Phone screen dark in the sun

Associate
Hello all.

I have a Moto G30. Recently during my holidays, I found that the screen is pitch black when taking photos. This prevents me from seeing what I am taking photos of, whether someone has their eyes closed, etc.

What gives?

Soldato
Adaptive brightness is switched off.

Battery saver is also turned off.

I am really stumped. Could the screen protector glass be at fault here? I wouldn't have thought that in this day and age, phone manufacturers would produce phones that cannot be used outside!

Need more info here. So have you maxed out the brightness when in sunlight?

Is the slider @ 100%?

Soldato
sounds like with adaptive brightness being off, he's trying to use the same brightness setting for indoors when outdoors in direct sunlight? It would like pretty blank tbh...

Also, one thing with budget devices, they often have low brightness screens, so this isn't particularly a surprise. If it really is 403nits max, I think top end phones go over 1,000 these days... that's quite a difference.

Soldato
Yep seems like user error here.

My old oneplus 5 had 400 nits peak brightness and I got by.

Nexus 6P had 350 nits so go figure.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP, you actually need adaptive brightness on for it to properly reach peak brightness. Newer Android versions don't allow you to go all the way to the max manually if that's off, even if the slider is all the way to the right.

Associate
OP
Am I being thick?
Brightness is set to max. Adaptive brightness is switched off as I want brightness to be at max all the time.
Or, does adaptive brightness have extra hidden brightness ?

Soldato
I have a similar problem with my Huawei phone. I very bright sunlight it sometimes goes to mimimum brightness. I have to go to a "dark place" (!) and then can just see the screen and re-adjust. The bright sun must upset something? Seems to happen if on manual or adaptive. Peculiar.

Mel

Back
Top Bottom