Performance reviews - quit while I'm behind?

Associate
I'll keep this as brief as I can and won't go in to specifics, but basically my boss pulled me up on some work that I signed off that basically wasn't good enough - I wasn't picking up on the details - that was the issue.
He also highlighted that I wasn't showing the enthusiasm or 'energy' that he was expecting.
Few months later, I received an email from him inviting me to a meeting to discuss my performance and how it wasn't good enough (not picking up details, no enthusiasm, not giving him updates on projects)
The meeting was minuted and I received a copy and was given a month to improve my performance.

In that time I made more effort to talk to him more about what work I was doing, I picked up more 'details' with other peoples work.
Fast forward to yesterday and I get a pdf letter saying my preparation for meetings was poor, my professional qualification submission was rushed and I relied on other people reviewing it too much.

I hold my hands up that a couple of things raised (not in the most recent letter) were valid but one thing that really gets me is that the original issues raised are different to those in the letter yesterday.
my organisation isn't as good as it could be but my communication internally and externally has improved and I've worked hard on the other areas.

So I have another meeting on Monday (4:30). I'll fight my corner as some of it I feel is completely unjustified, but I have a few questions:
What I really want to do is hand my notice in on Monday morning and work out my notice. What I'm concerned about is any reference that may be given would be negative.

I would also need to be able to explain why I quit. My answer would be that I've had no structured training or support in my time there (which is true) but is that a good idea? If not, what is the alternative.

Advice is would be very welcome.
Many thanks

Permabanned
You can give a bad reference, it just must be fair and accurate. So most will just end up going " yeah Dave worked for us between 2019 and 2021"

It sounds like they are managing you out, rightly or wrongly.

Associate
OP
Yep.

You're going to get sacked on Monday unfortunately.

I don’t think that’s likely. The second letter states I may get a written warning.
This process from what I can see is a performance review not a disciplinary.

What gets me is that the things I’m apparently not doing or am doing poorly are different to those on the first letter.
I’ve had no support in that time, structured or otherwise. From what I’ve read, if I quit and they are seen as not giving me adequate (any) structured support or training that is grounds for constructive dismissal.

Soldato
I don’t think that’s likely. The second letter states I may get a written warning.
This process from what I can see is a performance review not a disciplinary.

What gets me is that the things I’m apparently not doing or am doing poorly are different to those on the first letter.
I’ve had no support in that time, structured or otherwise. From what I’ve read, if I quit and they are seen as not giving me adequate (any) structured support or training that is grounds for constructive dismissal.
As someone else said, you are effectively being managed out. I don't know the full facts of course, but what you have described sounds exactly like that. Poor performance on record, opportunity to improve, letter stating you haven't improved, follow-up discussion before "final action". Given you have acknowledged some of the things in the letter were correct you may do well to convince a tribunal of constructive dismissal.

Do you believe you are performing well? Do you have objective measures that can be used to prove this?

Sgarrista
Commissario
Being managed out. Set yourself up for a constructive dismissal claim, ask for training / material etc to improve your performance to that the company expects.

Associate
OP
It certainly feels like I’m being managed out. If I sit in the meeting on Monday and call BS on what they claim this time around they (he) will say “ok we’ll give you another month” and 4 weeks time low and behold I’ll get another letter saying different things as to how I’ve under performed.

For the record I don’t think I’m performing badly, equally I wouldn’t say I’m setting the world alight, but poorly? No.
It’s a personal vendetta against me veneered with words like ‘it’s not personal’ (he actually said that).

So what are my options?:
Hand notice in on Monday morning with two fingers. If I do that he wins which is slightly sickening.
Fight my corner and have it go on another month, two months etc.

How do I go about making a constructive dismissal claim?

Soldato
Is it still the case that if you quit you may not be able to claim unemployment for 6 months?

When asked about your departure in future interviews don't criticise your employer.

Soldato
It certainly feels like I’m being managed out. If I sit in the meeting on Monday and call BS on what they claim this time around they (he) will say “ok we’ll give you another month” and 4 weeks time low and behold I’ll get another letter saying different things as to how I’ve under performed.

For the record I don’t think I’m performing badly, equally I wouldn’t say I’m setting the world alight, but poorly? No.
It’s a personal vendetta against me veneered with words like ‘it’s not personal’ (he actually said that).

So what are my options?:
Hand notice in on Monday morning with two fingers. If I do that he wins which is slightly sickening.
Fight my corner and have it go on another month, two months etc.

How do I go about making a constructive dismissal claim?

Answer is in this one:
Being managed out. Set yourself up for a constructive dismissal claim, ask for training / material etc to improve your performance to that the company expects.

Caporegime
I mean I guess on one hand you've had some warnings but really they should be offering some support - usual process is to stick someone on a PIP - performance improvement plan, though there ought to be some guidance on what you need to do better and typically you would be reporting each week re: what you'd done and get some feedback.

Giving someone time to improve and then getting rid isn't necessarily managing someone out or something you'll be able to sue over, it can be legit, if they're offering support and some objective criteria you need to meet in a PIP and you're judged to not meet the requirements then they do need a process to get rid of people.

I'd start sending your CV out ASAP and talking to recruiters + try to hang on to the current job for a bit longer. Obvs probs best not to stay there as even if you get through a PIP the long-term prospects there in terms of future pay, bonuses and progression are probably damaged now.

Don't think by law they can give you a bad reference so just hand in your notice

This is a myth, so people probably shouldn't keep on spreading it. Lots of employers will tend to just not give references beyond simply confirming your dates of employment and job title, but the idea that it would be illegal to give a bad one is nonsense. They can be objective about it and certainly, if they let someone go they could confirm that if they chose to.

Soldato
I mean I guess on one hand you've had some warnings but really they should be offering some support - usual process is to stick someone on a PIP - performance improvement plan, though there ought to be some guidance on what you need to do better and typically you would be reporting each week re: what you'd done and get some feedback.

Giving someone time to improve and then getting rid isn't necessarily managing someone out or something you'll be able to sue over, it can be legit, if they're offering support and some objective criteria you need to meet in a PIP and you're judged to not meet the requirements then they do need a process to get rid of people.
This is true but I have different experience of those surviving PIP. They're usually assigned a coach and it becomes a way for the coach to stroke their own ego (in their review they'll state how they turned around a poor performer etc etc). Ergo, those who survive PIP normally do extremely well. Those who don't, get sacked.

Soldato
A lot of companies suck at PIP stuff though. For them it's a case of, they know they have to give you first notice that your performance is off, and a time box to improve it. Then if it still isn't, written warning about it. Then if it still doesn't, they can get rid. If they're following the general process that is, but as has been said, when on something like a PIP it is on them to provide you adequate support to be able to improve based on their feedback in this time.

Sadly sounds like it's going to be done poorly and I'd focus on looking for something else sharpish. Likelihood is they can't get rid today, but it sounds like it's on their agenda and changing goal posts on what you're not doing shows this. I'd not bother fighting but use that energy to look elsewhere while doing your best in the current position.

Caporegime
Sadly sounds like it's going to be done poorly and I'd focus on looking for something else sharpish. Likelihood is they can't get rid today, but it sounds like it's on their agenda and changing goal posts on what you're not doing shows this. I'd not bother fighting but use that energy to look elsewhere while doing your best in the current position.

^^^ this for sure, I mean if were the OP I'd be sending out my CV right now, forget about waiting till the end of PIP. Play the game at work, make it sound like you're keen to improve etc.. don't slack off just because you're going to interviews... you want to be employed for the next 6 months even if on a PIP and not necessarily under pressure to accept the first job offer you get. Ideally have two potentially offers lined up together (maybe easier said than done when working full time) but as far as the potential new employers are concerned you're happy with your current role, you're not going to bad mouth your employer etc.. they need to incentivise you with a good raise to come and work for them... Then just hand your notice in, no point in sticking around at a place that just stuck you on a PIP.

Soldato
^^^ this for sure, I mean if were the OP I'd be sending out my CV right now, forget about waiting till the end of PIP. Play the game at work, make it sound like you're keen to improve etc.. don't slack off just because you're going to interviews... you want to be employed for the next 6 months even if on a PIP and not necessarily under pressure to accept the first job offer you get. Ideally have two potentially offers lined up together (maybe easier said than done when working full time) but as far as the potential new employers are concerned you're happy with your current role, you're not going to bad mouth your employer etc.. they need to incentivise you with a good raise to come and work for them... Then just hand your notice in, no point in sticking around at a place that just stuck you on a PIP.
100% would be my tactic!

Back
Top Bottom