Pic Of The Day 13th March

Soldato
Todays pic is one of those rare animated ones, although not large and not too clear as an image it is very enlightening, it comes courtesy of the Cassini spacecraft.

darkspot.gif

The Great Dark Spot

March 12, 2003: For more than a century astronomers thought that the Great Red Spot was the biggest thing on Jupiter. Not anymore. Images from NASA's Cassini spacecraft have revealed something at least as large.

The Great Dark Spot.

"I was totally blown away when I saw it--a dark cloud twice as big as Earth swirling around Jupiter's north pole," says Bob West, a planetary scientist at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Rather than trying to source a single larger source of the piccy I thought I would post the page that this article is taken from, it can be found here. It contains some other interesting pics and science news regarding Jupiter.

Previous Pic Of The Day posts

11th Mar 03
09th Mar 03
08th Mar 03
07th Mar 03
06th Mar 03Courtesy of Garp
05th Mar 03Courtesy of Grouch
03rd Mar 03

Associate
So which bit is the dark spot? The black bit dead centre is actually a hexagon on some of the images. Or is it the shadowy bit just above. Its a little hard to gauge the scale of the planet on the qt movie to get an idea of the size of it.

Quality post anyway Mr Markjcj, 5* rated

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Markjcj
Tis the shadowy area you are supposed to note. :)
The bit towards the top of the blue circle.

I guess that was supposed to be a circle. Looks like someone scribbled it on there freehand with a pen. That's the kind of circle I end up with when I try to draw them freehand.:D

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by Mark G
The bit towards the top of the blue circle.

I guess that was supposed to be a circle. Looks like someone scribbled it on there freehand with a pen. That's the kind of circle I end up with when I try to draw them freehand.:D

A darn sight better than my attempts then:eek: Mine are even worse than that, if you imagine dropping a spider in alcohol and then in ink, allowing it to walk on the page and viewing the results, you'd then have a fair idea of my drawing skills.:D (That is if the spider doesn't die of alcohol poisoning.)

Back
Top Bottom