Pico 4 out soon?

Why hassle? And if it's hurting your eyes it's potentially not setup right?

I find it very easy to grab my headset and just load up a quick game of beat saber etc.
I mostly only play racing games so I have to setup the wheel and peddles, then launch the oculus app and the program before playing. I think I need new glasses and the ones I have don't fit well inside the headset. With or without, I get eye strain. Yes I do need to sort it out and spend some money on it.

Soldato
another forum member here has had this problem, puts me right off a vr headset when i see people having these issues. how do they let these things through quality control, don't they check them before sending them out?

Yep, me

Went through three headsets before giving up

Soldato
wow 3, that's a lot.
i had a run of 3 headsets with dead pixels too; 2 varjo aeros (then gave up, got a refund) and then a quest 2. the replacement quest 2 was ok.

4 if you count the pimax I tried, and before that a quest 2, so that's 5 headsets I've had with dead pixels.

I'm not putting up with it.

Associate
OP
4 if you count the pimax I tried, and before that a quest 2, so that's 5 headsets I've had with dead pixels.

I'm not putting up with it.
No neither would I! Once seen, you can't unsee them. I've been vr'ing since 2014 and it's only this year i've had headsets with dead pixels.

Underboss
i have just read this this will be out in September
if it does, then we have a next generation headset out way before any others, so i think im getting one

Associate
OP
if it does, then we have a next generation headset out way before any others, so i think im getting one

I'll watch this with interest. Pancake lenses are a good thing imo, but before i part with cash i'd want to see a decent resolution bump over my quest 2.

Soldato

I hope it's good, but, If it's coming in September that means it's going to be using the same Xr2 processor as the Quest 2 and the Pico Neo Link 3. It wouldn't be worth buying for most Quest 2 users.

The rumours that first came out were that the Pico 4 was coming early next year if the Beta test of the Neo 3 Link went well. And that it would be using a more powerful processor. It didn't say what processor, just next-gen.

I thought Pico themselves said that they would be releasing a headset early next year And that if you bought the Neo 3 link you would get a price reduction on the the new headset.

Underboss
update

pico 4 will use pancake lenses and they will be plastic not glass

so a lot thinner and lighter than the Quest 2

pixel density will be greater (1200 ppi Vs 773 of the Quest 2)
slightly larger FOV (105 vs 100)

and it will have colour passthrough

nothing about the chipset or anything else

Underboss
good thing about eye tracking is the fact that less power is needed , it will use power where the eyes are looking, everything else will not be rendering or using much power, so better quality "where your eyes are seeing" , so win win

Soldato
good thing about eye tracking is the fact that less power is needed , it will use power where the eyes are looking, everything else will not be rendering or using much power, so better quality "where your eyes are seeing" , so win win
There's eye tracking and eye tracking. Not all of them achieve proper foveated rendering.

Edit if they've cracked it though, then it'll be an amazing headset.

Associate
OP
Pixels per degree (ppd) is a better measure of clarity than ppi. A hmd can have a high ppi just by having a small screen.

Associate
105 FoV is still too small for me, I won't upgrade until I see a headset that has both a large FoV, decent clarity/sweetspot size and good blacks. All three or no Bueno, I'll compromise on the cable, eye tracking (though I might live to regret that) and even the audio but visuals need solutions to 3 problems imho.

Back
Top Bottom