Phoenix Point - new strategy game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Associate
OP
I agree; it sounds different enough to XCOM to be its own thing whilst still having that killer gameplay. Hopefully we'll get another trailer & some game footage sometime soon!

Soldato
This.... looks interesting enough and it IS the style of game I adore (can't get enough of the newer style of X-com, loved the 1997 original to death as well) but... I can't help thinking it's a bit of a cash-in. There's so much of it lifted from the newer X-com and X-com 2. Interested but not super, super hyped. I consider Enemy within pretty much the perfect take on it (perhaps with long war mod over the top).

Associate
OP
I can't help thinking it's a bit of a cash-in. There's so much of it lifted from the newer X-com and X-com 2. Interested but not super, super hyped. I consider Enemy within pretty much the perfect take on it (perhaps with long war mod over the top).

Enemy Within is pretty amazing and for what it is… it is neigh on perfect. As for Phoenix Point being a 'cash-in,' who knows, but Julian Gollop created XCOM (Enemy Within even has a facility named after him, the Gollop Chamber) so imho if he wants to create an evolution of something he himself created then I'm happy with that.

Another game to back guys, looks really good and you also get a free Steam key for Chaos Reborn. Release Q4 2018. Check out the vid, looks promising! :)

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point?type=fb

Yep. I've backed it.

Soldato
I wish there was a HD remake of the original X-Com / UFO : Unknown. I still adore that game but just wish the visuals were better now. Would love someone to just reskin the whole thing but keep it with the 3d isometric view etc.

Associate
Really excited for this. I really enjoyed the faction system of Xcom Apocalypse so looking forward

I wish there was a HD remake of the original X-Com / UFO : Unknown. I still adore that game but just wish the visuals were better now. Would love someone to just reskin the whole thing but keep it with the 3d isometric view etc.

Have you looked at Xenonauts? Believe Xenonauts 2 has a free early preview demo to have a look at also. Also check out OpenXcom.

Soldato
Surely adding vehicles doesn't cost $150k, how much are they paying themselves :o

Would be nice to have a rough insight as to how much things cost/ how long it takes.

Associate
OP
Surely adding vehicles doesn't cost $150k, how much are they paying themselves :o Would be nice to have a rough insight as to how much things cost/ how long it takes.

Each model has to be created in 3d, animated, and then code written & tested to add an entirely new layer of gameplay. And it's not just using them on the battlefield, it's the Player acquiring them, getting rid of them, storing them etc too. The game will still be made as originally pitched if it doesn't reach the stretch goal and as a quick, rough, comparison; the 'talking car' companion stretch goal for Wastelands 3 was $150k - that's one car with a specific role!

Back
Top Bottom