Picked up my new car this weekend........955hp V10 Audi RS6! (HP figure updated 08/10/22)

Soldato
OP
Ah my life is just ****** great :(

During a quick pop around to my folks I suddenly noticed a raw/wet fuel smell when stationary (not exhaust). Nothing with the car seemed "off" (no hesitation, missing etc) but I pulled over anyway to check and found a fuel line quick disconnect in the engine bay has had a 20p bit of plastic locking tab decide to fail, causing the quick disconnect to partially fail and introduced a small fuel leak of about 1 drop per second at idle. The black plastic "cap" in the middle of the bottom picture should be flush with the metal pipe on the right but is clearly popped out and now won't reseat so the quick disconnect is now partially open, allowing a small amount of fuel to drip out.

I spoke to MRC and sent them the pics below, they've seen this failure before and have already ordered the replacement part but it'll take a few weeks to get here so my trip down to MRC on Friday has been delayed slightly!

It's in the pipe in the top centre/left -

51wyfXM.jpg

The black plastic protective coating was removed by me at the side of the road so I could check for any cracks/leaks from the metal pipe underneath (none found) -

JWiqUo1.jpg

Soldato
OP
I think I'm being a dumbass! My understanding was that the black cap was a locking collar that had come loose i.e. it needed to push into the "female" metal pipe so as to lock the "male" fuel pipe in. However looking at how these disconnect a bit more the cap (black in my drawing below) is actually the "tool" which releases the quick disconnect, by pushing it into the female pipe (red) it pushes on some back angled barbs (blue) which are preventing the male pipe end (grey) from coming out.

So I probably need to disconnect it, clean the ends then reconnect the fitting and see if it still leaks.

1lseb9i.png

and I found this which helps explain it to myself too!

chrysle_fuel_fitting_quick_connect_218b85a5c65780e04c9680c6b0f578c19901.gif

Soldato
OP
Soooooo, fuel leak issues all sorted (new fuel-line and quick connect) plus some TLC with 10 new spark plugs, 10 new coil packs & a new fuel filter then a little extra safety/fun with an uprated in-tank fuel pump fitted (Walbro) as the old OEM one was starting to drop the rail pressure from 5 BAR down to 3 BAR at 6k+ RPM which could have risking a Lean situation if it dropped any lower so it's now running a stable 4.9BAR all day long.

Having the fuelling sorted certainly helped with the MPG (LOL-PG anyway - 3.6MPG at full throttle, 12MPG around town, 24MPG on a 60mph run) and, in combination with a nice strong new spark, it helped drop my 100-200kph Dragy time down from 6.25 sec to just 5.4 sec so I'm guessing the fuelling issue was maybe more hindering that initially thought.

aiEnOzq.jpg

Soldato
OP
It's less likely to happen, for a while anyway, with it being winter now so the Strips like SantaPod start to close down. Plus I've moved to a new job near Norfolk so haven't access to my old testing area back in the North Staffs area any more.

From a "seat of the pants" feeling only, it now feels strong with every single full throttle stomp whereas after the 930hp tuning it felt very hit and miss (like 930hp one time then only 700hp the next time etc) so I'm guessing the fueling was starting to fail during the mapping, which MRC pointed out regarding the inconsistent fuel pressures.

Associate
It's less likely to happen, for a while anyway, with it being winter now so the Strips like SantaPod start to close down. Plus I've moved to a new job near Norfolk so haven't access to my old testing area back in the North Staffs area any more.

From a "seat of the pants" feeling only, it now feels strong with every single full throttle stomp whereas after the 930hp tuning it felt very hit and miss (like 930hp one time then only 700hp the next time etc) so I'm guessing the fueling was starting to fail during the mapping, which MRC pointed out regarding the inconsistent fuel pressures.

What's the car like from a dig now? I'd be interested to see the 0-60 without using LC, just stomp on the throttle etc.

Soldato
OP
Hi all, after a bit of "spirited driving" at the weekend I thought my brakes felt a little more 'fadey' than usual so after a quick check I realised I'd not checked my pads in a long time (being abroad for 4 years is an issue) and all my pads were down to a few mm of material left which was a surprising slip-up in my usual maintenance routine.

I'd previously bought some more AP Racing DS25 pads for when they needed changing it was a simple matter to whip the old pads out (2x pins and 2x Allen bolts per caliper), clean up everything and fit the new ones.

Now I just need to bed them in before going silly and, if I remember the first set correctly, these "gas off" quite a surprising amount with lovely clouds of white smoke for the first 5-10 heat cycles.

I also took the time to fix a small water leak into the boot-lid from a seal around a wiring harness and around the inner rear lights, just in time for all this lovely weather.

PS - the old "0-206mph in 36 secs" video when the car was 735hp is now very, very outdated - my guess would be 70-208mph (indicated) in around 18-20 seconds, which was surprising!

Soldato
OP
Hi All,

Now I'm back in the UK my commute to work is a huge 5 miles a day :eek: which, especially over the winter, was taking a toll on the RS6 as it was barely getting up to temp so I've decided for the first time in my life to be semi-sensible-ish and not wreck my lovely, fast, expensive-ish car but instead to wreck a battered, slow, cheap shed instead so I've added another 1 whole Litre and 3 whole Cylinders to my car stable with this immaculate beast!!!!

gccrq5O.jpg

LZeTMcE.jpg

It's a Citroen C1 with 90k miles, 4 badly mis-matched tyres (1x Snow, 1x All Year, 2x Summer - all from different makes), a "brand new MOT" despite having two bulbs blown (definitely not dodgy at all) and with it being covered in pigeon poop minutes after parking up back at home and yet I absolutely love it it already!!!!

You see I have a "history" with buying a nice expensive, fast car and then, when they keep blowing up, buying a "£500 from eBay" car to run and of the 5 I've had, all have been French and they've mostly been Citroen's and all have been given Top Gear style nicknames based off their reg plate or a silly story about them (C1 "Yappy", C5 "The Death Trap", ZX "Leaky" & BX "The Fridge") and I've had some just immense fun with them, truly "care-free" motoring for me.

So after a quick "lets make sure it's 'safe' at least" test drive (it's fine) I did my usual "I've just bought a crap car on eBay" thing and give it new oil, wipers and replaced the bulbs followed by giving the coolant/PS/brake fluid a check over.

Now I'm not exactly the smallest of guys so it's surprising just how roomy the "4" seater is when there's just me filling up the whole car like this...........

oA7tQUo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom