[Pic] Where do I begin when it comes to weights/fat loss?

Associate
Ok, I had my weights + bench delivered yesterday and despite my weight, I am determined to lose the weight and tone up! Now, i'll probably get a few people taking the mick but I don't care - I'm doing something about it ;)

Obviously my main aim is to trim up however i also want to aim for muscle too! Being new to the weights game is taking its toll and with lots of different things being advised, it's very hard to take it all in!

Do I do cardio to lose weight and THEN focus on weights?
Do I do weights and cardio to lose the fat?
Do I bulk and gain the muscle?

EDIT: I have read the bodybuilding guide numerous amounts of times. I'm just looking for a more personalised answer if possible :)

I don't want to bulk and then find myself not being able to fit in anything I have lol maybe I have the wrong end of the stick here :p If any of you could give me advice as to where to start or where you would start in this situation then I would really appreciate this :)

Last edited:
Soldato
No one is going to be taking a mick here, don't you worry about that. Kinda hard to judge your frame without knowing how tall you are and how much you weigh though (I take it you're in your 20s now?). Also what exact equipment is available to you? Personally I don't think you've enough fat on you to worry about doing just cardio but then again it depends what you want to look like.

Associate
OP
Haha nope, im 16 :p

I'm about 5ft 10, maybe a bit more. At the moment all I have is 75kg of weights and a bench. Can't tell you my exact weight at the moment as I need to grab a new pair of scales. (The ones I currently have are so unreliable it's untrue!). I'd say i'm around 11 stone give or take.

Soldato
Sorry I'm not giving a detailed answer, im sure someone will shortly. Remember to get Lunges and Dumbell Squats into your routine. It will help your upper body grow too.

Ideally certain machines like Lateral pull down you really need if you want to gain good mass. That and pec fly machine for you as a beginner as flies can be quite hard. Is there a gym near you that you could go to say twice a week? and then make do with the rest at home?

You've not got too bad a base to start with. Good diet, good exercise routine and some determination and you'll be looking good in no time.

Caporegime
given the recent questions and inability to read and listen to people, im quite inclined to agree with gilly.

someone recommending pec dec? my word :/
db squats work upper body? oh dear :/

nitro: eat well and lift with decent intensity. forget losing fat, you have no need what so ever.

Soldato
given the recent questions and inability to read and listen to people, im quite inclined to agree with gilly.

someone recommending pec dec? my word :/
db squats work upper body? oh dear :/

nitro: eat well and lift with decent intensity. forget losing fat, you have no need what so ever.

I recommended pec dec because free flies for a beginner will be hard as he will likely lack the stability. My two cents, most people will likely disagree.

I should have been clearer on the Db squats working upperbody. As all he has is a bench and dumbells I was trying to get the point across that exercising his legs (which will be hard at home) will help his upperbody/him in general grow.

I suppose 16 is a bit young. Perhaps just simple DB press, shoulder press, bent over rows, light deadlifts etc etc may be more benficial at this stage.

Sorry if this is confusing for you Nitrojan!

Soldato
Well 16 is probably too young to be hammering the weights seriously but I think that's when I started to get into it (if only I didn't stop 3 years ago). Only went to the gym once a week (had a free one on Thursday in school) and then was just doing 100 press ups a day and then the basketball and rugby training kept my cardio more than covered. I always had the advantage of being a tall and rather wide (shoulders, not waist :p) kid as it is and that build my back and shoulder nicely (also trained my legs pretty well in rugby) when I got to college which is when I started going to gym 3-4 times a week.

As you're also 16, I wouldn't bother losing any fat you're still growing just try and get yourself a relatively decent diet to start with. Most important thing is not to try too much at once, one step at the time as you can easily discourage yourself and don't expect miracle results straight away. Bodybuilding is not just for Christmas it's for life etc. Oh and if you're going to college that's where your biggest challenge will be, second year is when I stopped going, lost motivation to go back and piled on 5 stone in a year without any training.

Soldato
but pec dec is pants. why bother using it when you ahve db's light enough to to learn the form of doing flies :p

Yes I agree it is pants. But have issues with rotator cuffs and shoulder subluxations so find it much more comfortable.

I use it as a warm up for my chest day. Find it gives a much deeper strain and larger pump, for me. Purely because theres constant resistance all the way through the rep and it doesn't ease as the weights come into touch over your body. May switch to bench cable flies ( I do standing cable flies bent over as part of my routine )

It really is a unrealistic mesure of strength as theres no possible way I could do free flies with 75's, 50's or let alone 30's. But I feel it really working which is my basis for using it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom