Perez Replaces Albon at Red Bull

Man of Honour
Confirmed :)

Sergio Perez has signed to race for Red Bull alongside Max Verstappen in 2021.

The 30-year-old Mexican, who took his maiden Formula 1 win in the Sakhir Grand Prix this month, replaces British-Thai Alex Albon, who will stay with the team as reserve driver.

Red Bull decided Albon had not performed strongly enough in his 18 months with the team to justify continuing in a race seat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55367539

Soldato
Watch him go from current hero to 'omg what a has been, why has he got a seat instead of a youngster' if he's not pushing Max to the absolute limit every week :p

Nice to see him get a seat but fully expect him to look ordinary once he actually starts driving for Max Bull Racing and all their focus is on Max still.

Soldato
In a few years there will be quite a few seats available. Hamilton/Vettel/Raikkonen/Alonso will all be retiring surely within 2 years.

Soldato
The usual ******** from Christian Horner then about standing by Albon.... Perez will be quick next season.

To be fair they have; Gasly and Kvyat only got half-ish a season each before being given the boot, Albon's has a season and a half. For whatever reason he isn't performing as well as he should do and after that amount of time I'd say it's a safe bet that he won't.

Man of Honour
Finally the right decision. That’s a formidable driver line up, Mercedes better have some pace in hand because Perez will score significantly better than albon.

Totally deserved. Why did RP get rid of him? Vettel is a has-been.

Media exposure, sponsors etc. It’s the only reason I can come up with.

Man of Honour
In a move that shocks nobody....Sorry Alex, you just didn't cut the mustard

Heh, I’m shocked...that it took so long. Even though I’m not convinced albon has the same spec car as max, he’s made a huge number of errors. He’s been pretty embarrassing about it at times too - I forget who it was he blamed for a spin, when in reality he was several meters away from them. Sadly, that’ll be him done with a race seat in F1, there’s just too much talent out there.

Soldato
Will be interesting, RB have gone through a couple of good drivers in a very short space of time. For me it would show if they where bad drivers, or the RB team have no real interest in the number 2 seat and only in Max, as that whats its felt like for 2 years from them.

Soldato
Finally the right decision. That’s a formidable driver line up, Mercedes better have some pace in hand because Perez will score significantly better than albon.

Media exposure, sponsors etc. It’s the only reason I can come up with.

Course Merc will blast them again, they wern't even really trying with once again no upgrades to any of the cars for the last bunch of races. Only kink in the armour is if Bottas doesnt fine his mojo next season.

Soldato
It's all a bit of a mess isn't it, Perez has become some sort of brilliant driver because he won in Bahrain.

Albon was pretty hopeless, RB really have only got Max and he makes a lot of mistakes. I'm not sure how he would cope in a championship fight.

I think RB are going to struggle for at least a couple of years now, their driver program doesn't really work.

Soldato
Watch him go from current hero to 'omg what a has been, why has he got a seat instead of a youngster' if he's not pushing Max to the absolute limit every week :p

Nice to see him get a seat but fully expect him to look ordinary once he actually starts driving for Max Bull Racing and all their focus is on Max still.
Red Bull will take ordinary but solid points over fighting for points any day.

He's not going to match Max or even get close to him consistently and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded, but if he can regularly interfere with Mercedes' strategy and bag consistent points then he'll have done more than any of Verstappen's previous teammates, Ricciardo excepted.

Back
Top Bottom