1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peterborough by-election June 6th

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by BowdonUK, Jun 2, 2019.

1. bayo000

Mobster

Says a lot about BXP when they fail to win against candidate like that ;)

2. garnett

Mobster

You're admitting that you apply inconsistent standards depending on whether the person agrees or disagrees with you.

An interesting, and some might say, unattractive, stance.

3. robgmun

Capodecina

Well you guys have been doing it for months so i might as well join in.

The upside of this by-election is that it'll focus the minds of the Tory party and are far more likely to choose a hard-brexiteer as a PM now. So while it's a short term win for Labour it's the long term that'll play out

4. matt100

Capodecina

Lol.. salty loser's tears are tasty you guys were right!

5. Stretch

Capodecina

So the Tories are now more likely to pursue a no-deal Brexit... despite the party who's only policy is a no-deal Brexit not winning a by-election in an area which voted overwhelmingly to leave the EU in 2016, and who's only real competition was a party who's MP was thrown out by the public for committing a criminal offence and serving a custodial sentence?

6. McstylisT

Wise Guy

Well have to congratulate Labour. They won this election with a tight battle.

If this is the desire of those people who voted then so be it.

Still a good result for bxp and especially Labour.

7. garnett

Mobster

Do elaborate - show where "us guys" have been applying inconsistent standards. I'm intrigued.

8. McstylisT

Wise Guy

Omg I keep forgetting sorry. #facepalm..

So Labour didn’t win ? Oh I see now. Looking at the results in every other way than they actually show, shows brexit party with a huge lead outright. Please my ignorance of accepting a result. :)

9. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

So interesting result from the Peterborough by-election

Peterborough by-election: Labour beats Brexit Party to hold seat
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48532869

It turned out to be an interesting result as I thought both BP and Lib Dem's would have done better. Though BP coming from no vote to winning an MP seat would have been a political shocker.

The Lib Dem vote went true to form i.e. they always do better in other elections but not the GE.

The Brexit Party took a lot of votes from the Conservatives and a few more from other parties.

The Labour vote held, despite losing votes mainly to the Lib Dems and some to the Brexit Party.

I think the story of the night though shows that the Conservative vote as collapsed. The main right wing party potentially now is the BP. I've no doubt there will be Conservative seats with a weak Labour vote that will be susceptable to a BP challenge.

If the BP manage to get 1 MP voted in to parliament it would shock the political establishment, and I suspect cause an implosion in the Conservatives. I personally think we're seeing a shift in the demographics of the right wing vote.

10. GordyR

Mobster

You do understand the difference between an FPTP election to choose a single MP, and the D'Hondt system used to elect multiple MEP's with varying policies right? :confused:

11. thenewoc

Mobster

The Peterborough byelection result has shown a few things...

# Labour won by a very small margin of just 683 votes.
    # Strong message delivered to Conservatives & UKIP that if you don't switch to voting The Brexit Party then you end up with Labour.

Great effort from TBP though in such a short space of time, no doubt up against Labour's campaign machine promising the earth and glossing over the wrong doing of their previous MP, now lets see how many promises Lisa Forbes can actually deliver in her opposition seat and whether she can do the job as so far she's looked very shaky when interviewed following the result and has already had to deliver apologies for anti-Semitic behaviour.

Interview with Lisa Forbes by Andrew Neil following the Peterborough result, see from time 2:40:35.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0005qj3/this-week-byelection-special

Seems like she's been schooled the same as Dianne Abbott.

12. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Whos laughing now? :D

Technically Labours stance is deliver the result of the referendum while trying to get a deal that benefits the UK and (hopefully) have a vote on the outcome but most importatly try to stop a disastrous Tory brexit outcome.

The double standards are using it as an excuse after completely trashing that arguement even though it was technically correct at the time. That is a fact.

Peterborough was for a single MP. So the winner wins over everyone else.

These cows here are small but those cows over there are far away.
    You guys seem to be fine with voting for Ann Widdecombe so wind your neck in a bit.
    Brilliant.:D
    2% margin Hmm bit like the EU referendum then?
    Yep great job by the BXP of offering the earth and glossing over the wrong doing of its own party and brexit supporters and dishonestly promising that a no deal brexit will benefit the UK and the white working class people. Sadly you people will never learn even with all the facts out there for everyone to see you still wont listen.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  13. Stretch

Capodecina

There is no shift in demographic. The issue is the electoral system. Both parties know there is healthy majority in the centre of British politics, the issue is it's difficult to unify the centre under a single party political banner, therefor they are attempting to build a majority around the more reliable party faithful types at the extremes.

This has never worked, and the Brexit party actually makes it much harder for the right.

If the Brexit party didn't exist, who would have won the by-election in Peterborough?

14. Shocky-FM

Mobster

Close one; looks like Labour voters decided to turn up, maybe the thought of a Brexit MP was too much for them

15. a1ex2001

Capodecina

I thought the libs did pretty well when you look at the constituency they were never going to to be challenging but a 9% increase shows a good revival for the party. It is good for the country to see some life back in the libs just to bring some balance to our politics.

16. Thecaferacer

Hitman

The main parties should be in panic stations now.

Labour barely retained their seat with less than half the voters of 2017. The BXP came a tight second despite not existing a couple of months ago and having no actual policies.

The conservative vote was slashed by 2/3rds, the Lib Dems made moderate gains and the Greens were static. Obviously you have to account for the drop in turn out but party HQs will be in meltdown.

I can see fresh plotting for the creation of a new centre left and centre right parties.

17. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

I mentioned a demographic change on the right because there hasn't been any changes to the right for many years. In contrast the left have always splintered in to different parties, Labour, Lib Dem's, Greens, and previous groups like the SDP.

I don't understand the reasoning behind your question. Even with the Brexit party existing Labour won, so why wouldn't they win it without the Brexit party there? They would probably have won it by a bigger margin.

18. matt100

Capodecina

I'm sure it was partly that.

Where the right is certainly good at doing and saying anything, often contradictory things to gain power.. they're also totally blind to the fact they get resisted pretty firmly by everyone else because they're kinda evil (you might not see it if you're into it but they tend to be anti immigration, anti welfare state, anti LGBT, anti liberlism, anti freedom, quite fighty etc).

So it wouldn't surprise me if quite a lot of moderate conservative voters moved to labour to stop BXP getting a seat, it's a pretty solid rejection.. It's definitely a strong result for them too but if you believe the stuff coming out of the right wing press and Farage etc then they should have got 61% because that was the leave vote and they all knew what they wanted right? It was WTO and they're offering it and nobody else is???

19. thenewoc

Mobster

Because presumably if TBP weren't there then those votes would go to Conservatives but actually seeing as TBP came second it should be Conservative voters switching to TBP. A few of those 7'243 Conservative votes and the UKIP ones and TBP would easily win.

20. StriderX

Capodecina

Strong message to the BP'ers that if you dont keep with the Tories you let Labour win, this can be spun both ways comrade.