Pic Of The Day 22nd April

Soldato
Todays pics, both of the same thing are quite different from my usual offerings, although old the subject matter still fascinates me everytime I see it.

marsface.gif

face2001_mgs.jpg

Close-up of the Face on Mars

Wouldn't it be fun if clouds were turtles? Wouldn't it be fun if the laundry on the bedroom chair was a friendly monster? Wouldn't it be fun if rock mesas on Mars were faces or interplanetary monuments? Clouds, though, are small water droplets, floating on air. Laundry is cotton, wool, or plastic, woven into garments. Famous Martian rock mesas known by names like the Face on Mars appear quite natural when seen more clearly, as the above recently released photo shows. Is reality boring?

Credit: Malin Space Science Systems, MGS, JPL, NASA

A larger version of the second pic can be found here, this is a 1.31MB Gif image.

Previous Pic Of The Day posts

19th Apr 03
18th Apr 03
16th Apr 03
14th Apr 03
12th Apr 03
11th Apr 03
09th Apr 03

Soldato
Ah, a classic and certainly inspiring image. It does kill the mystique a little seeing the reality, but then again it's just as fascinating to see what's really there.
Shiny things to you.

Man of Honour
The first of the pictures above was produced using data from NASA's Viking 1 orbiter in 1976. The second image came from Mars Global Surveyor.

Here's another version of the Viking image showing the surrounding area:

marsface1_vk1.jpg

Credit: The Viking Project, NASA. Larger version here (307KB GIF).

Also, here's another 'face' picture taken by Mars Global Surveyor:

marshappyface_mgs.jpg

Credit: Malin Space Science Systems, MGS, NASA. Larger version here (396KB JPEG).

Back
Top Bottom