Peugeot 309 Deisel wont stArt

Permabanned
A friend of mine (Martine) says here car Peugeot 309 Deisel won't start in cold weather any suggestions.

I have suspicion the garage are trying to rip her off and make her get another car. Vauxhall Cavalier, I mean for god sake she would ask what the mpg is. :confused: telling me the engine size and could I work it out from that :mad:

Any way any tips.

And what's a really cheap old car that goes for ever. I was think a VW Polo or Golf but then I'm not really knowledgable about cars.

Soldato
For the mean time, try turning the key so the plugs warm up, turn off ignition, turn back on and wait till the plugs heat up again, and then start.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Enfields bang on the money.
Just glow the plugs 2 even 3 times before attempting to start. Then get a set of glow plugs and bang them in, it's about the easiest job there is.

Soldato
Indeed :/ in case your friend doesnt know how to start a diesel ( or yourself )

The fuel has to be heated by the glowplugs when it starts. When you turn the key as described, you should see a light come on somewhere on your dashboard. Ideally youre supposed to wait till that goes off before turning the key the rest of the way.

If the plugs are on their way out, you just repeat this heating / warming process a few times :)

Associate
Check the battery first being a diesel places a greater strain on the battery at startup so check it's well charged as once the cold weather comes it tends to be the first thing that can fall over and stop working. ;)

Next check the glow plugs....

Associate
As everyone says above, give the glowplugs two or three go's before starting. If not, check the glow plugs. A couple of them are tricky to get to but not impossible. Best way is to remove the power wire and then test each plug with a circuit tester. Failing that, check the battery, diesels need a good battery to start, moreso when it's cold. Lastly, the glow plug timer could be broken, but it's usually the glow plugs causing the problem. :)

Back
Top Bottom