petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Man of Honour
If we were still in the office 5 days a week I'd be looking at the thick end of £150 a week in fuel and be on the hunt for a new job.
I'm paid a decent wage but I still wouldn't want to be dropping £600 a month to get there and back.

Even at just £1 a litre you'd still be paying £300 a month just for fuel to commute.

Caporegime
If we were still in the office 5 days a week I'd be looking at the thick end of £150 a week in fuel and be on the hunt for a new job.
I'm paid a decent wage but I still wouldn't want to be dropping £600 a month to get there and back.
Get a new car then

Soldato
I've had to drop an email to work asking them to look into the fuel rates. I realise their hands are slightly tied by the HMRC rates and I don't want to be causing a fuss over a few quid but I'm now about £100 a month out of pocket to drive for my job :(

Soldato
I'd be very surprised if many cars from 1994 did this. Neither my 1999 Mondeo or 2001 5 Series did, the first car I owned that did was a 2008 3 Series.

It was an M-Reg E38 740i but, as you said, there can't be many others of that age that do, I've just been lucky maybe? However my 1998 Mondeo ST24, with a retro-fitted Ghia X CC setup, definitely did so I'm not sure why your '99 Mondeo didn't.

Soldato
I'd be very surprised if many cars from 1994 did this. Neither my 1999 Mondeo or 2001 5 Series did, the first car I owned that did was a 2008 3 Series.
Some cars are just incredibly effective at engine braking. I was convinced my C180 had cruise with brake but it was just engine braking. Easy for folk to mix up l think.

Man of Honour
One of our drivers dropped some stuff off at a garden centre and they are not happy as they have to use regular, instead of red, diesel now for their forklifts and the current prices are close to putting them out of business apparent (not sure how much that is hyperbole) and they've had to sack one of their drivers as he was sneaking in a jerry can worth on the company fuel card every time he filled the van up.

Man of Honour
It was an M-Reg E38 740i but, as you said, there can't be many others of that age that do, I've just been lucky maybe? However my 1998 Mondeo ST24, with a retro-fitted Ghia X CC setup, definitely did so I'm not sure why your '99 Mondeo didn't.

Neither of these cars had a cruise control system which used the brakes for anything at all. Pretty sure the first BMW fitted with this functionality was the E65 7 Series and then all new models since then.

I'm pretty sure any car that does do it will also have some form of stability control (as this is the method by which it can apply the brakes independent of the driver action on the pedal) which further rules out the Mk2 Mondeo which only had basic traction control which cut power when wheelspin was detected.

Soldato
My commute is a 25 mile round trip. 14 days per 4wks. I think I'm paying an extra 50 quid a month compared to this time last year. Sucks for sure but no where near as bad as it is others who travel further. My condolences for those paying a small mortgage worth a fuel per month.

Soldato
After giving it some thought I've swapped my mileage rate around so rather than claiming business miles at HMRC rates I'll now put all the fuel for my company car through expenses and pay back private miles at the HMRC rate. As prices drop I'm sure there will be times that my applied pence per litre amount is more than the actual fuel cost but I can't see the deficit ever being as high as it is now (around 30 pence per litre!) and I have the benefit of my fuel cost now being calculated at a fixed 52.7 MPG which is right on the upper limits of what is actually achievable in my car (long term average on the trip computer is normally 46 to 47 mpg).

So you have me to thank when fuel prices drop through the floor on 2nd September the day after HMRC set their next rate :p

Permabanned
If everybody went on a stay at home protest I wonder how long it would take for someone to sort this mess out. Imagine the whole country on a self imposed lockdown until fuel returns to at least £1.50 a litre. Never going to happen obviously, people can’t seem to stick together for a common cause, but I’d imagine it’ll be pretty effective.

Soldato
If everybody went on a stay at home protest I wonder how long it would take for someone to sort this mess out. Imagine the whole country on a self imposed lockdown until fuel returns to at least £1.50 a litre. Never going to happen obviously, people can’t seem to stick together for a common cause, but I’d imagine it’ll be pretty effective.

You say people can't stick together for a common cause? How would people earn a living that cannot work from home?

More details needed in your proposal really

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
After giving it some thought I've swapped my mileage rate around so rather than claiming business miles at HMRC rates I'll now put all the fuel for my company car through expenses and pay back private miles at the HMRC rate. As prices drop I'm sure there will be times that my applied pence per litre amount is more than the actual fuel cost but I can't see the deficit ever being as high as it is now (around 30 pence per litre!) and I have the benefit of my fuel cost now being calculated at a fixed 52.7 MPG which is right on the upper limits of what is actually achievable in my car (long term average on the trip computer is normally 46 to 47 mpg).

So you have me to thank when fuel prices drop through the floor on 2nd September the day after HMRC set their next rate :p

That’s a fair system and one we used to adopt, we had a fuel card where all the fuel was put on that and we just paid the company back our private miles every month. Nice fair system.

Soldato
How much will you be paying them to do that? 80% of their wages worked quite well last time but it's going to cost you quite a lot.

Permabanned
Why would I be paying someone to stay at home yet alone millions?

Look it’s a tongue in cheek proposal at best. You, along with your fellow man take one for the team making some sacrifice for the greater good. Take a weeks holiday, play with your kids, smell the flowers while the Government excretes a brick. We want a return back to sensible levels or else. It’s a game of bluff.

The other hand continue to bend over and be grateful you no longer require lube.

Soldato
Why would I be paying someone to stay at home yet alone millions?

Look it’s a tongue in cheek proposal at best. You, along with your fellow man take one for the team making some sacrifice for the greater good. Take a weeks holiday, play with your kids, smell the flowers while the Government excretes a brick. We want a return back to sensible levels or else. It’s a game of bluff.

The other hand continue to bend over and be grateful you no longer require lube.

Take a week's holiday and stay at home? You realise that holiday isn't free right?

I don't get how it is tongue in cheek.

Permabanned
Take a week's holiday and stay at home? You realise that holiday isn't free right?

I don't get how it is tongue in cheek.
Holiday is earned through time at work it’s a legal requirement for your employer based on your contract.

Your missing the point though. It’s the same as the RMT. The union provides strength through numbers because one person on their own is weak, many people together is much stronger, therefore more able to force the government to do what they need to do.

Having the mentality of Oliver gets you nowhere or nothing please sir can I have some more. Hitting them where it hurts as a collective force will get the job done. They work on our behalf they just need reminding of their place in this world.

Caporegime
My commute is a 25 mile round trip. 14 days per 4wks. I think I'm paying an extra 50 quid a month compared to this time last year. Sucks for sure but no where near as bad as it is others who travel further. My condolences for those paying a small mortgage worth a fuel per month.

I literally changed job before this all really went nuts. I just filled up £140 and I only do once a month as my commute is only 13 miles a day. Earlier this year it was 26 a day which still isn't bad but would have cost me an extra £1700 a year. When you add energy bills going up £1500 a year I would technically be 3 grand worse off!!!!

Back
Top Bottom