1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

petrol stations chaos

Discussion in 'Motors' started by watercooledman, 24 Sep 2021.

1. The Running Man

Caporegime

Small firms have had to compete to stay on the road.

Mr Cook told me they have just given their drivers a 25% pay rise.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-57656327.amp

2. TheVoice

Capodecina

With all the panic buying, I'm guessing people aren't so concerned about E10 any more. :D

3. Snookums

Mobster

Its a joke, I need fuel for the weekend cause I've got like 50 miles left but I don't want to have stomach the wait. May just go out at like 12am and hope a 24/7 garage has fuel left.

I do wonder the thoughts of some people, you know 80% of them won't even need fuel for 2/3 weeks, yet they go and fill up anyway, this is the kind of crap that actually produces a shortage.

4. tom_e

Man of Honour

To be fair I've just driven down the A5 from Tamworth to corby and passed plenty of stations that looked no busier than normal, as with the initial statement it looks like it may be getting blown out of proportion by social media

5. Snookums

Mobster

Every garage I've noticed in the past 48 hours has had stupid queues. There is a tesco garage on a main road near us and people were queuing out of the forecourt onto the A road. At that point why are you not just giving up. Sainsburys near me as was just queuing off into the car park.

6. inflames

Wise Guy

I actually needed to fill up this morning, 530am. Went to two stations. First one was completely out and the shell only had v power. So was an expensive tank of diesel, I don’t mind as I use ever so often.
    On my way home from work, the shell I filled up they were queuing up the road, Asda just looked like chaos as I passed it. My wife informed me that the Esso we usually fill up at was empty and the Tesco station was causing chaos as the it was backing up traffic round two roundabouts.

7. rpmmatt

Gangster

Boss has to pay market rate for staff shocker. My heart bleeds for him. Maybe he will have to wait an extra year before ordering a new Range Rover.

But yes, that 5% figure is pure fantasy

8. sigma

Capodecina

Yup and £1000 sign on bonuses, what else are they supposed to do?

There are lots of people driving around looking for petrol as many were turning around as the local supermarket station has cones across the entrance... I have half a tank but need to drive a fair distance tomorrow. I wonder how many of the panic buying people are also brexiters!

9. SDK^

Capodecina

Luckily my lawnmower doesn’t use much :D

10. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

Tesco is out of diesel in my area. Big queues and i just went in for a jerry can for the lawnmower.
    So looks like its not a fuel shortage but hgv driver shortage.

11. Scania

Capodecina

Absolutely hit the nail on the head, I’ve been driving HGV’s since 1996 yet get paid the same rate as someone passing their test tomorrow…

[​IMG]

62.5 hours after a further 3:45 deducted for my breaks, note my overtime rate is exactly the same as my day rate, I start most days @ 4am which means I’m up at 3am…

What part of the above is an attractive proposition to anyone wanting to enter the industry?

12. rpmmatt

Gangster

As some one who voted Brexit, this is precisely what I wanted to happen. My place has the union requesting a 20% payrise on one side, and stack of drivers handing in their notice on the other. Meanwhile I'm getting daily phonecalls from agencies begging me to work for them at £25 an hour or more.
    Our company comes back with their counter offer in a few days. If it's not enough I'm off to.
    This kind of negotiating power wouldn't of happened without Brexit. I'm loving it.

13. chroniclard

Capodecina

Its probably temporary isn't it? so make hay while the sun shines

14. rpmmatt

Gangster

Nope. We are still stuck with an ageing workforce and small numbers coming in to replace them. This is a decades old problem that Brexit and CoVid pushed over the edge, but unless the underlying problems of low pay and poor working conditions is addressed, the shortage will only get worse, and the EU workers are unlikely to return even if they are asked.

15. Scania

Capodecina

A cautionary tale, we’ve had a few leave for the promise of what agencies are offering, yet have come back, what they promise and deliver are rarely the same.

The rates agencies are offering are unsustainable, bear in mind the work your doing is budgeted at a far lower wage level (rightly or wrongly) so hauliers either have to pass this on to customers or go out of business which is already starting to happen.

Yes there’s an argument for making hay while the sun shines, it’s not shining anywhere near as much as the media would have you believe.

It’ll reach a levelling point (hopefully!) , but only after the costs have been passed onto consumers which will hit us all in the pocket.

16. chroniclard

Capodecina

Totally temporary, just remains to be seen how long it lasts and if wages will go as low as previously.

17. rpmmatt

Gangster

Yeah....that's not how it works. Agency rates rise and fall of course, but if a full time employer raises wages by 20% this year to make up for years of stagnant growth, do you really think workers will accept a 20% cut next year??

18. throwaway4372

Gangster

media caused this. it is no less than an attack on the uk.
    media should be fined to cover the damage they caused and banned from doing it again.
    and the bbc should lose their fee money, otherwise it's just fining ourselves, cut them off.

19. sigma

Capodecina

Good for you. And thanks for highlighting the attitude of such voters. Meanwhile, the rest of us have to pay for your pay rise.

20. rpmmatt

Gangster

It's a shame you can't exploit foreign workers anymore isn't it.