Petition to the government to not implement offences for modifying vehicles

Soldato
wait what, auto speed limiters? So you can't blip it to get round a moron or get out of danger when some idiot fails to lane merge properly? I'd be dead now if that had been active in my dad's car. It was accelerating out of trouble that saved our lives...

All this auto restriction crap - there is a skill to driving. Cosset and restrict and people stop paying attention. I'd argue it's a greater danger to encourage auto braking assist etc, and I want it deactivated if I got a car with it, especially if it was too aggressive. Would that put me foul of this law? Ditto auto handbrakes. Give me a manual one and let me decide and control my biting point and revs thank you.

May be as you say, yet what exactly are people doing in their vehicles which are incapable of rapid acceleration? Do they regularly crash for lack of engine power?

A 30 ton lorry isn't about to blip it anywhere so it has to be driven as if mashing the gas and swerving isn't a option.

I somehow doubt anything causing a reduction in aggressive driving will increase accidents.

Soldato
It isn’t a law. Its a public consultation, the idea is that you respond to the consultation and those views then considered. The whole point of a consultation is to gather evidence and feedback.

If it does become law, what you aren’t going to see is a defined list of modifications which will be outlawed. That’s because this kind of stuff moves far quicker than legislation ever can. It’s always going to be based on principles to keep to even remotely relevant as time passes. For example DPFs have only been a thing since 2009.

Name me a time where a government body, local or central, not counting the referendum, when the results of a public consultation has, in majority, rejected the proposal & the authorities have listened?

Doesn't happen. It was the same with the consultation over Sec 59. Even those that vehemently wanted something done about anti-social driving stated that the proposal was too vague & the burden of proof needed to be more than just the officer's whim. Yet it was added to the law regardless.

Caporegime
May be as you say, yet what exactly are people doing in their vehicles which are incapable of rapid acceleration? Do they regularly crash for lack of engine power?

A 30 ton lorry isn't about to blip it anywhere so it has to be driven as if mashing the gas and swerving isn't a option.

I somehow doubt anything causing a reduction in aggressive driving will increase accidents.
Have to agree, I’ve been driving speed limited vehicles for 25 years and I’m yet to encounter a situation where accelerating out of the problem was necessary - never mind it being impossible! - ultimately his issue sounds more down to his driving style….

Ultimately you don’t accelerate out of a problem imo but can certainly accelerate into one….

Soldato
wait what, auto speed limiters? So you can't blip it to get round a moron or get out of danger when some idiot fails to lane merge properly? I'd be dead now if that had been active in my dad's car. It was accelerating out of trouble that saved our lives...

Failing to merge properly? You should anticipate and slow accordingly, you know it is merge in turn, right? Getting round a moron? You can overtake at the speed limit whenever it is safe to do so, you shouldn't be accelerating over the speed limit to 'get round a moron' now anyway. You sound like a bad aggressive driver.

Soldato
I feel any petition at this stage is a waste of time because it is trying to second guess what the government will do. They can easily counter it by saying this legislation is still being looked at, under consideration and hasn't been implemented.
It would have been better to raise everyone's attention to the possibility of changes whilst the consultation period was taking place, not after it had finished, then wait until the actual legislation was released.
Anyone these days can raise a petition about anything it seems and mostly they do not generate any interest and are largely ignored..

Soldato
they have responded to the petition, the standard "we don't really care about this but here's a response because we said we will"

The intention of the consultation proposal is to prevent modifications that negatively impact on road safety, vehicle security and the environment.

Our ‘Future of Transport’ work is a broad and ambitious programme focused on supporting the industry. The regulatory review aims to ensure our transport regulations are fit for the future.

As part of the Future of Transport: Modernising Vehicle Standards regulatory review, we have put forward proposals to enable Government to better target and prevent harmful tampering with vehicle emission control systems, as well as with safety and security critical systems, parts and components.

We are not proposing that all modifications be prevented, and we recognise there are legitimate reasons why a vehicle owner or business may want to modify a vehicle. Our proposals are not intended to hinder activities such as motorsports, restoration, repairs, or legitimate improvements and alterations to vehicles, or indeed do any damage to the businesses involved in these activities.

Nevertheless, certain modifications can negatively affect the safety and health of the vehicle owner, its occupants, other road users, and the wider population.

Tampering activities that prevent a vehicle’s emissions system from operating correctly, such as the removal of the diesel particulate filter from a vehicle’s exhaust, can significantly increase a vehicle’s harmful pollutant emissions.

Therefore, as vehicles become increasingly automated, we want to prevent alterations to a vehicle’s integral software and sensing technologies which could create safety and security risks. A badly modified vehicle has the potential to kill its occupants and other road users. It is also essential that we ensure modern vehicles remain cyber secure throughout their lifetime, and that any modifications do not make them vulnerable to malicious cyber-attacks.

The MOT test is an important part of ensuring that vehicles on our roads are safe and roadworthy. However, we must also recognise that the MOT test is fundamentally an inspection of a vehicle as presented at the time of a test and can only be a simple check.

There are risks in relying solely upon the MOT test to tackle harmful tampering. For example, it only includes basic checks for the presence and/or function of certain emissions control equipment and is not proof that the relevant emissions standards are being met. It is therefore important that we also have the powers to target and prevent tampering activities that negatively affect road safety, vehicle security and the environment.

We opened a consultation on these measures on 28 September, which closed on 22 November. The Government will consider all responses received and publish a consultation response summarising the responses and setting out the next steps. Any legislative proposals taken forward will be carefully defined so they do not prevent vehicle owners or businesses from making legitimate modifications to vehicles.

Department for Transport

the bit in bold is where I hope they literally define things like:

emission control device tampering(already the case? dpf, decat etc all against the law)
autonomous feature tampering(e.g. speed limiters, lane keep assists, self driving etc)

rather than just "don't change things on a car because you'll kill a child as soon as you leave the garage"

Caporegime
This happens so rarely that it's a non-issue. You're suggesting punishing those that want to modify their cars (body kits, suspension, performance chips etc) because of something you witness maybe once a month if lucky.

I can count on 1 hand the amount of pops and bang cars I've heard over the last 2 months.

Everyday where i live. Especially in an evening which bring out the "youth" cruising up and down the high street.

Soldato
Failing to merge properly? You should anticipate and slow accordingly, you know it is merge in turn, right? Getting round a moron? You can overtake at the speed limit whenever it is safe to do so, you shouldn't be accelerating over the speed limit to 'get round a moron' now anyway. You sound like a bad aggressive driver.

Standard a road. One lane each way. Solid traffic (moving) in opposite lane. Massive volvo comes round bend on our side going hell for leather towards us with no intention of stopping. It was my dad accelerating hard to a) get to the grassy verge instead of the trees and b) get up it that avoided a head on and us being killed in our little Nova.

Funny how quick people are to assume aggressive driver etc. Dont judge without facts

Caporegime
Standard a road. One lane each way. Solid traffic (moving) in opposite lane. Massive volvo comes round bend on our side going hell for leather towards us with no intention of stopping. It was my dad accelerating hard to a) get to the grassy verge instead of the trees and b) get up it that avoided a head on and us being killed in our little Nova.

Funny how quick people are to assume aggressive driver etc. Dont judge without facts

If he was in a speed limited vehicle and not driving like a lunatic you'd be fine.I

Soldato
Diesel gate cost VW very little in the UK it doesn’t even seem to have dampened sales in any meaningful way. The UK authorities do not have the time, will or funding to pursue people driving modded cars on a significant scale otherwise the roads wouldn’t be full of illegally modified cars and bikes already!

That's in large part because the original GLO has only just got to court.

Soldato
they already had an initial fine.

----

unclear to me how current re-mapping is not breaking the law (from earlier doc I linked on eu tampering standards, many countries much more restrictive than uk)

In the United Kingdom, it is an offence to use on a road a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet under the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (SI 1986/1078) (Regulations 61(7) and 61A(3))56 and the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 42)57. It is also an offence to alter a vehicle in such a way that the use of the vehicle on a road would be unlawful under the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 75). Trading of tampered goods may also be in breach of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPRs)58
56 www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/contents/made. 57 www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/contents. 58 www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/1277/contents. 5

with cazoo and all these new innovatorsdisruptors I like to know how many re-mapped cars they unknowingly sell onwards

Soldato
I just can't imagine why anyone would wake up one day and think, you know, I'd really like my car to sound like gun shot fire from miles away...that will make me look cool and people don't need sleep anyway.

Soldato
I just can't imagine why anyone would wake up one day and think, you know, I'd really like my car to sound like gun shot fire from miles away...that will make me look cool and people don't need sleep anyway.
Because that’s what rally cars sound like innit blood! So if my poverty spec rental corsa sounds like that it will be like wicked fast….

Man of Honour
I do find the constant poppy bangy 4 pot chav chariots laughable but that from a lad who had a straight through peco on his mini 1000 back in the 80’s that woke up dead people. No one ever once complained as no one had an internet and I was proper Rock so they must have been intimidated by my 12 stone wet body and brown mini vibe.

Associate
For those who don't support this potential change in the legislation. were you driving the 06 plate Fiests ST that sat in front of me at the lights with seemingly no emissions control at all with a massive popping exhaust hat made a loud and obnoxious farting noise as it drove frantically away from the lights, ******* off anyone in the vicinity?

Soldato
Where are all these people with pop and bang maps? I live next to a main road and yet i rarely hear them. Dont even hear excessively loud cars that often either. Way less than there used to be.

Back
Top Bottom