Phantasy Star Online... Offline

Soldato
I set up my Dreamcast again. I picked up Phantasy Star Online ages ago with the intention of playing online, but I picked up v1 not v2, which is less supported. I can't be arsed setting up my DreamPi and playing it online, for only certain hours of the day when other people play (like 20 people in the world). So I haven't really touched it since as I thought it was online only, but it looks like it is not?

This is my first time playing it. I'm not sure what to expect. I am not an MMO person, how will it compare to Destiny 2 (about the closest I've got to an MMO). I am expected "quite badly" as games like D2 are dumbed down so people like me can play them and PSO will just go over my head. e.g. it's got a flow diagram for getting online and into lobbies!

aVQR2TEl.jpg

I have no idea what character / build I am going for. Time to rtfm!

Anyway does anyone have any tips? Memories? Fun quests?

Since writing that lot I've got into the game and it looks very nice indeed on my 17" dell LCD. Looks a bit Mass Effecty!

1V1XOFIh.jpg

sNRgkrgh.jpg

Associate
I was about to write a few pointers down but then saw that your post was a couple of months old. Did you manage a playthrough? If you used the class in your screenshots as a first time player solo then that was pretty brave!

Soldato
Have you got a Gamecube? If so, I would highly recommend picking up a copy for it instead. It's much better.

I was HUcast, great with blades and uses traps. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but there was 4 of us that played at once, so we each played our part, not sure what he'd be like single player.

It's a great grind, we loved it.

As for Destiny, it's clearly inspired by the PS series. But modern vs old, PS is going to show it's age.

Soldato
OP
I was about to write a few pointers down but then saw that your post was a couple of months old. Did you manage a playthrough?

No I kept dying on the first battle so I played something else after about 30 minutes of trying!

If you used the class in your screenshots as a first time player solo then that was pretty brave!

This may be related to the above point...

Have you got a Gamecube? If so, I would highly recommend picking up a copy for it instead. It's much better.

No but I have Wii. Episode 1 and 2 don't seem crazy expensive like some GC games can get...

I was HUcast, great with blades and uses traps. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but there was 4 of us that played at once, so we each played our part, not sure what he'd be like single player.

It's a great grind, we loved it.

As for Destiny, it's clearly inspired by the PS series. But modern vs old, PS is going to show it's age.

Yes, I got bored quite quickly! I would consider taking it online except that 1) I have version 1 not version 2.0 and 2) I will still probably get bored and it wouldn't be worth the set-up time.

Back
Top Bottom