1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petrol station

Discussion in 'Motors' started by BYTEr, Jun 13, 2019.

1. james.miller

Capodecina

They do reach, of course. People just like making excuses.

2. Steeps

Mobster

If that's the case the pumps are very badly designed and shouldn't be an HGV access area if moving my car 2ft forwards is enough to block a whole petrol station of access.

3. Phemo

Soldato

I've never had a problem dragging the hose over my 3 series or my wife's S-Max without it touching the roof of the car. As such, I'll just use whatever's available, not going to wait for no reason :) All the petrol stations near me seem to have decent length hoses so it's not an issue around there at least.

4. Clarkey

Capodecina

I'm quite precious about the paint on my car, and I don't like touching the pump or hose really, they are dirty and smell so I just put it in and wedge the filler cap in the trigger. I will continue to wait for a pump on the correct side. If you don't want to do that, then it's not a problem for you, why complain?

5. BYTEr

Hitman

Did you not finish reading my sentence? For reference it's below:

Their is one station I sometimes use which has a sort of queuing bottleneck meaning if someone is refusing to use a free pump, they're also blocking me from using it.

6. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

Reading is the largest not-a-city in the UK, and possibly the world. Space is at a premium and many town centre stations are tight. I noticed this when I was living in London too, though, so it's not just Reading...

Depends what car you drive and how much space they had to build the station.

7. Haze

Mobster

I always use the same pump at the one i goto :p

8. geekman

Mobster

I have a weekly argument with petrol station attendants who insist on beckoning me towards pumps on the opposite side to my fuel cap in order to speed up the process. I let them do it once, and despite the guy holding the hose, it still ended up getting dragged across the car, putting some nasty scratches in the boot lid, so now I always refuse. I find getting out, pointing at the hose, then pointing at the scratches usually makes them understand. :p

9. Mason-

Soldato

Drag it along the floor and grip it between your tyre and the ground.

10. NoobCannon

Mobster

I think the retards who park at a pump then walk around the forecourt looking for
    A glove so they dont get thier pinkys dirty far more infuriating than a queue to use the correct sided pump

Closely followed by people who block the pump to do what seems to be a weeks worth of shopping, utter cretins.

11. koolpc

Capodecina

If i cant pull the hose around the other side to get to the filler, i just let the petrol spill onto the roof and 50% of it finds its way into the filler!

12. Clarkey

Capodecina

Presumably they are using diesel, absolutely can't blame them, it's disgusting stuff.

13. Lopéz

Man of Honour

Same - I've been driving since 1997 and am yet to encounter a pump that won't reach across the back of the car. How far away are some of you parking?!

14. Iamzod

Mobster

I fill up on the correct side, one of our cars is a diesel so I don't want that #### allover my hands. Either way, i can't be arsed fannying about holding a filthy rubber hose in the air for the sake of saving myself 30 seconds.

15. Jez

Caporegime

You dont need to!? You just drive infront of the pump so that your rear bumper is in line with the handle of the fuel which you will use. Pick up the handle, walk around your car, and fill up. You dont need to touch the hose any more than if you parked on the other side. I have driven around (probably more than) 300k miles over the years in loads of different vehicles and i have never, ever known a pump not to reach any vehicle.

16. wesimmo

Wise Guy

Sometimes the fuel you want isn't on a particular pump, especially if you use high octane stuff.

17. Iamzod

Mobster

I don't want the hose touching my car, when I did this in my last car I ended up having to respray the C Pillar as it gouged lines in the paintwork.

18. peige

Mobster

Fill up whichever side is free, hold the hose over my car if its the other side but draw forward so its only over the rear... never touches my paint work.

I've never had a hose not reach and think people who go one side only are odd but hey, if you want to wait its your time :)

19. NVP

Mobster

Man seriously it's cool, you can chill honestly it's a minor.

20. bainbridge

Mobster

I just drive up and pump gas, if my side is free I'll take it but if not I'll hold the pipe and stretch round.