Pic Of The Day (22 oct)

Associate
crabshrug_rox_big.jpg

Time Laps Movie 1 Time Laps Movie 2 Time Laps Movie 3

These are mpeg movies, if you have dial up then the second one is probably the best, The first and second one is about 4.5Mb and the third about 8.5Mb

How does a city-sized neutron star power the vast Crab Nebula? The expulsion of wisps of hot gas at high speeds appears to be at least part of the answer. Yesterday time-lapse movies taken from both the Chandra X-ray Observatory and the Hubble Space Telescope were released showing a wisp of gas moving out at about half the speed of light. Wisps like this likely result from tremendous electric voltages created by the central pulsar, a rapidly rotating, magnetized, central neutron star. The hot plasma strikes existing gas, causing it glow in colors across the electromagnetic spectrum. Pictured above is a composite image of the center of the Crab Nebula where red represents radio emission, green represents visible emission, and blue represents X-ray emission. The dot at the very center is the hot pulsar spinning 30 times per second.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's a very nice picture, suitable for my desktop at work IMO. The astronomers should be pleased when they come in today.

/me pimps SETI to a couple of dozen students. ;)

Soldato
Actually, now you've said that I swear I can see the front-on head of a fish (or Admiral Ackbar from Star Wars) at a 45° anti-clockwise angle. You can see one big eye. Can you see it?

Associate
Someone tell Berkeley...

Well we've found the alien lifeform in this picture. So what do we do now? I suggest the following DC project:

Introducing: SLOS - The Search for Lost Odd Socks. It's an embedded client which runs on your washing machine/tumble dryer and analyses the sounds your machine makes, identifying noises from odd socks which may or may not be caught in the drum.

Obviously it would have to filter out the rattling noise from the spikey bits out of bras.

Soldato
Re: Someone tell Berkeley...

Originally posted by Hambo
Introducing: SLOS - The Search for Lost Odd Socks. It's an embedded client which runs on your washing machine/tumble dryer and analyses the sounds your machine makes, identifying noises from odd socks which may or may not be caught in the drum.

Obviously it would have to filter out the rattling noise from the spikey bits out of bras.

Ha ha ha. Thats brillient matey. Where can i sign up. I wanna get my washing machine crunching :D

Back
Top Bottom