1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petrol engine is so last year... (or saving the planet, fast!)

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Garp, 5 May 2006.

1. Garp

Capodecina

Just saw this on slashdot:

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/04/technology/business2_wrightspeed/
    http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2006/05/01/8375936/index.htm

Of course there is still that killer for me. The distance you can manage on it. It'd be fine for me for the most part, I do about 5,000 miles a year, all social. Generally its not long distance, but sometimes it is and 100 miles just isn't practical.

2. Rich1988

Soldato

will electric cars still have clutches and everything as standard petrol or diesel cars do now?

3. Jonny69

Man of Honour

Not normally a clutch on a leccy car. They can develop full torque without actually turning so it can pull from a standstill.

4. Rich1988

Soldato

damn :( dont suppose they will be standard for a few years yet but part of the fun is driving is shifting through the gears :p

5. MNuTz

Banned

perhaps you can but a trailer to go with it to hold more batteries giving you longer travel time :D

All they need to do now is make the exterior a solar panel and build a windmill onto the roof for charging on the move!!

6. weeble

Wise Guy

Couldn't you harness the nitrogen and oxygen in the air somehow, and use it similar to nitros oxide. I'm no chemist, so don't fully understand properties and stuff...

7. Rich1988

Soldato

nitrous oxide a vtec and an electric engine :p

8. Trifid

Sgarrista

What I don't get is why they don't stick a tiny engine (few cc) in a car to charge the batteries. This way you get the best of both worlds and not the crappy hybrids that are out now.

9. NathanE

Capodecina

That's what hybrids do do... :p

10. Trifid

Sgarrista

Yeah, but a tiny petrol engine and a huge electric one like this car.

Hybrids do not work. You get a cheaply made car that is very slow and not very efficient.

11. ElRazur

Capodecina

that knocks the idea of an EV i think. :)

12. Trifid

Sgarrista

I thought the point of an electric car was the cheap to run (£5 in few?) and lots or torque low down?

13. MrMatteh

Wise Guy

but where does the electricity come from? oil burning power stations :p

14. blade007

Wise Guy

not possible. the necessary energy is very large.

living things harvest nitrogen but we aren't clever enough yet

15. mosfet

Wise Guy

That's how hyrbids work...

Most of them at least - no direct connection from wheels to internal combustion engine.

The acceleration is usually very good and every hybrid I've seen can do up to 70mph, which is the most you'll ever want to do. If you want to go faster, get a real car.

16. Haircut

Mobster

Which are more efficient at producing power than an internal combustion engine.

17. Lithium

Hitman

Electric motors are definatly the way forward. The hurdle is storing or generating enough energy. As petrol holds a huge ammount of energy compared to even the best batterys we commercially available today.

Electric motors are extremely powerful - this car is already beating a ferrari and a porsche, albeit for not very long as im sure it would run out of juice pretty quick at that rate!

18. hsp70

Hitman

I think what he means is to use an engine to generate electricity exclusively rather than to move to the car. This is what most modern trains do, they move via motors with diesel generators. The upside of this is that you can get the most from your fuel, by running the engine at it's most efficient rate all the time.

19. Malachy

Wise Guy

my electric car at work does not have one

20. Dr Who

Sgarrista

Indeed, the majority of electric motors have higher torque stalled than they do when spinning..

More load you add more the torque increases until you stall, when it produces full torque...

Torque is produced when current flows, so a stalled motor uses more current than a spinning motor... hence more torque..

The big issue is startup as a slipper type clutch will reduce the load on the motor making it more battery efficient...

Direct drive to the wheel is least battery efficient as the startup currents and heat produced as a result are huge.... or can be with an optimistic driver..

The best would be some form of costantly variable transmission...

:eek: