[PIC_THREAD] Wildlife, Animals, Birds, Zoo

Soldato
Great shots i-bert!
I seem to have no luck finding kingfishers, loads in the area but they seem to scoot as soon as they hear me coming!

Anywho a buzzard and an overweight robin!

Last edited:
Soldato
Great shots i-bert!
I seem to have no luck finding kingfishers, loads in the area but they seem to scoot as soon as they hear me coming!

Anywho a buzzard and an overweight robin!

Loving the Buzzard shot. They are extremely hard to get close to, any tips on how you got that shot?

Just seen your Crow and Buzzard shots on flickr..............WOW. Is that a Peregrine too in that set?

I got these yesterday, funnily enough, but they're heavily cropped.
DSC_3421-Edit.jpg by ibert1, on Flickr
DSC_3416-Edit.jpg by ibert1, on Flickr
DSC_3412-Edit.jpg by ibert1, on Flickr

Last edited:
Soldato
Loving the Buzzard shot. They are extremely hard to get close to, any tips on how you got that shot?

Just seen your Crow and Buzzard shots on flickr..............WOW. Is that a Peregrine too in that set?

I got these yesterday, funnily enough, but they're heavily cropped.
DSC_3421-Edit.jpg by ibert1, on Flickr
DSC_3416-Edit.jpg by ibert1, on Flickr
DSC_3412-Edit.jpg by ibert1, on Flickr

Thanks i-bert no unfortunately not, we have them nesting in a Sheffield university building but still not managed to capture them, they have a webcam watching the nest though, one day.

The buzzard was been chased down low, was just about to get into the car when they appeared over the trees after an unsuccessful kestrel hunt, lucky I had the camera still to hand.

I'm still trying to get one sat on a post or tree, mission impossible!

Nice shots!

Soldato
Thanks i-bert no unfortunately not, we have them nesting in a Sheffield university building but still not managed to capture them, they have a webcam watching the nest though, one day.

The buzzard was been chased down low, was just about to get into the car when they appeared over the trees after an unsuccessful kestrel hunt, lucky I had the camera still to hand.

I'm still trying to get one sat on a post or tree, mission impossible!

Nice shots!
I'm not sure what that bird is then, but it's not a buzzard.
https://flic.kr/p/2k6Vbq4

Edit - Think it's a Goshawk

Last edited:

And

And

Associate
Three things come to mind: Goshawk in the Cotswolds would more than likely be ringed as they are well surveyed birds, the legs look thin, it doesn't seem to have that bulk in the body I'd expect. It should about buzzard-sized (and likely bigger) otherwise I'm more inclined to think a female sparrowhawk.

Soldato
Three things come to mind: Goshawk in the Cotswolds would more than likely be ringed as they are well surveyed birds, the legs look thin, it doesn't seem to have that bulk in the body I'd expect. It should about buzzard-sized (and likely bigger) otherwise I'm more inclined to think a female sparrowhawk.

Didn't know they were ringed, shall look out for them next time I'm down there, thanks

And

And

Associate
In March/early April they should be courtship displaying, flying up high and diving down, like a rollercoaster I guess. Go out on calm, clear days and find a high vantage point overlooking a forest/large wood for the best views.

Soldato
In March/early April they should be courtship displaying, flying up high and diving down, like a rollercoaster I guess. Go out on calm, clear days and find a high vantage point overlooking a forest/large wood for the best views.

Thank you for the tips, much appreciated.

Soldato
Kestrel, a few feet away and dived down and caught a rodent right next to me! shall never forget this encounter, unfortunately it was too close with my lens to grab a pic of the catch ! hey ho great experience.

Associate
Hi all,

First time posting in these parts. I've recently started to learn about and practice photography - I'm using my old man's gear at the minute but hope to have my own soon. I used to develop my own 35mm B&W about 25 years ago, but am totally new to DSLRs.

This was my first serious attempt at a wildlife photo:

IMG-3942-Highland-Cow.jpg

Taken with a Canon 6D, Canon fixed 200mm lens, f2.8, 1/160, ISO320.

My youngest daughter really liked it, good timing with the tongue, so we had it put on a 60x40cm canvas for her in her bedroom.

Anyway, thanks for looking, hope you like. Open to criticism :D

Cheers,

FB..

Soldato
Hi all,

First time posting in these parts. I've recently started to learn about and practice photography - I'm using my old man's gear at the minute but hope to have my own soon. I used to develop my own 35mm B&W about 25 years ago, but am totally new to DSLRs.

This was my first serious attempt at a wildlife photo:

IMG-3942-Highland-Cow.jpg

Taken with a Canon 6D, Canon fixed 200mm lens, f2.8, 1/160, ISO320.

My youngest daughter really liked it, good timing with the tongue, so we had it put on a 60x40cm canvas for her in her bedroom.

Anyway, thanks for looking, hope you like. Open to criticism :D

Cheers,

FB..

Nice pic FBi7
Highland cattle are photogenic indeed.
Not a criticism but just like my Highland cattle shots they always stick to the shade, I'm beginning to think the ones up the road from us are vampire cattle.

Associate
Thanks @alchal

Very photogenic. As I said, my first serious attempt, but I'll keep an eye out for them opting for the shade in future, perhaps I might get lucky and get some caught out in the sunlight. I guess it gets hot under all that hair! It's a shame the image host has compressed the image so much - the pic I posted isn't a patch on the original.

Soldato
Thanks @alchal

Very photogenic. As I said, my first serious attempt, but I'll keep an eye out for them opting for the shade in future, perhaps I might get lucky and get some caught out in the sunlight. I guess it gets hot under all that hair! It's a shame the image host has compressed the image so much - the pic I posted isn't a patch on the original.

Yeah it's a pain when they get compressed, I use Flickr , it's pretty good for not compressing the images.

Back
Top Bottom