and the side where the sensor is is the back of the mouse.

It’s almost like he’s describing parts of a mouse in the same way as you would a piece of paper.

If nothing else it amused me and my mum who both looked at each other in bewilderment.

Does anyone know other people like this?

M.

2. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

Yes, Mrs. Terminal is exactly like that. Intelligent and a former nurse, she has a lose grasp of physics and anything mechanically more complex than a bicycle is like magic to her.

Many “The thing that connects the other thing to the wassitcalled” conversations have been had.

3. Dis86

Capodecina

Oh you know, the thingy over on the side next to the other one.

Standard convo with my mum.

4. Freakbro

Capodecina

Every time I read an mmj post

5. ianh

Mobster

My mates wife, university degree in something non-tech (maybe art or similar) wouldn't believe us when we said 50% and 1/3 were the same when doing a maths problem ie 50 is 1/3 of 150 and 100 + 50% is 150 therefore 50% and 1/3 were the same if you think about it mathematically (I think we were splitting a bill between the 3 of us).

6. edscdk

Soldato

Not it related but our friend takes 1800 a month from his gf (all but 300 of her income) and has done for just over 12 years.. Their total outgoing are about £700.

She has to buy all the food for both of them from her remaining £300

Neither of them thought there was anything odd about that, now we mentioned to her that's not right she found out he has just shy of 500k in savings!

When she asked why she has to put so much into the joint account he said "that's what you pay to live here"

They also have slept in separate rooms for several years..!

So they both perceived sleeping in different rooms and him taking all her money as normal! (until we told her otherwise) she is now seeking legal advice! (about they money not sleeping in different rooms)

7. LuckyBenski

Mobster

Either you've explained that terribly now, or you were explaining it terribly then and she was right.

8. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

The worrying thing is that my 84 year old mother would correctly say “The cable that goes around the mounting bracket and into the housing.” I guess living with my mechanic and auto electrician father for 50 years may have been a factor.

9. Kol

Don

Qué?

Edit - I had to ask my wife, you mean 50% increase on the £100?

50% of £150 (£75) and 1/3rd of £150 (£50) are two entirely different things to a 50% increase on £100, no wonder she didn't believe you. You explained it terribly as suggested above.

10. Thekwango

Capodecina

Ironic post,maybe?

11. arctine

Mobster

Wow.

I feel sorry for your friend's wife. She is right by the way, 50% is not the same as 1/3 in any maths problem.

12. mmj_uk

Capodecina

:D

I agree it's pretty strange these days for people to use their own brains rather than just saying whatever is popular because they're too scared to have their own opinions, let alone be brave enough to voice them. The amount of cowardice and self-censorship today is tragic.

As for this thread, people are different, misunderstandings happen. It's life. People like Freakbro will be demanding the government pass a law to designate the areas of a computer mouse and anyone who gets it wrong will be sent to the gulag for wrongthink because a simple misunderstanding over a mouse is emotionally upsetting to them.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  13. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

That's a pretty hot take right there :D

14. Amnesia

Sgarrista

1/2 and 1/3 are not the same, you seem to have confused yourself a little.
    At first you are using the number 50 and then you replace it with 50%....

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  15. HungryHippos

Soldato

Sometimes I take things too literally, so at times this kind of thing could totally be me.

For example, my driving instructor asked me to beep the horn without taking my hands off the wheel. I paused for a moment, and said to him "I know that this would be dangerous so I would not do it, but my first thought was to headbutt the steering wheel".

I think he meant I could use my thumbs or something :p

16. Jasoncmor

Gangster

That is seriously messed up.

17. Dis86

Capodecina

That's really freaking weird. WTF is wrong with the guy and how thick is she?!

18. Hades

Capodecina

It does sound douchey. But there might be more to it. Does the 700 outgoings include mortgage/rent and car costs?

19. EVH

Don

Psychological abuse tbh.

20. dowie

Caporegime

That makes no sense at all, she didn't believe you because you're talking nonsense. 50% literally is equivalent to 1/2... you need to re-read the above and have a re-think.

lets look at your claims:

"we said 50% and 1/3 were the same" - this is false, are you forgetting that 50% simply means 50/100? This is clearly not equivalent to 1/3.

"50 is 1/3 of 150" - this is true

"100 + 50% is 150" - this is false, I think you mean to say 100 + (100 * 50%) = 150 i.e. 100 plus 50% of 100 = 150

note also 100 + (100 * 1/2) = 150. i.e. 100 plus half of 100 = 150

Now try the above with 1/3

100 + (100 * 1/3) = 133.33

unsurprisingly that doesn't work out.. since 1/3 is not equivalent to 50%