Petrol vs diesel and the variance from claimed figures.

Soldato
My question, do they vary from claimed figures by the same margin?

We all know that the official figures published for cars are not realistic but merely serve as a comparison mechanism between models. Is the error the same for petrols as diesels?

I’m trying to figure out whether an efficient petrol is viable for 30k miles a year.

Caporegime
I’d imagine (just like with diesels) it varies from car to car and usage case.

The wife’s 1.4 Petrol Polo actually beats it’s published combined cycle figure for her usage most of the time.

My old A4 2.0 TDie came within about 5% most of the time.

My S3 (when driven carefully/economically) is probably a good 20% off the claimed figure.

So even within the same group of brands I’ve seen variance.

Soldato
It definitely varies. I find that non-turbo cars achieve closer to claimed figures. I don’t know if that’s because they’re easier to drive gently without accidentally using too much boost.

I used to do 30k miles a year and used a 2.0 petrol SKYACTIV Mazda 3. It never really went below 50mpg and 55-60mpg was achievable (as long as the journey was longer than to the local supermarket!).

It’s definitely viable.

Associate
For me it's been my most powerful cars that have come the closest to the official MPG figures. I'm guessing the fact I don't have to rev their nuts off to make them move at a decent rate is probably what helps them most.

Soldato
For me it's been my most powerful cars that have come the closest to the official MPG figures. I'm guessing the fact I don't have to rev their nuts off to make them move at a decent rate is probably what helps them most.

I've noticed that too.

Small, turbo engine figures are way off I find. I never got anywhere near the 47mpg combined when I had my mk7 Fiesta ST (more like mid 30s). The mk2 Focus ST I had before that was pretty close to the official figure though, even when tuned.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've never had a car I couldn't get the published figures in and exceed. But some are definitely easier to achieve than others.

Man of Honour
A lot will depend on the condition the car is in, tyres, fuel, way it is driven, etc.

My current vehicle (Navara) is rated:

MPG Urban 22.2 mpg
MPG Extra Urban 37.2 mpg
MPG Combined 29.7 mpg

Tends to get around 26-28 mpg on mixed trips involving around 50/50 sitting in slow traffic through town then on reasonably flowing country lanes, same trip when quiet 33-35 mpg - get it out on decent roads and it can just about hit 40 mpg.

Soldato
aren't the new wltp regulations fixing this diparity ?
prior to that just use the german spirit site to find true mpg

Soldato
Over the years I think I've found with BMW sportier models, ie, Z4 3.0 Si, Z4 M Coupe and even an two old E30 M3's, all the cars achieved higher than the manufacturer combined figure. The X1 that I currently own doesn't, 44.5 currently, 48 I think is the combined. I seem to remember an old 320 diesel compact exceeding the combined figure too, but not entirely sure, but I have 54MPG in my head vs 49 combined. Also have a Yaris and that's under too (44.7 vs 50.1) Note that these are all according to the OBC - I've never done the maths. I've done similar driving over the years or if not I've reset the OBC and tested under similar conditions.
I think BMW test their more sporty cars under conditions the car could be used, harder driving.

Soldato
Every car is tested under exactly the same conditions - that's the point in the old NEDC and now new WLTP testing procedures.
Very true.
I'd like to try an M2 vs a 220i. My suspicion is that driving both cars the same way, conservatively, the M2 will over achieve on MPG vs the 220i which may struggle to reach it's combined figure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom