Persona 5 - why is everyone going gaga over it?

Caporegime
Persona 5 comes out on April 4th. I've heard of both Persona and Megami Tensei but never played one. So I went and looked at a few videos on YouTube and Twitch. I don't get it. The interwebz is heralding this game as possibly the greatest PS4 title yet. But from what I've seen the graphics look like something from PS2 and it's all talk and no action.

Please someone remove the blinkers from my eyes and enlighten me!

Man of Honour
No idea myself.

I'd never played one until I tried Persona 4 Golden on the PSVita. I gave it 4 hours and all the time I was bored out of my brain. The story wasn't particularly engaging and the rest of the game felt like a bog standard, turn based, JRPG.

I have preordered it for the PS3 because I believe it will be the last game release for the system in Europe. I'd be surprised if the usual FiFA and NHL etc will see a release later in the year. But i could be wrong, but worth a punt for £26.

Last edited:
Soldato
No idea myself.

I'd never played one until I tried Persona 4 Golden on the PSVita. I gave it 4 hours and all the time I was bored out of my brain. The story wasn't particularly engaging and the rest of the game felt like a bog standard, turn based, JRPG.

I have preordered it for the PS3 because I believe it will be the last game release for the system in Europe. I'd be surprised if the usual FiFA and NHL etc will see a release later in the year. But i could be wrong, but worth a punt for £26.

4h isn't even past the tutorial part really. I thought hte same but it really opens up after a while. It hasn't got such a following and overwhelming reviews for the fun of it :)

That said, I've still not finished it but I suspect P5 will be contending for GOTY. I feel the same way about the GTA series TBH.

Man of Honour
4h isn't even past the tutorial part really. I thought hte same but it really opens up after a while. It hasn't got such a following and overwhelming reviews for the fun of it :)

That said, I've still not finished it but I suspect P5 will be contending for GOTY. I feel the same way about the GTA series TBH.

That maybe true. But if, as a developer, you haven't convinced me after 4 hours of playing your game then you're doing something wrong or your game just isn't for me.

It may not help that Persona 4 is a PlayStation 2 game from 2008, so maybe it hasn't aged well.

Soldato
Why though?

It's the first one since P4 and that did very well, it's sat at 93% metacritic (yeah I know) I don't really have the answer.

That maybe true. But if, as a developer, you haven't convinced me after 4 hours of playing your game then you're doing something wrong or your game just isn't for me.

It may not help that Persona 4 is a PlayStation 2 game from 2008, so maybe it hasn't aged well.

It is very text heavy so if you have ADHD or just prefer more action then sure it wouldn't gel. I posted something similair in Reddit and I was urged to go through a few more hours and Im glad I did. I didn't like hte combat and dungeon crawling though, I just liked the social link stuff but you probably didn't get that far. I also like visual novel games like Danganronpa etc so that probably helps explain it!

Man of Honour
It's the first one since P4 and that did very well, it's sat at 93% metacritic (yeah I know) I don't really have the answer.

It is very text heavy so if you have ADHD or just prefer more action then sure it wouldn't gel. I posted something similair in Reddit and I was urged to go through a few more hours and Im glad I did. I didn't like hte combat and dungeon crawling though, I just liked the social link stuff but you probably didn't get that far. I also like visual novel games like Danganronpa etc so that probably helps explain it!

I've played through a few text heavy games in the past. So I can play those types of games if I find them fun or engaging. Maybe I'll give it another go from where I last saved and see if I can get more out of it.

Soldato
I've played through a few text heavy games in the past. So I can play those types of games if I find them fun or engaging. Maybe I'll give it another go from where I last saved and see if I can get more out of it.

I cant wax lyrical too much about it as I say because I haven't even finished it but I just think you may be missing out a bit especially now as you've said you enjoy text heavy games. If you don't like the whole high school setting htough then that won't do much good!

Associate
I was going to order the Collector's Edition, but now it's not in stock anywhere, so I've lost my chance. Oh well, just means I'll buy the regular version of the game a good while later then. Not played one of these, but many say the series is good and Persona 4 Golden was pretty much the biggest reason to own a PSVita.

Soldato
loved P3P on the PSP but never finished it but got close (or it seemed that way with the story) enjoyed what I played of 4 Golden (maybe 20 hours) but just didn't have the time to put into it to really get the most out of it.

its a game of 2 parts, challenging dungeon crawling/grinding which is a nice system but can get repetitive and a story with a friendship system where you have to balance out being friends with people including your party members that gives you boosts in combat. there is also a semi Pokémoneqsue system where you gain personas and combine them to make more powerful personas with better powers.

if you want to get everything out of a game they will be up there in content with the likes of Skyrim for £p/h but possibly much longer due to replayability.

Soldato
I have p4g on Vita and like barmyllama I hadnt played any of the series until this one came along (and was meant to be one of the top games for the system, although that isn't saying much). I lasted longer, a good 20h or so, had completed a few dungeons and was building my team, but just wasn't really having fun considering I dont like JRPGs... or turn based combat... or the art style... Or high school dramas...

Back
Top Bottom