Pic Of The Day (25th Oct)

Associate
sep14prom_eit.jpg

Full size Image

Twisted magnetic fields arching from the solar surface can trap ionized gas, suspending it in huge looping structures. These majestic plasma arches are seen as prominences above the solar limb. On September 14 2001 , this dramatic and detailed image was recorded by the EIT experiment on board the space-based SOHO observatory in the light emitted by ionized Helium. It shows hot plasma escaping into space as a fiery prominence breaks free from magnetic confinement a hundred thousand miles above the Sun. These awesome events bear watching as they can affect communications and power systems ninety three million miles away on Planet Earth.

Soldato
Wow, that is a fantastic image! Beautiful yet frightening. Brilliant stuff. :)
It's nigh on impossible to grasp the true scale of it.
IIRC Mars is the way it is due to the solar 'winds' battering it over the eons, ripping away the atmosphere. You've got to wonder what it was once like.

Associate
OP
I know there is sometimes not much you can say to a post like this, but is everyone enjoying them? The general feeling i get is that they are and feedback is very positive, being consistently viewed 150 - 180 times a day cant be bad, so for now i will continue my quest to bring you the best pics i can find of our natural universe.

Thanks for your comments chaps;)

EV

Associate
Nice pic once again. These threads brighten up the seti forum.

What it is hard to comprehend from that picture is the immensity of it (no jokes lads). That magnetic field you see is probably a thousand times bigger than the earth :eek: How small we humans are :o

Associate
OP
I cant remember the exact figure as it is liable to small changes, i will try and find out for you, all i can say for sure is that the suns magnetic fields are a magnitude above anything imaginable on earth (thing massive and x that by 10,000) Another bit of info for you is that that loop is probably in the region of 3.5 million degrees Fahrenheit and are so hot they will be giving of x-rays.

Back
Top Bottom