Petition: Abolish road tax on Motorcycles

Associate
From 2017 it'll be based on both. http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/149454/new-road-tax-vehicle-excise-duty-ved-to-soar-in-2017

I think I also heard it will be ringfenced for road infrastructure projects from 2017 as well.

Yes, it will be - but note the changes are only for new cars registered after that date, cars registered before then stay on the old rates (which I think are much better for your average car!).

Can't see anything there about bikes.

Indeed! Quite fortuinate I think, given road tax went from £0-130 for your average car, to a flat £140 per year going forward, or +£310 if it's worth more than £40k (except the rare 0g/km cars).

If they re-visited bike rates, I can only see them going up...

Associate
lol. I'm happy paying £60 a year for my bike. Even though it does a fraction of the miles my 2.0l car does I don't think I'd want to be charged based on emissions or anything like that as I can see my car then becoming a cheaper option.

And no chance of putting cat and stock exhaust back on just to pass MOT testing

Soldato
I won't be signing this either. Happy enough paying the £81 a year for my 1098s, it's worth it for all the enjoyment i get out of it.
The system won't be changed anyway, after all the DVLA spent a fortune not that long ago changing the systems to get rid of tax discs. Also roadtax is the main part of the system that links MOT's and insurance. In other words, no insurance or no MOT means you cant get roadtax. They won't change that anytime soon.

One

One

Soldato
One of our suppliers at work has said there are rumblings about tax discs coming back as there has been a sharp increase in non taxed vehicles since the physical disc was scrapped.

I doubt it. Anyone that wants to check can even do it on their phone. I can check about 6 vehicles simply by looking out my window. Besides, a sharp increase would suggest more people are getting caught now. That seems a result to me.

Caporegime
anyone had a reply from the government yet? I did few days ago

Dear sir

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Abolish road tax on Motorcycles.”.

Government responded:

The average motorcycle owner pays £54 VED per year whilst the average car owner pays £166. VED rates have been limited to inflation only increases since 2010.

Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) is a tax on vehicle ownership irrespective of miles driven.

The rates of VED for lower emissions cars are part of a multi-pronged strategy to help realise long-term fuel-efficiency improvements through funding technological innovation, regulating manufacturing improvements and incentivising consumer take-up. This helps the Government to fulfil its legal obligation to reduce national CO2 emissions.

Unlike for cars, it has only been mandatory for CO2 emissions data to be included as part of the type approval process for motorcycles since 1 January 2016. Therefore, it has not been possible to base motorcycle VED rates on CO2 emissions. The current engine capacity based rates offer the most practical and easy-to-understand way to reflect the respective emissions of motorcycles.

Currently, the average motorcycle owner pays £54 per year – a lot less than the top VED rate of £81 per year – and the average car owner pays £166 per year. In addition, under this Government, VED rate increases for motorcycles have been limited to inflation only, meaning that all motorcyclists’ VED liability remains unchanged in real terms since 2010.

HM Treasury

Click this link to view the response online:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/118875?reveal_response=yes

The Petitions Committee will take a look at this petition and its response. They can press the government for action and gather evidence. If this petition reaches 100,000 signatures, the Committee will consider it for a debate.

The Committee is made up of 11 MPs, from political parties in government and in opposition. It is entirely independent of the Government. Find out more about the Committee: https://petition.parliament.uk/help#petitions-committee

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

Associate
Basically. We've been good to you up to now but will soon start ripping you off based on emissions as soon as possible.

Great idea for a petition, bring it to the forefront of their minds.

Soldato
I don't like anything to do with those lot.
so I hope it doesn't get to 100k.
we are better off under the radar.
bikes give out a lot more of the nasty's then cars do, despite what a lot seem to think .
once they start looking in to it we will all be paying more not less, you can be sure of that

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't like anything to do with those lot.
so I hope it doesn't get to 100k.
we are better off under the radar.
bikes give out a lot more of the nasty's then cars do, despite what a lot seem to think .
once they start looking in to it we will all be paying more not less, you can be sure of that

And you'll end up with the strict emissions testing like the Swiss.

Back
Top Bottom