petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Soldato
For me, the argument on range for an EV is similar to the battery life of a phone.

I don’t “need” a phone which can last 2 days, as I could charge it multiple times a day. But I find it inconvenient to do so.

The same with an EV. I could stick it on charge at time, then charge when I go to the shops, charge back at home etc, but the constant charging is more of a faff compared to just sticking 50L of fuel in once in a while.

Soldato
Just seems at the end of the day, people who do large distances regular are going to be punished by creeping prices. Like I say, I have to travel hundreds of miles to and from work regular, I simply can't afford an EV that will handle that mileage within the realms of practicality. Sure, I could buy a cheapy and then turn a 5hr drive into a 10hr drive by having to stop every 50 mile to charge the thing up.

I will have to continue paying ridiculous fuel prices, because it will still be cheaper than an EV that will work for me.

Associate
I'll happily have an electric when I feel they are suitable for how I want to use a car. No way I want to stop multiple times to charge to get up and around Scotland when at the minute I get an easy 750+miles to a tank. I'd say if I can have an honest 500 + miles I'll be happy, and that's without nursing it.
Chargers still need to be more available I don't want to have to search for them.
Going to work would be easy can charge for free at work so commuting would be almost free.

Then you will be wanting the nio et7. 620miles range.

https://www.nio.com/et7

Being released in Germany to take on the luxury market. Let's see how it goes.

Associate
Why can't some EV owners just accept that other people don't want them? This is the thing I hate most about EV ownership, it's like being a member of the Vegan society, a religion, a UK cycling club or an Apple User Group.
I like my Tesla and Polestar (a lot), but I can understand why other people may not and that's absolutely fine.

And Fuel car manufacturers persuade people to buy them when they didn't want them too.

Man of Honour
Who watches their EV to charge? What a strange behaviour

If you've stopped to charge purely to extend range on a journey what else are you going to do? Even if you sit in Costa Coffee and look out the window you're still basically sitting there waiting for it to charge :D

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Can we get back on to the topic of petrol station chaos?

I’ve noticed a lot of people pootling around today. Conservation mode: activated.

Soldato
I saw diesel at 199.9 on the A140 today, pretty nuts considering it’s a minor A road in and nowhere near a motorway.

Edit: my local Tesco is also out of diesel.

Soldato
When did petrol prices peak?

Screenshot-2022-03-12-195625.png

Prior to the war it was $100 which was up from about $80 on Jan 1st.

Associate
I paid £1.95 for super on the way back from a holiday in Scotland yesterday, although the prices didn't seem to affect the cruising speeds of everyone else on the motorways up there. Fun car now tucked away and using the electric for everyday duties, price fixed on its fuel for the next 2 years.

Soldato
Disappointingly looks like £2 targets not going to be achieved - it makes the maths easier (too)

maybe Amazon could start doing home deliveries of petrol - this would give parity of ev experience.

Associate
I saw diesel at 199.9 on the A140 today, pretty nuts considering it’s a minor A road in and nowhere near a motorway.

Edit: my local Tesco is also out of diesel.
Which petrol station on the A140 was that? The most expensive one I have seen locally is the shell on the A11/A47 junction at £1.79 on Friday.

Soldato
Which petrol station on the A140 was that? The most expensive one I have seen locally is the shell on the A11/A47 junction at £1.79 on Friday.

I’m pretty sure it was a Shell so it must have been the one in Long Stratton as that’s the only one.

Fairly sure all the other directly on the A140 are BP except the one at the end with the A14 and it wasn’t there I saw it.

Associate
I feel pretty fortunate having paid 162.9 for Tesco Momentum 99 near me earlier. Wasn't even that busy so long may that continue round here (Wirral). There's a few of the smaller garages around (who usually put a few pence on top) having diesel at 196/litre :(

Back
Top Bottom