petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Soldato
I'd be surprised if there are any driverless cars on the road along with 'normal' cars in the UK in my lifetime, never mind trucks...the idea about closing the motorway to only allow self driven trucks at night is the only thing mentioned here that sounds remotely possible, but I don't know if that even solves anything

Associate
Plenty of unemployed want to do it but they can't afford to pay for the training.

There have been schemes for years to assist in training. Many companies offer direct access from other roles into driving. Some companies will take you on and train you directly.

*looks around*

Nope, still not enough interested to fill the shortage.

Soldato
Same thing with other industries, not just driving. Companies will train people, but they still don't get crowds of the unemployed turning up.

Some just don't want to work, because it's easier not to when they get handouts.

Soldato
Plenty of unemployed want to do it but they can't afford to pay for the training.

I'm surprised some bright spark hasn't come up with a way of paying for the training and then pay it back once you're trained, got to be a money spinner. Seem odd you can get student loans but you can't get a loan to train to be an HGV driver. (seeing above they probably have, just don't know this industry)

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Soldato
There is still the whole legal side of it as well. Who is responsible when one crashes, or breaks down and strands someone in the middle of nowhere? They can also be remotely hacked as they are networked, that's another big subject. Also you can tool Tesla autopilot pretty easily by messing with signs, it will be chaos once people start doing that with proper AVs.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I'm surprised some bright spark hasn't come up with a way of paying for the training and then pay it back once you're trained, got to be a money spinner. Seem odd you can get student loans but you can't get a loan to train to be an HGV driver.

You can get training loans, however they aren't very popular - and wont be until you can be guranteed a job at the end of the training.

Decent paying, adult apprenticeships are the real answer.

Soldato

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

There is still the whole legal side of it as well. Who is responsible when one crashes, or breaks down and strands someone in the middle of nowhere?

The proposed regulatory framework puts the responsibility onto the insurer and as long as the car is MOT'd, maintained and road worthy then the owener isn't responsible, neither is the manufacturer beyond the already existing statute of limitations for existing cars.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

There have been schemes for years to assist in training. Many companies offer direct access from other roles into driving. Some companies will take you on and train you directly.

*looks around*

Nope, still not enough interested to fill the shortage.

The direct access schemes pay a pittance so no wonder no one is interested (teaching faces a similar problem).

Soldato
I may setup 'HGV loans for you' ;)

I'm sure you could get them underwritten for the % that don't get a job etc.! You'd make sure the cash went directly to the company providing the training rather than let the person receiving the training get their hands on it!

Decent paying, adult apprenticeships are the real answer.

Yup, that seems to make sense :)

Soldato
Funny to see my local village fuel station run out, most people don't use it but it was packed this weekend, even though they'd price gouged petrol up to £1.49 a litre.

Soldato
AI doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be better than the average human. The average human is terrible at driving but most accidents go unreported because it's the norm. Every mistake an AI has made makes the headlines.

It will happen eventually and the sooner the better in my opinion.

Soldato
Once all 'self driving' vehicles communicate and actually use AI they will collectively learn from each incident where there is a crash and will avoid it next time, sadly the same can't be said for humans ;)

Currently I think most vehicles use 'autonomous' systems but with the advent of high speed 5G network I'm sure they can become 'self aware', SKYNET is apon us. Nothing as sexy as a Terminator, you're gonna get done by a Prius ;)

Last edited:
Associate
AI doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be better than the average human. The average human is terrible at driving but most accidents go unreported because it's the norm. Every mistake an AI has made makes the headlines.

It will happen eventually and the sooner the better in my opinion.

Off topic and employment issues aside, I think its a terrifying prospect.

Imagine our government(or even worse Australia) with the ability to so easily turn off all personal transport, or enable it only for certain locations. Don't tell me they wouldn't have done it for the first lockdown.

Soldato
Imagine our government(or even worse Australia) with the ability to so easily turn off all personal transport, or enable it only for certain locations. Don't tell me they wouldn't have done it for the first lockdown.

You would have been able to make the trip for an 'eye test' to Barnard Castle ;)

Maybe I'll keep the horse ;)

Back
Top Bottom