#pergtrip - North Coast 500 + Isle of Skye and Cairngorms

Soldato
Looks like a good trip. How many miles or hours a day were you guys roughly doing?

Varied day to day but we did roughly 150 miles each day, driving ranging from around 3 hours up to 6 but you don't really notice the seat time.

I'd like to do a similar Scotland road trip but think I would chop the top half off, and skip those bumpy roads.

You'd miss out on a HUGE amount / most of it if you didn't go on 'bumpy roads' as 90% of Scottish roads have bumps of some form or other.

Soldato
OP
WARNING

When chasing down slow M3s in your 200bhp hot hatch, try not to sit on his arse ;)

20160828_200018.jpg

Seriously though, there's a lot of loose stones and if you're up there in convoy, try and keep a good distance from the car in front.. no matter how slow they are going :p

Soldato
Followed this on Facebook and even talked the Mrs into doing something similar.

How did you guys do for fuel? The STi is mapped on V-Power. Would I struggle filling up?

OcUK Staff
I loved doing NC500 in the M3, the roads were awesome, but would have preferred to do it in my Mustang, but I still had great fun and the views were stunning.

Man of Honour
Followed this on Facebook and even talked the Mrs into doing something similar.

How did you guys do for fuel? The STi is mapped on V-Power. Would I struggle filling up?

Yup. I had to use normal unleaded from places selling Dave's Special Brew petrol on a couple of occasions. Fuel needs planning.

Soldato

My car, despite being a hunk of junk, is built to run on 98 so I only run super and that's all I used whilst there...varying qualities mind but it ran very well on it all. Unlike when I've run standard unleaded before (even took a bottle of octane booster just in case).

Pretty much every stop on the route shown above had super available somewhere in the area close by.

Last edited:
Soldato
Right, edited my pics from day one...I didn't take many so that was easy so I may as well write up a proper post.

We arranged to all meet up at peterattheboro's on Sat where we went out for food and all being southerners (obviously aside from Peter) we went out for a Parmo...chicken and molten cheese, it was good but rather heavy work.
Sunday saw us on the road for over 7 hours getting to Inverness, we kept stopping for pics/looking around once in Scotland as "wow these views are amazing"...little did we know...

The first stop was on the border because, well, you basically have to of course.

14095759_808145690056_3011722688083385534_n.jpg

bpAUpx9h.jpg

From there we travelled up through the Cairngorms by the A9 which has average speed cameras along most of it which is obviously a bit tedious but it does mean you can safely check out the views and take it all in.
We stopped a few times in various laybys for photos of the cars and the scenery which broke the time up nicely and it all flew by quite quickly.

NNHBLQih.jpg

Food and drinks in the hotel whilst copying our footage etc. onto hard drives saw an end to the first day. Not the most exciting day really but the proper start point was always going to be Inverness so it was all a case of just getting there for the trip proper to start really.

Associate
Scotland is such a lovely place to visit these pics bring back good memories from trips up there. Isle of Skye is stunning, I can highly recommend a drive and boat trip from Elgol. All those average speed cameras in Cairngorm mountain range a bit of a pain, they go on for miles! People are so friendly up there.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You don't "need" a light car Vita! My car is not exactly light, but it does handle well, and was thoroughly enjoyable! I suppose the operative word could be geo. So geo... :p

Anyway, a few clips:

Rear view of Applecross Pass and how tight it can be if you get a wide load coming the other way:

Also, god's sake Peter!

PeterPlz.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom