1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peterborough by-election June 6th

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by BowdonUK, Jun 2, 2019.

1. StriderX

Capodecina

Something odd like reading the daily mail and calling it journalism.

2. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

Police have to investigate it if it has been reported. Just like the Jo Brand nonsense.

Its hardly likely they are doing it off their own backs because of evidence if the only evidence is someone saying.
    I mean Christ. Farage seems perfectly fine with all the dodgy shenanigans from the brexit lot but cries like a baby after any hint of wrong doing based on flimsy accusations.

Although TBH if I was a brexiter I would be unhappy with only losing by 683, but then again most of them dont seem very happy with anything anyway.

Is this an appropriate time to say "You lost get over it"? Hopefully nothing will come from it as voting fraud is wrong in every way.

3. Murphy

Wise Guy

So I'm curious if you read the actual report instead of the partisan spin put on it by a well known 'newspaper' (and i put newspaper in quotations as i don't really consider the DailyMail to be one).
    That hardly seems like "another rotten borough" as Farage characterised it and it doesn't even relate to the postal voting system that Farage railed against.

(now i need to go and wash my brain as it's been polluted by having to read a so called newspaper).
    Why do they? They've not investigated the suspected criminal involvement in the 2016 referendum and that was far more important and almost 3 years ago.

4. MatteH Oxford

Wise Guy

5. robgmun

Capodecina

There was also a piece on LBC just now and I highly recommend listening to the catch-up if you missed it.

6. VincentHanna

Capodecina

7. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

Theres always been vote rigging in certain areas. But its unPC to talk about it.

If anti-BP/Farage people are throwing milkshakes on people then its not hard to believe that a few votes should go missing here and there.

I think the more serious aspect of this is that the validity of the democratic process is coming in to question.

8. Murphy

Wise Guy

9. StriderX

Capodecina

I'm happy for a dictatorship if you are.

10. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

There as been questions going back before the EU referendum, and before the Scottish Independance referendum. It's just whoever loses gets drowned out by whoever wins.

Wasn't there a council in London that had to be directly controlled by the government because of the level of corruption and vote rigging going on? It might be Tower Hamlets that I'm thinking of.

I'm not the one vote rigging, so no. The dictatorship idea is a fraud. "Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely".

11. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

That’s the point, when Farage got the referendum result he campaigned for with numerous electoral irregularities it was the will of the people and cannot be ignored. When he lost in Peterborough it is a rotten borough and needs to be investigated to be rerun. This is simple flag waving, choosing a side and sticking to it whatever that side does to keep the faithful enraged. Once people stop to think rather than emotionally reacting any form of election irregularities are anti democratic, the side is irrelevant.

12. D.P.

Caporegime

Indeed, the Brexit party is accepting illegal foreign donations so absolutely needs to be investigated

13. robgmun

Capodecina

He's the not one making the claims, he's reacting to the news.

14. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9306339/nigel-farage-peterborough-by-election/

According to this he is and this.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/to...out-peterborough-by-election-result-1-6109042

And many other reports, it is not a position any rational person would defend, irregularities in the referendum mean nothing but irregularities in Peterborough mean it is a rotten borough leading to the election being run again.

15. garnett

Mobster

So he's not accepting the will of the people, and instead is intent on betraying democracy?

Surely saboteurs like him need crushing like the enemies of the people they are?

It's all so confusing when your need to have your bigotry indulged weds you to supporting inconsistent shysters like Farage.

16. Murphy

Wise Guy

And when claims, even evidence came to light, of Russian interference and criminal activity in the EU referendum how did he react then?

17. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

I thought it was being investigated?

18. ron3003

Wise Guy

Already has been, just were warned there was a risk of receiving dodgy donations via Paypal AFAIK

19. efish

Wise Guy

A high and ongoing risk of breaking electoral law was the way the Electoral commission framed its concern.
    Its structure leaves it open to receiving illegal contributions.

Given the serious investigation into Aron Banks and Farage's own past failure to declare significant contributions from Bank's; failure here is at best severe incompetence or at worst, given the history, it demonstrates a somewhat cavalier attitude to the law, unless of course its a political opponent where it's guilty before any charge and clearly a hanging offense.

Strangely the initial report from the group which was monitoring the election bares little relationship to Nigel Farage's statements.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  20. Hades

Capodecina

The photographing of ballot papers was likely to be so the voter can prove the way they voted and receive payment. There have been several reports of people being approached on their doorstep and offered money to vote for Labour.

Tariq Mahmood, who has previously been jailed for election fraud over postal votes, was campaigning for the Labour candidate. There was an increase in the number of postal votes during this election.

There was evidence of considerable 'family voting' as stated by the observers.

The result in Peterborough is questionable at best.