Phil Collins

Caporegime
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album "Duke". Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy. Too intellectual. It was on "Duke" where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think "Invisible Touch" is the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time it deepens and enriches the meaning of the perceiving three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins, and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, its sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to "Land of Confusion", in this song Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. "In Too Deep" is the most moving pop song of the 1980s about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting, their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial, and therefore more satisfying in a narrower way, especially songs like "In The Air Tonight" and "Against All Odds". But I also think Phil Collins works best in the confines of the group than as a solo artist, and I stress the word "artist". This is "sussudio". A great, great song. A Personal favorite.

Man of Honour
I do like him.

When I first learned the drums in 1988, I trained in jazz / swing and very little rock was taught.

I basically taught myself rock with a bit help from Phil Collins. Inside Out being one I used as a starter.

Favourite Genesis track for me is Mama.

Soldato
OP was that your Two Colours Feeder vinyl in the random image thread? If so, awesome! I think we have the same taste in music.

Caporegime
OP
I do like him.

When I first learned the drums in 1988, I trained in jazz / swing and very little rock was taught.

I basically taught myself rock with a bit help from Phil Collins. Inside Out being one I used as a starter.

Favourite Genesis track for me is Mama.

I like that a lot too. I remember they had it on GTA as well which made a nice change from the usual rubbish on the radio stations. :cool:

OP was that your Two Colours Feeder vinyl in the random image thread? If so, awesome! I think we have the same taste in music.

Yep! Here's most of the Feeder stuff I currently own:

feederstuff1.jpg

The protagonist in American phsyco is also a big fan.

:D

I do like him though.

Soldato
Do you like Huey Lewis and The News?

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

(I do actually like Genesis btw, even after Gabriel)

Soldato
Huge Genesis fan here and I've seen them many times live. My personal highlight is seeing a performance of 'Suppers Ready' in Bruges sometime in the early eighties. Phil is an excellent drummer and it's a shame that ill health means that he can barely play at all now. :( If you're not a fan of their early work but would like to try something in between, I urge you to give 'Wind and Wuthering' a listen, it's a fantastic album.

Last edited:
Associate
That quote from American Psycho is just immense! :D

Big fan of Genesis and saw them in Paris a few years ago. Unlike most, I am not a fan of the early stuff, as I really don't get on with progressive, artsy rock (for the most part). Invisible Touch is where it's at! :D

Soldato
More Genesis, but phil had some cracking solo titles. Glad to see 'in too deep' got picked up on, his later stuff like two hearts allways were nice on the ear, very catchy.

What puts the guy on a pedestal for me though, Mama, just so powerfull... as a kid and still today, and turn it on again, such a great building intro.

A lot of stuff Genesis did just never gets old with me.

Associate
Along with Stewart Copeland and Manu Katche Phil Collins is the reason I took up drumming. A gifted drummer, great songwriter, singer and frontman - taking over from Peter Gabriel is not an easy task.
He became too successful for his own good during the eighties and it became fashionable to to hate him, in the same way it was fashionable to hate the Bee Gees after Saturday Night Fever.
His later albums were too bland for my liking and the Disney stuff I have no time for at all, but then he's writing for kid's films, so what else would anyone expect?
Phil's solo work was always best when he was still alternating between working solo and working with Genesis.
I really hope he gets to play the drums again in the future. Seeing the behind the scenes videos from the Going Back album with him trying to play with the sticks gaffa taped to his hands made me feel for him - no longer being able to play the instrument you love must be soul destroying.

Anyone who 'hates' Phil Collins may just be a tad jealous....;)

And Von Smallhausen is right - Inside Out is one of the greatest drums tracks ever.

Soldato
I can't express how much I hate Phil Collins as a solo artist.
Of course in the early 70s I saw the proper Genesis twice and Collins should have stayed on the drums.
He is the anti-christ.

Tell us about when you first saw Queen when they were supporting Mott the Hoople.

Again.

Back
Top Bottom