petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Soldato
I'd like the petrol suppliers who set the prices @ wholesale.. to explain why they are still selling fuel at such inflated prices. when the base product is not at a price that warrents it.

Although, I fully expect they would say: "Due to the rise in energy cost.. it costs more to refine the fuel. which is passed on"...

I'd understand that, If...:
1. These refineries were not owned by the companies that SUPPLY energy to the market. Hence... its basically free for them to use as it's already theirs.
2. The Likes of BP were not announcing absolutely massive profits.. directly linked to the increase in fuel cost.

But hey, what's lil old me moaning about it going to do. Nothing. It is what it is.

So... I've ordered myself a Electric Scooter, to commute to work on. I'll have to stick to the alleyways and back roads to avoid the naysayers and police ... Heh.

Permabanned
I'd like the petrol suppliers who set the prices @ wholesale.. to explain why they are still selling fuel at such inflated prices. when the base product is not at a price that warrents it.

Although, I fully expect they would say: "Due to the rise in energy cost.. it costs more to refine the fuel. which is passed on"...

I'd understand that, If...:
1. These refineries were not owned by the companies that SUPPLY energy to the market. Hence... its basically free for them to use as it's already theirs.
2. The Likes of BP were not announcing absolutely massive profits.. directly linked to the increase in fuel cost.

But hey, what's lil old me moaning about it going to do. Nothing. It is what it is.

So... I've ordered myself a Electric Scooter, to commute to work on. I'll have to stick to the alleyways and back roads to avoid the naysayers and police ... Heh.

i ditched the cars and got a push bike and done the same for my commute

Man of Honour
That's literally a 2 second clip. I've faffed about with different readers in places I've never been before for longer than that. Heck I'll go in a supermarket to buy lunch and need 2 second to figure out which side of the checkout is the correct bagging area or whatever. I could probably count the number of times I've needed to hold an item up to a non-fixed barcode scanner on the fingers of one hand.

It's no wonder you see politicians play the cameras at times if this is what society has come to, trying to catch someone out on the basis of a 2s video clip.

Man of Honour
Takes me ages to use contactless at petrol stations as they normally seem to have the readers where it'll only work if you stick it on the top rather than waving it across the front, which I forget every time.

Soldato
Watch the full video, it’s clearly a publicity stunt gone wrong to try and look relatable in the media and in the socials.

It’s easy to look relatable, if you are relatable, that’s the issue.

Soldato
Went to a BP, which was cheaper than all local supermarkets for some reason by 7p, and started putting in premium diesel at 189 by accident

Thankfully only did a quid, but that would have made an expensive refuel even worse :p

Soldato
In the budget they announced a 5p duty cut in fuel did they not? So last night after 6pm a lot of places prices went down a lot. If you shop around round here you can get 159.9 a litre of 95 unleaded.

Caporegime
That's literally a 2 second clip. I've faffed about with different readers in places I've never been before for longer than that. Heck I'll go in a supermarket to buy lunch and need 2 second to figure out which side of the checkout is the correct bagging area or whatever. I could probably count the number of times I've needed to hold an item up to a non-fixed barcode scanner on the fingers of one hand.

It's no wonder you see politicians play the cameras at times if this is what society has come to, trying to catch someone out on the basis of a 2s video clip.

He's holding his credit card up to a barcode scanner or god's sake.

Caporegime

you understand how paying for goods works though right?

you have the items scanned, then you pay for them at the card reader
In his other hand is the Coke can he was trying to scan. No big deal. Not sure why everyone jumping on it
The coke is on the counter so the shop keeper can see what Rishi is buying like we are back in the 1980s, it's not in his hand until the cashier points to it.
watch the full vid with sound from the mic he's wearing.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10647013/Rishi-Sunak-mocked-fills-Kia-Rio-Sainsburys.html
He clearly has no idea how you buy goods in the modern world.

No way he would know what it's like to be unable to sleep at night because of rising bills and money problems.

we need people in power who lived a normal life at some point, not one closeted away from society in a bubble where everything is done for them.

Man of Honour
He's holding his credit card up to a barcode scanner or god's sake.
Yep, maybe he thought that was a card reader. I've used WAY more handheld card readers than I have handheld barcode readers. Like I said, maybe 5 times max have I used a handheld barcode scanner. I don't know I would instantly recognise it any quicker than the 1s or whatever it is he holds it up for?

you understand how paying for goods works though right?

you have the items scanned, then you pay for them at the card reader
I'd like to think so, and that isn't always how it works. Sometimes where the point of sale is manned by a human, as it is in this instance, I pay for goods without scanning any any items, just my credit card. The human types the amount in their checkout or whatever. This is less common when buying lots of items, but if it is just one common item, in a small outlet, the cashier may know the item price.

Tried to watch the full video but it's not loading, I appreciate there may be more to it than the 2s clip, but it's the 2s clip that's been tweeted and highlighted in the forum.

edit: I was thinking on this some more to figure out if I was making too many excuses for him. And I came away thinking no, if anything the more I think about it them more this doesn't show him as a man out of touch with the "real working man". The real working man might buy stuff down the market where they just go "that's two pound please mate" and you pay without any bar code scanning. It's these posh folk that are so familiar with buying items using bar code scanners that are out of touch. Additionally, maybe he doesn't even need to be told the price before presenting payment card, because he is in touch with reality enough to know that a can of pop costs maybe a couple of quid, not thousands of pounds, and to him whether it costs £1 or £3 isn't going to affect him (potentially the price was displayed wherever he picked it up from anyway). Same as a lot of people, you are thirsty, you pay for a drink even if its not the cheapest shop in town.

Last edited:
Soldato
per govt website, https://www.gov.uk/guidance/fuel-duty#paying-fuel-duty corroborating r4, implies duty is payable at the point the petrol arrives at the station,
so any reduction, would strictly apply to new fuel when existing is used up,
reduction before that supply is used up would be from the garages profits (sainsbury did have a recent offer for 5p off a litre)

Imports from countries outside the EU

If you import fuel from outside the EU, it’s liable for duty when it reaches the UK.

You will not need to pay it at that point if:

• it’s delivered to an excise warehouse approved to hold imported oil, or to an approved oil producer’s premises

... how does duty on alcohol /pub-beer work ?

Back
Top Bottom