Peugeot 308 GTi opinions

Associate
Has anyone owned a new shape 308 GTi 270 and can give a bit of feed back?
Trying to make a short list and they look good on paper and get reasonable reviews.
A good lump cheaper than a golf GTi but with a sniff more performance. Just trying to work out if they are a genuine option.

Soldato
Came last in a recent group test between the Golf and the i30 N, I think. Not read it myself, mind (so please correct me if wrong) – and last is hardly bad, out of those three. It's still a much-liked car.

I shortlisted this car some time ago then as one of my checks I checked the expected depreciation...

I cant find the site I used now and the main one I was using isnt listing the 270 at the mo, but the 225 for example
shows P11d value £27,755 expected residual at 3 years 30000miles, £8900, depreciation £18,855 (check peugeots own PCP they provide a similar number I found)

compare Focus St eco 350 P11d £31910 Residual at 3, 30000miles, £16,275 depreciation £15,635

If you look at most poogots they depreciate like sterling after Brexit vote, always have

I found the peugeots expensive to PCP, killing on depreciation. About the only way i would say they are value for money vs other cars if its a fully expensed company one.

Soldato
Drove a 308 recently as a hire car, wouldn't matter how it drove having to sit in it would be enough to kill it off, the dials were all in awful positions and nothing was intuitive whatsoever, plus it had a stupid touch screen controlling most stuff that was nigh on useless when moving.

Soldato
Residuals are shocking on these which makes them a very expensive purchase new. However 12-18months old once they have taken the hit is the sweet spot on the French cars. Typically 50% cheaper than new which then offers much better value than the VAG competition etc that hold value.

You can buy an M240i or M140i cheaper than the 308GTi on PCP due to a considerably stronger residuals and subsidised APRs. They are considerably quicker cars too. Actually, I think these work out cheaper than the Golf etc at the moment as well.

Residuals and depreciation make a huge difference.

All that aside, I had a look at the 308 and did not like the cockpit layout.

Associate
Came last in a recent group test between the Golf and the i30 N, I think. Not read it myself, mind (so please correct me if wrong) – and last is hardly bad, out of those three. It's still a much-liked car.

Get this months evo (March) it has the n30, golf gti performance & 308 group test, probably the one you are talking about, they are all 4.5 star cars, summary result, last place golf, easiest to live with. not engaging, 2nd, 308, most entertaining of the 3, lightest, fastest, edgy, looks dull, uses the least fuel, winner i30N proper mature performance car, could do with being lighter, never feels quick.

Whilst they were graded that way, there is apparently not a lot to choose between 'em.

308 hit 100mph a second quicker than the other two despite giving away 400cc

308 looks a great secondhand buy.

Last edited:
Soldato
I sat in 308 and the steering wheel was blocking the dash. I don't get it?!? Either I'm too short or too tall.

Anyone else find this as well?

Associate
I would be buying with cash.
it doesn't matter if you're buying with cash or pcp - surely the depreciation needs to be considered? If those figures by MKW are roughly correct, you're effectively throwing 3k out the window for choosing the pug over a st... Think of it as a 1k/yr road tax just to drive the pug - worth it???

Associate
But he's banking on the depreciation to pick up a good value second-hand quite new motor.

After a few years of ownership both the ST and 308s values will be in the toilet, there won't be much to choose between them.

If you plan to modify any, the Gti is by far the best. Stock engine can take 500hp easily.

Really any links to places that have done it, this car was already looking like a weapon for sprinting in the south west where it falls into a favourable category with good power and reasonable weight outpacing or equalling cars like the typer, megane and golf from the class above, would be interesting to know tuning cost and see hiw fragile it might become.

Man of Honour
Residuals are shocking on these which makes them a very expensive purchase new. However 12-18months old once they have taken the hit is the sweet spot on the French cars. Typically 50% cheaper than new which then offers much better value than the VAG competition etc that hold value.

Agreed - depreciation not necessarily a bad thing if buying used - you still might lose more in depreciation than another marque at the same price point, but you'd have a newer / better spec car relative than had you bought new, which could more than make up for that. In other words, say you had £15k to spend. That might get you a £27k list price Peugeot but only say a £23k list price VW of the same age.

Even when buying new the depreciation thing is slightly diminished anyway when you consider some cars area already discounted by around 25% via brokers. Based on research I've gone over the year, the likes of Peugeot, Ford and Seat often have sizeable discounts on list price so year 1 depcreciation might be say 40% officially but the reality is probably only half that.

Soldato
I test drove one before buying my Megane. I liked it a lot, although there was not a lot of space in the back and the interior was very dark. I didn't have any issue with the relationship between the wheel and displays.

I think a used facelift version would be a very, very good buy.

Soldato
eally any links to places that have done it, this car was already looking like a weapon for sprinting in the south west where it falls into a favourable category with good power and reasonable weight outpacing or equalling cars like the typer, megane and golf from the class above, would be interesting to know tuning cost and see hiw fragile it might become.
Micloi is the man with the mental Superb, so I believe him :D

Associate
Really any links to places that have done it, this car was already looking like a weapon for sprinting in the south west where it falls into a favourable category with good power and reasonable weight outpacing or equalling cars like the typer, megane and golf from the class above, would be interesting to know tuning cost and see hiw fragile it might become.

An example here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTGp6PW7JxA&list=PLyGPFdHIDoU6q4573Slqtb-3l1UvYFkI8

Done by VRS performance in Northampton who did my stage 3 work too. Highly recommended, ask for Will if you go for something like that and tell him I sent you, he will take care of you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI9k383s7Z8

Associate
Ah, you meant Golf Gti, that's not so good for a sprint/hillclimb car as it goes in the class above which is unlimited capacity and typically dominated by things like Gtr, Evos 911 turbo etc.

I thought you meant the 308 GTI which fits in the 1800 - 2600cc category after a 1.4x multiplier for boost.

Back
Top Bottom