Peugeot have really upped their game!

Soldato
When we were looking round for a car for the wife, we tried loads of cars in this segment. We bought a 2008 Feline Mistral second hand for 9 grand with only 14k on the clock. We're now up to 45k and no issues so far.

I'd be very wary of any peugeot of the 206 era - however their newer models are fantastic.

Peugeot.jpg

They reckon 11k in 4yrs if I do a PCP. PCP gives me more of a discount it seems, even if I pay it off with a tesco loan a day later.

I'm sure it was Peugeot giving the discount, not the dealer

If they do drop like a stone though, maybe keeping the car on a PCP is best. That way I know what's what. Imagine if in four years it worth £500

Yes it will be. Carwow will detail it, or go to the manufacturers site they will also give a PCP quote.
That site I linked above I used as well as the manufacturer site to check both came in similar on expected residuals. They did in all cases.
I had shortlisted about 5 cars at this point, Focus St3, TT, 308Gti, A class, skoda. I liked them all to different degrees, when I looked at the cost of ownership over 3 years the 308 got punted, it was way out of line.
What you need to do is look at cost / years you would own it. If you bought new would you run it for 5 years for example, but if you buy 1 year old only 4 years? What about warranty etc.

As far as paying off PCP, yes you need to withdraw from the agreement. There are some posts on here when I questioned it about 18 months ago. Its quite simple, you take out the finance to secure the manu deposit, then once you take delivery, within 14 days, you contact the finance company and say you want to withdraw. At that point they should stop interest, give you a settlement figure and confirm you have now withdrawn, its nullified as if it never existed at that point. You owe them the money.
No idea what they do if you don't pay, take you to court I assume.

Soldato
I can’t say I’ve seen the same as you in the ones I’ve had to endure as hire cars for work. Always found the interior plasticky and so badly laid out it made no sense how they could get it so wrong, think I’ve had a 308,2008 and 3008 all the same.

all have steering wheels that get in the way of the dials! How can it be that hard?

luckily only had them for a day or two, my missus thought exactly the same. She hated them compared to even the Hyundai i30 she was given once. The golf is usually what we get and it’s such a massive step up from a build and drive experience

Soldato
OP
all have steering wheels that get in the way of the dials! How can it be that hard?

Didn't get in the way on my test drive. In fact, I thought the icockpit was easily as good as the audi virtual cockpit

actually, how can it get in the way as the cockpit is really high up?

Associate
Having recently had to get rid of my 208GTI I can from my own anicdotal evidence advise that they are an awful bag of bolts.

I absolutely loved the car. It was epically fun to drive. Loved the interior. Comfortable yet quick. However...

High pressure fuel pump went
Epic rattles from the dash (eventually stopped so assume something fell off...)
Rear windscreen washer plastic pipe snapped
Clutch had an awful groan at 1st gear bite point in the cold (I believe from a rusted bearing or something)
Passenger seat pull forward mechanism wouldn’t always lock back in place.
Suspension top mounts went
Awful creeks from all round the chassis
Last but not least - engine completely went. All cylinders leaking / losing compression.

Car was 4.5 years old at th end of 4 year PCP. Just paid the £6,500 balloon payment then had to sell it for £2,900 with a broken engine.

Soldato
I agree for the most part. Have never been impressed with Peugeots at all of any era but the new 508 looks great and I honestly don't think I could knock the exterior/interior at all.

What I'm not sure about is the engines. Having had a Mondeo with a PSA diesel engine it felt very agricultural, more so than the 320d I had before it. But then diesels are a compromise at best anyway. The 180bhp 1.6 petrol seems good on paper though.

Caporegime
Lots of dislike for older Peugeor models, and for good reason. In the 2000's and even earlier this decade their cards were bland, unimaginative and woefully unreliable. Just look at the gorgeous lines of the 306 and then the 307 that came after it. Or the 205 to 206. Sales dropped and they had a good, hard look at their line up and the more modern cars are really very good now. They (mostly) look great, drive well and are competitively priced. A shame the stigma is still there, as evidenced by many of the comment above. I loved my 306 GTI-6 to bits, but it was the very epitome of French electrics being unreliable.

Soldato
OP
The new 508 looks awesome

You sit it one if you get the chance. The interior looks even better than the exterior!
Plus, in the flesh they really do look amazing! Photos don't show off how low down they are. They aee almost sportcar low. Not good if you have a bad back though, you'd never get in it.

Hats off to the designer, but I guess the people working on the underneath needs to up their game (unless the new ones are ok? I guess time will tell)

Soldato
CAR Magazine have been raving about the 508. :)

Peugeot (and Citroen) have taken great strides to (1) improve residual values, (2) improve quality, and (3) ensure that they are sustainably profitable. Carlos Tavares is really taking them (and now us) places. :)

Back
Top Bottom