• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

phenom x4 970t blck edtition

Associate
Right, i may have just done something stupid, but i orderd a phenom x4

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....036645&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3114wt_905

it looks legit, but compared to the new amd bulldozers how do you think it will perform for the price i paid?, stock speed at 3.5ghz on a x6? and then potentail over clock to 4.3ghz or more stabley, i know it wont evan touch the sandy bridge 2600k?

just a thought, as i orderd about 10 minutes before i found out about the new Amd bulldozer chips

Soldato
I would have bought it cheaper from a shop to be honest :(

But its a good CPU if you already had a AM3 board its a good buy, i personally would have got a X6 but it matters what it is you are using it for.

Last edited:
Associate
Did you not make a little mistake when you bought that dual xeon cpu system a month or two ago by not asking on here 1st? Same applies to this situation as it's personally not where I would have spent £140 odd on a new CPU, but it should be more than enough for anything either way.

Associate
OP
Did you not make a little mistake when you bought that dual xeon cpu system a month or two ago by not asking on here 1st? Same applies to this situation as it's personally not where I would have spent £140 odd on a new CPU, but it should be more than enough for anything either way.

The only thing i see as a mistake and would change now is spilling silver thermal compund onto the mobo and shorting therfore selling the cpus and building this x4/x6 system.

Can i not do my own thing on this forum without being judged and looked down at, for christ sake, whats the piont, i know i should nad could have asked for help, but there will be times when no ones there to help and you have to be independent.
i know the help is good to be there, but id rather learn myself, and gain the exepeerence than being told what i did wrong.

acording to my last build my psu is *crap* and you know what? after the ovp saved my 2 cpu's im not going to complain, and in my situation you wouldnt either

I would have bought it cheaper from a shop to be honest :(

But its a good CPU if you already had a AM3 board its a good buy, i personally would have got a X6 but it matters what it is you are using it for.

its the oem unreleased version, im getting a msi board that will unlock it to a x6 stock a 3.5ghz tehn overclock, to around 4ghz + mayby

Associate
OP
i just find it hard to belive every time i post on this forum i get a load of **** in return li "ask first" and i want help, but i want help when i ask for it? there no piont telling me to do something elese after ive already done it, and in reality, its my build and its my choice, weather its yours or not you still dont have to critasise me as you currently are doing.
i asked a question yes, but then again i got a completely irelavent answer didnt i?

oh and to save the hassel of me explaining why dont you read the link, this is no standerd x4

Soldato
thing is though, i don't think anyone is being really out of order. all people were saying is why is it a good decision to buy an X4 that 'will' unlock to an X6 for more than it costs to simply buy an X6 in the first place. as well thought the 970t BE was simply a Phenom II quad with some tweaks, C3 stepping isn't it? so how can they be 'unlocked' if they are only quad-cores? as far as i remember they aren't 'faulty' six-cores so there should be no cores to unlock...:confused:

definately confused now, since that says '8MB cache', when did AMD ever make a Phenom II X4 with 8MB L3? if they are Thubans they should be nice little chips, still though they shouldn't have any real overclocking advantage over normal X6 CPUs.

Last edited:
Soldato
ouch, bonus if it unlocks but i will laugh if you get burnt, cute how they dont mention what board they used to unlock the chip :rolleyes:

god thats true, since not all boards have the option. :eek: also don't really trust a lot of people on ebay especially with dodgy spelling, etc. selling products i haven't really heard of or read about, etc.

Associate
and the listing also says

"" Full OEM Version, Not Officially Released. Very Rare!! ""

LOL myself and you can actually buy the retail chip for £10 less with free postage.

OEM 1 year warranty
Retail 3 year warranty

Who in there right mind would buy that from the bay . lol.

Soldato
thing is though, i don't think anyone is being really out of order. all people were saying is why is it a good decision to buy an X4 that 'will' unlock to an X6 for more than it costs to simply buy an X6 in the first place. as well thought the 970t BE was simply a Phenom II quad with some tweaks, C3 stepping isn't it? so how can they be 'unlocked' if they are only quad-cores? as far as i remember they aren't 'faulty' six-cores so there should be no cores to unlock...:confused:

definately confused now, since that says '8MB cache', when did AMD ever make a Phenom II X4 with 8MB L3? if they are Thubans they should be nice little chips, still though they shouldn't have any real overclocking advantage over normal X6 CPUs.

iirc the retail 970s are denebs, while the OEMs are cut down thubans

Soldato
i would say chances of unlocking it to 6 core with a high OC without spending loads on a cooler is pretty near impossible, even without the temps chips dont always unlock all cores, so just as someone on ebay says it does, does not mean it will. good luck to you though, if it works out then fair play, but to be honest, i would have asked first bought second, not buy then kick off when people disagree with your purchase.
as stated, check the mobo you have decided to go with will support unlocking, what sort of bios settings it has when unlocked and how good they are at overclocking.

Associate
To be frank you started this thread saying you thought you did something stupid, a lot of people agreed with you and elaborated on why, then you complained that they were agreeing with you?

If you don't want opinions on your purchases, then don't post them :)

Associate
OP
i said i may of made a mistake, but i thought being smarter and knowing more than me you'd be able to look at the link i posted, and read in detail?
because half the people are asking things that are shown/explained in the link?
there giving me a 120 day warrenty, granted that would meen id have to post it back to hong kong, looking at their feedback i think im safe enough, he is a top rated seller with over 3400 buyers, and guess what, he only sells cpu's, check if you like but this is no B.S.

So to clear things up yes, it is a thuban, and i think it was canned before releese, they are cripppled 6 cores, with ebay buyer protection evan if it doesnt unlock, i can say the item is not as described, and recive a full refund.

but yes, its Garenteed otherwise a refund to unlock to a thuban 1705t x6 that runs stock speeds at 3.5ghz, witch i belive is the fastest x6?
also stability is garenteed.

for my motherboard, im going to get one of the msi 870 range maybe the fuision 870a, if i get a lucky bid, and yes they have support to unlcok cpu core from x4 to x6

Last edited:
Soldato
buying from the bay is always a risk, and buying from HK is even greater, but i wish you luck, if it comes off then you have got a X6 for the price of an X4, as for distance selling and sending it back, in theory, but im not 100% sure on HKs laws as to whether you would stand much luck on getting them to admit fault.
IF they have stress test EVERY cpu with the cores unlocked for 24hours + i would be amazed.

Associate
OP
^^^zosma???^^^
whats zosma?
anyway, yeah, you cant get it retail, thats why i just went on about reading before yo try and critisise.
evan if its not 24 hour stress tested i cant realy complain, tops im going to have it on is for 14 hours, and i would never hit 100% cpu usage.
the screen shots look pretty legit, but if ther is found any fault ebay will get me a refund, failing that paypal will.

anyway, do youre reseach, the quickest x6 runs at 3.3ghz? and a 1705t x6 @ 3.5ghz + a good overclock would outbench the 1100t overclocked.

Back
Top Bottom