Pictures of my new car

Associate
You're right Fox, brand new the S-Type was the odd car out and that’s the reason that Jaguar only managed to sell about 400 a year. However second hand is a different matter, I’d absolutely love an E55 or M5, but realistically the E55 is too expensive to buy, and the M5 is too fragile for its own good (and I don’t particularly want to drive a manual).

Excellent choice of car mate. I've had my S-Type for nearly 2 years now and still loving it. I didn't even consider the merc or the bm, as i've owned both in the past and to be honest there's something about driving a jag that does it for me. Here's mine on arrival day:

Get yourself over to http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/ :)

Soldato
I like that, for some reason. The thing I'm not too keen on is the interior - the centre console looks quite nice, but areas are cheap and nasty plastic. The problem with owning an E39 BMW is that you notice stuff like this :(

Associate
OP
Excellent choice of car mate. I've had my S-Type for nearly 2 years now and still loving it. I didn't even consider the merc or the bm, as i've owned both in the past and to be honest there's something about driving a jag that does it for me. Here's mine on arrival day:

Get yourself over to http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/ :)

Very nice, I love the colour, I bet it's a real pain to keep clean though. The sensible side of me would love a diesel S Type, but they seem to go for absolutely silly money at the moment. Plus, you just can’t beat the sound of a supercharged V8.

Man of Honour
I like that, for some reason. The thing I'm not too keen on is the interior - the centre console looks quite nice, but areas are cheap and nasty plastic. The problem with owning an E39 BMW is that you notice stuff like this :(

If I'm honest I think the S-Type was the least cheapo feeling car I've driven all year other than the E39. It was, suprisingly, better than the Audi A4 despite Audi's reputation. Although this was a revised 2007 model.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;10779635 said:
If I'm honest I think the S-Type was the least cheapo feeling car I've driven all year other than the E39. It was, suprisingly, better than the Audi A4 despite Audi's reputation. Although this was a revised 2007 model.

I assume they must have done something to them during the revisions then - the only one I've been in was a 52 plate if I remember correctly.

Associate
OP

It’s swings and roundabouts really. Your BMW probably has better quality plastics, and they‘re probably held together better too, but the Jaguar has much better wood trim and the seat leather is far nicer too.

On a side note, did you ever manage to find a 530d? I very nearly gave you a ring a while back when I saw your 530i on Pistonheads.

[TW]Fox;10779660 said:
They have - friends dad has a V plate one and it's awful. Think 2004 was the 'unscrewup' date.

The interior was revised in 2002, you're right though, the early interior was absolutely terrible, in fact even the later interior look a bit nasty without the touch screen.

Soldato
It’s swings and roundabouts really. Your BMW probably has better quality plastics, and they‘re probably held together better too, but the Jaguar has much better wood trim and the seat leather is far nicer too.

On a side note, did you ever manage to find a 530d? I very nearly gave you a ring a while back when I saw your 530i on Pistonheads.

No, I gave up in the end - all the ones that I saw in budget were rubbish or the wrong spec. Going to try and keep my 530i for a bit longer now I think.

Associate
OP
One of these absolutely murdered me a while back, it accelerated from me at nigh on warp speed! how quick are they?

They're definitely quick, the 0 - 60 figure is a little deceiving as it’s a heavy car and an automatic as well, however, once you’ve got it going the acceleration is amazing. Have you ever seen the Top Gear segment where Jeremy Clarkson is driving the Bentley Continental GT? It’s a bit like that (although not quite as fast). I’ve spent most of my Christmas holiday grinning like an idiot after flying past people dawdling on the roads, much to the annoyance of elderly Honda drivers.

The torque is amazing too, in my old car I had to use the kick down all of the time, and while the car could definitely shift, it was a bit annoying. In the S –Type I think I’ve used the kick down once, there so much power at low revs it’s pretty much pointless.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;10778907 said:
'His financial situation'? Don't be daft, it's the price he paid for a car not a photocopy of his last payslip. I was bombarded with numerous requests for how much mine was when I posted my new car last year. I dont see what the big deal is.

Because some people dont want to say, as there will then be an argument of how he could have got it for 2p cheaper elsewhere.

Not the best looking of cars Ive seen, but im sure the engine more than maes up for it, and its certainly a car I wouldnt say no to owning. Enjoy the purchase mate. Nice to see someone owning a saloon other than the usual German stuff.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;10779017 said:
Anyway enough of the price stuff.

Not keen I'm afraid. Just looks a bit... meh. And is ruined by a slushbox. I always thought the choice in this area was an RS6 if you wanted an Estate, an E55 if you wanted an auto and an M5 if you wanted the ultimate sport saloon. The S Type-R didn't seem to fit. Which I suspect is why you rarely ever see one.
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...&make=BMW&model=&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

would rather have that than the merc tbh.

Caporegime
Because some people dont want to say, as there will then be an argument of how he could have got it for 2p cheaper elsewhere.

Not the best looking of cars Ive seen, but im sure the engine more than maes up for it, and its certainly a car I wouldnt say no to owning. Enjoy the purchase mate. Nice to see someone owning a saloon other than the usual German stuff.

agreed

notice how bereft of negative comments this thread is ?

theres the odd "i dont like the car" comment, but thats being honest and fine.

You can bet, if he did mention the price, the thread would go off the rails and into pages and pages of debate as to whether the price he paid was right, and then onto a discussion about whether buying from a franchised dealer is worth it or not, none of which is necessary.

Man of Honour
You can bet, if he did mention the price, the thread would go off the rails and into pages and pages of debate as to whether the price he paid was right, and then onto a discussion about whether buying from a franchised dealer is worth it or not, none of which is necessary.

In your opinion. In other peoples opinion, it's an interesting debate on the pros and cons of buying cars in certain ways.

Back
Top Bottom