Petrol strimmer advice

Soldato
Hi guys, At the moment I have a 25cc line strimmer. The strimmer works but the head is rubbish as I cant get the line to come out on its own.

So im thinking about buying a new strimmer with a stronger engine that I can use one of these metal chains you can buy, but you can only buy the strimmers with a blade or line.

Im thinking a chain something like the would be good for edge cutting........https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lawnmower-...ateway&sprefix=strimmer+,aps,212&sr=8-30&th=1 But I need a strimmer strong enough to rotate the chains nice and fast and i need one that will fit..

your thoughts.

Soldato
Can't you just buy a new good quality bump feed head instead if the original one is worn out?

Be a lot cheaper than a new strimmer if there's otherwise nothing else wrong?

Yeah also i wouldn't want to use one of those chain things without really serious PPE, talking properly reinforced boots, leg protection etc.

Soldato
OP
Well I was looking at a new head that would fit the strimmer but now the strimmer is leaking by the fuel pipes and wont start for some reason, so its time for a new one guys.. All the strimmers I have bought, I can never seem to replace the line so it runs out of the head and I have to take it apart every few mins to and get the line out manually. So this is the main reason to get one with a chain, even if its just a thin strong chain because I just want to be able to use it without messing about with the line. Apparently the metal blade you get with striimmers are not very good?

I have a big garden and will use the strimmer mainly for edging, but also I have a few larger areas that I cant get with the mower so I will need the strimmer for those bits too.

Soldato
All the strimmers I have bought, I can never seem to replace the line so it runs out of the head and I have to take it apart every few mins to and get the line out manually
My Stihl petrol strimmer is a nightmare for this. If I wrap the line tightly, it loosens and contracts the line when I bump the head , and if I wrap it loosely then it tangles and traps itself, or otherwise won't feed properly. ****** me right off.

I bought one of these last year, was lucky to get it for £70

we have brambles out the front of our house and it cuts through them no issues. It lasts probably 40 mins on a charge. Thats enough strimming at a time I find!
Its got more than enough power to completely strip the turf if you change the angle.

Our previous one was a heavy duty, bosch i think, that had the option of having a fixed line much more heavy duty line attached, so not fed but just a fixed length.

Its never once yet had the no line issue and funnily I was only thinking the other day I should check to see how much is left as surely it must be getting close to running out.

I have had the bump to feed ones before and would always now go for one that autofeeds. I think the bumping causes line feed issues etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DXV8YNW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Soldato
OP
I keep saying "I" but I wont be using it, as Im in a wheelchair, its for my family members to use. I am like doing the donkey work to do my very best to get half a decent strimmer that works flawless without spending a lot.. Like at the moment no one likes using the strimmer as its very time consuming to use, with the line constantly going wrong. If I could strim,, I would put up with it but I cant, so our garden looks like a jungle where the mower can't get.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Not sure if it helps but I have a Husqvarna 545RX (bought second hand for about £300, but I know it'll outlast a rubbish cheaper model). I have both the grass blade (https://www.worldofpower.co.uk/husqvarna-trimmer-grass-255-blade-3-tooth-1.html) and saw blade (https://www.worldofpower.co.uk/husqvarna-5784427-01-saw-blade-scarlet-225-24t-1in.html) for it. They take a couple of minutes to swap over from the normal head. Stihl have similar products.

I have to say I have zero issues with the bump head on mine - are you sure you're all winding yours properly?

The saw blade is super nasty and will eat through very thick brush. As it's a powerful machine you can load it with thicker line though which doesn't snap as easy so I've never really found a need for the grass blade.

This shows both the Husqvarna and Stihl equivalent saw blades on a trimmer - nasty!

Soldato
OP
I have tried it with thin stuff, think stuff but it either breaks off in the head, comes out on its own or it doesnt come out when you bump it.. Actually the strimmer started leaking before I was able to test the thin line. Also the strimmer has always been used with the choke on, as people are useless using chokes, so preference I would like one with a auto choke

Soldato
Based on my recent experiences I would suggest buying "name" brand because the cheap stuff just isn't supported with spares and none of the local maintenance companies want to touch it with a bargepole for a service. My Suffolk Punch lawnmower on the other hand they'll happily give a service because they know they can get all the parts.

Soldato
I've had a pack of those exact heads for my strimmer, they're... OK... i've only had 1 when it tangled itself up, but i tend to have the opposite problem of it going though line super quickly as it just keeps feeding out. I'm on the look out for a decent quality bump head, i think i need to just stump up and get a proper Stihl one or something as their stuff just works.

Soldato
OP
Stihl strimmers can be just as bad for the heads... The "speed feed strimmer head" looks awesome tho, but it costs like £40 and you cant get them in this country.

Back
Top Bottom