1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peterborough by-election June 6th

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by BowdonUK, Jun 2, 2019.

1. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

I thought I'd start a new thread as this by-election is going to act as a marker of things to come.

Can the Brexit party turn an EU election result in to a victory in a GE sized by-election? Can the Lib Dem's who notoriously under perform at GE level turn things around and boost their vote numbers to take the seat? Will the Conservatives manage to even hang on to their 2nd place from the last result?

It's interesting that the seat was taken by Labour from the Conservatives at the last election. Under normal circumstances the Conservatives would be predicted to take it back, especially under the circumstances that the by-election is being called. But then we aren't living under normal circumstances.

The by-election was called when Labour's Onasanya was removed following a recall petitition.

Here are the candidates;

Brexit Party - Mike Greene

Christian People's Alliance - Tom Rogers

Common Good: Remain in the EU - Dick Rodgers

Conservatives - Paul Bristow

English Democrats - Stephen Goldspink

Green Party - Joseph Wells

Independent - Andrew John Moore

Independent - Bobby Smith

Labour - Lisa Forbes

Liberal Democrats - Beki Sellick

Official Monster Raving Loony Party - Alan "Howling Laud" Hope

Renew - Peter Ward

SDP Fighting for Brexit - Patrick O'Flynn

UK European Union Party - Pierre Kirk

UKIP - John Whitby

The previous result from the 2017 election was;

Labour - Fiona Onasanya - 22,950
    Conservative - Stewart Jackson - 22,343
    Liberal Democrat - Beki Sellick - 1,597
    Green - Fiona Radic - 848

Majority was 607 and the turn out was 47,738.

Sources;
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48218957
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Peterborough_by-election
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterborough_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

2. Quartz

Sgarrista

A friend has been canvassing for the Brexit party and reports a strong pro-Brexit stance.

3. StriderX

Capodecina

4 way tie with tie broken by n rounds of coin flips.

4. garnett

Mobster

Thought I recognised that name...

It's this Mike Greene, who argued that the EU was holding the UK back on education and child poverty...

... Another Brexiteer bull**** artist.

5. Monkeynut

Soldato

Sadly Brexit Party will probably clean up.

6. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

Well the Labour candidate is already in trouble by liking a post on facebook about 'Zionist Slave Masters'.

I noticed that she was the Labour candidate previously standing in this constituency before Onasanya got chosen this time. A fine group of activists in that branch it seems.

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/...-zionist-slave-masters-facebook-post-1.485000
    https://www.theguardian.com/politic...erborough-byelection-lisa-forbes-antisemitism

I can never understand why these candidates get themselves involved in the Israel/Palestine debate, especially if they aren't Palestinian or Israeli. This is politics, not a history class debate.

7. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

I predict this seat is going to be a fight between the Brexit Party vs Lib Dem's.

Peterborough was a 60.9% Leave vs 39.1% Remain area.

8. Outcast

Mobster

You should make it clear that this vote is only for us that are "norf ot river" (Nene - Pronounced Neen here in Peebo).
    I believe south of the river it's Shalesh Vara (<-- Spelling ?)

The Mother in Law has already voted for Mike Greene she informs us and he'll get 3 votes from our household. This is no longer just about Brexit.
    Well here's hoping a good result for the Brexit Party from my town (Peterborough) will make them realise their jobs are every bit as precarious now as they have made ours over the years !

9. Dolph

Man of Honour

Labour have a great candidate, showing they have learnt from their previous problems and are vetting properly.

Jewish groups say Labour should disown Peterborough byelection candidate

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...erborough-byelection-lisa-forbes-antisemitism

Oh...

10. Irish_Tom

Capodecina

If it’s no longer just about Brexit, why are you voting for the Brexit Party? What else do they have to offer?

You realise a WTO Brexit will make everyone’s jobs more precarious?

Sticking it to the establishment is all well and good, but I’m not sure Brexit is a price worth paying to do so.

Cutting off one’s nose to spite one’s face comes to mind…

11. Outcast

Mobster

12. singularity

Wise Guy

I'm pretty sure the result whatever it is will be spun by everyone to say it means what they want.

I'm not sure Peterborough is the bell weather for the nation's thoughts though.

13. Irish_Tom

Capodecina

I’m asking you why you think a vote for BXP will achieve your ‘bigger than Brexit’ goals.

I also don’t fancy a 250-mile round trip to listen to listen to Mike Greene, Ann Widdecombe and Annunziata Rees-Mogg, but thanks for the suggestion.

I absolutely agree but it won’t stop Farage and co bleating on about it when BXP invariably wins.

14. Outcast

Mobster

It's the message (and ultimate intention) it sends.
    But that message has been explained eleventy bazillion times on these forums already and you still haven't accepted it and I doubt you ever will.

Hey Ho, You're coming along whether you accept it or not.

15. StriderX

Capodecina

What message does it send by sending the establishment to the establishment? ******* hell great plan.

Farage is not your friend and you'll find that out soon enough, when he can finally sell you down the river the rest of them forged.

16. Outcast

Mobster

The message it sends is you can change the leaders of both main parties all you like but that wont purge parliament of the 500 + Self Serving Toerags !
    There's only ONE WAY of doing that.

Oh..and..
    You will still be coming along with us

Mwahahahahahaaaaaaar

But lets see what the result is this Friday. We could lose !

17. Irish_Tom

Capodecina

The idea of supporting Farage in an act of defiance against ‘self-serving toerags’ is probably the single most ironic thing you could possibly do.

Thanks for giving me a well-needed laugh though.

18. garnett

Mobster

Yeah, quite. Unless Farage (that massive bigot enabler) offers you something else (whatever that might be), this is the most laughably feckless thing you could do.

19. Outcast

Mobster

And yet your arrogance wont allow you to do the very thing you know will solve Parliament !

Thanks for the belly laughs

Serfs

20. Irish_Tom

Capodecina

How will voting for the Brexit Party ‘solve Parliament’?

By blocking the two main parties? You’re just replacing one bunch of self-serving toerags with another. Not only that, if the quality of candidates for the European elections is anything to go by, you’ll be filling Parliament with some particularly nasty people with some particularly extreme views.

Or do you mean by delivering Brexit? If it’s on WTO terms then it’s not just Parliament that will be broken but the whole country.

You worry about your precarious job situation and then vote for something that’s likely to make it worse. Is that a price worth paying to ‘stick it to the Tories’?

I understand the reaction against the decade of Conservative austerity but voting to leave the EU and then voting for BXP is not going to lead to a land of milk and honey, no matter how many times Nigel promises you that it will.