Picked up a LG OLED55B6V

Soldato
@MOOGLEYS , do you connect everything to the soundbar and use ARC HDMI 2 on B6?

Wondered if its all working ok, as I connect devices to soundbar but use HDMI 4 on B6 and just run an optical cable for sound from TV/apps.

Thinking about trying it, I went with optical as I was going to get a harmony and thought best to leave CEC controls off but I like the B6 control so think maybe best to use the feature and not bother with a Harmony remote.

Soldato
I have everything in TV and use ARC HDMI for audio to soundbar. It works perfect and saves changing settings all the time using a single tv input.

I use the LG remote for everything although sky can sometimes be a pain as it has no rewind, pause etc buttons.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have everything in TV and use ARC HDMI for audio to soundbar. It works perfect and saves changing settings all the time using a single tv input.

I use the LG remote for everything although sky can sometimes be a pain as it has no rewind, pause etc buttons.

Cool, think I will try it then, I only have xbox/ps4 but I don't want to use them on CEC control. Just want to be able to control my soundbar with the LG remote and have it turn on when I turn TV on.

Can you change the soundbar inputs with the LG remote as well?

Also I guess the benefits of using HDMI arc is that I would get Dolby Digital Plus instead of just Dolby Digital on optical from the TV netflix app, pretty sure optical cant do the DD plus due to bandwidth.

Soldato
Cool, think I will try it then, I only have xbox/ps4 but I don't want to use them on CEC control. Just want to be able to control my soundbar with the LG remote and have it turn on when I turn TV on.

Can you change the soundbar inputs with the LG remote as well?

I find it much easier that way although you do loose out on HD audio and 7.1 but tbh I cannot tell the difference. I have the Pro set to output DTS and it sounds great.

I don't think you can change inputs but volume works and it powers on and off with the tv.

Soldato
I find it much easier that way although you do loose out on HD audio and 7.1 but tbh I cannot tell the difference. I have the Pro set to output DTS and it sounds great.

I don't think you can change inputs but volume works and it powers on and off with the tv.

ah you connect different to me I have everything into the soundbar so I don't lose out on the HD audio or 7.1 but yeah most likely nothing in it with a soundbar anyway.

I was only using the optical to route sound from TV freeview and its built in apps.

How comes you don't connect to the soundbar?

Soldato
Can't be bothered changing the settings all the time. With everything in soundbar you only have one set of options on tv. With everything in tv and arc to soundbar game mode for PS4 etc is all automatic.

I tried it with everything in soundbar and HD audio but tbh couldn't tell any difference so went with the easy option....

Associate
OP
I've got my B6V doing audio via ARC to an Onkyo putting out 5.1. I have forfeited HD audio for convenience and I can only notice a difference on certain movies, for 95% of viewing it's perfect.

Soldato
Can't be bothered changing the settings all the time. With everything in soundbar you only have one set of options on tv. With everything in tv and arc to soundbar game mode for PS4 etc is all automatic.

I tried it with everything in soundbar and HD audio but tbh couldn't tell any difference so went with the easy option....

Makes sense, I only use 1 setting for everything so not an issue really, just need to remember to switch to and from game mode when watching a movie on the Xbox.

Do you need to mess about with Dolby/DTS output settings at all on the TV, I remember it being a dogs dinner on the KS7000 when I was using optical.

Soldato
Far to much hassle for me....lol.

Seen as i want to try ARC, I may try connecting devices into TV instead as well see if I notice a difference. What I am confused about or what I found troublesome on the KS7000 was the audio settings on the TV for optical passthrough and also the correct settings on the ps4/xbox to use.

With PS4 I take it I would need to select Bitstream Out instead of Linear PCM but then it gives me a choice of Dolby or DTS.

What happens when I play a DTS track movie and Ive selected Dolby on the PS4?.

Sorry for all the questions:o:D

Soldato
My PS4 is set to DTS as it's a higher bitrate than Dolby. Not tried playing a Blu-Ray yet so not sure what happens there. I imagine the TV just converts anything Dolby to DTS 5.1.

Soldato
My PS4 is set to DTS as it's a higher bitrate than Dolby. Not tried playing a Blu-Ray yet so not sure what happens there. I imagine the TV just converts anything Dolby to DTS 5.1.

This is what Im hoping, I remember having trouble with this on the xbox one via optical though. It would revert to stereo if I had DTS set in xbox settings and was playing a Dolby track movie.

Soldato
No idea try it and see. You could always connect your one to the Yamaha using HDMI 2 on the tv and everything else connect to tv. That way you can use PCM for the one and Bitstream for movie audio.

V F

V F

Soldato

How come you went soundbar versus your original bookshelf? speakers...

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Just press a direction button and exit
Perfect, thank you.

Use the motion controls to set it up so it's smooth. I have mine on for normal tv watching and movies. Playing 24fps content on a 60Hz screen will always look crappy without some form of motion control.

I tried this last night. I've always despised motion controls for the artefacts they introduce. So I'm now left with a toss up between tracers or artefacts. My 1080p samsung was 60hz too but did not exhibit the same issues.

On the verge of sending this back as it hasn't blown me away at all. None of the inputs I use have anything close to the same vividness of the colours in the menu screens. I at least know the menu is capable, I just dont have anything that can make use of the tech.

Back
Top Bottom