1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peterborough by-election June 6th

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by BowdonUK, Jun 2, 2019.

1. SPG

Soldato

Same as the referendum result then.... In which case we would not be in the FUBAR state the UK is now.

Out meant out it was really very very simple, yet a bunch of "not getting over it" people decided not to get over it and start dropping hurdles at every step.../ just sayin

2. Stretch

Capodecina

3. StriderX

Capodecina

Hurdles are democracy.

4. chroniclard

Capodecina

Whinging at exercising our democratic rights in a sovereign country.

5. a1ex2001

Capodecina

We would be in a much more FUBAR state with no option to change our minds while all the big boys in the play ground pinched our lunch money, shoes, books etc

6. Harlequin

Mobster

Did Bowdon say LibDems are left wing? wow , heres a clue - they are not , at all.

7. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

The phrase 'out means out' highlights just how little people understand behind the complications of leaving.

A scary thought that a party with no policy can survive on such an attitude. Might as well just hold a catchphrase competition to decide what we are to do...

8. VincentHanna

Capodecina

They are to an extremist.

Not calling Bowdon an extremist, just to clarify.

9. garnett

Mobster

Lol.

Put head to head, the Labour/Brexit vote was split 52%/48%.

:D

So by their own unique "Referendum Rules" Brexiteers need to be accepting they lost, and getting fully behind Labour's "GE, and if not GE then 2nd Ref" manifesto.

10. JeditOjanen

Mobster

This is a false statement for two reasons. First, turnout for the by-election was considerably lower than the GE as it always is. Second, Peterborough was a flipped marginal in 2017 with a majority just over 600; that majority is now just under 700. So the reality is that in a Leave stronghold which has spent most of the time since World War 2 in Tory hands, Labour have managed to increase their majority from a much smaller number of votes cast despite their outgoing MP being disgraced and their incoming MP being embroiled in a scandal. It's only the Tories who need to be scared.

11. singularity

Hitman

It's obvious not enough Tories voted brexit party, would they make that mistake again?

Or would the brexit party voters vote tory.

Personally I think in situations like this more Tories will switch to brexit party if only to stop labour.

The next election if held soon would be epic.

The Tories are going to have to jump of the fence and back hard brexit if they want to stop Corbyn.

12. singularity

Hitman

oh hang on, don't we add brexit party and tory votes together so labour lose by a huge majority.

13. thenewoc

Mobster

Absolutely, considering TBP had over 35% more votes than Conservatives it's clear Peterborough's right of center voters want a clean break Brexit firstly to WTO.

14. JeditOjanen

Mobster

Sure. I'll take the loss of one Labour seat in exchange for the loss of every Brexit Party MEP.

15. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

I think when someone is taking a decision to not vote for a party they have consistantly voted for then they must have felt betrayed by that party (in this case I suspect a failure to carry out Brexit). I suspect if there wasn't an acceptable alternative then they probably wouldnt bother voting.

16. garnett

Mobster

I want to see this list of target seats. I think Farage's claim it's their 201st target seat is his customary bull****, and that you've swallowed it, and regurgitated it without any scrutiny.

Can you prove otherwise? Can you link to this list?

17. singularity

Hitman

you just admitted farage said so, why does @robgmun have to prove anything?

18. Harlequin

Mobster

Thats not how FPTP works; sure for PR it can do but not FPTP

19. garnett

Mobster

Oh dear. What Farage says isn't gospel. Is that where all this Brexit misunderstanding has arisen?

20. singularity

Hitman

I know