Pictures of my new car

Caporegime
its interesting because the person posting never asks for it, and its always the same discussion that never reaches a conclusion. Theres the camp on OcUK who think buying from a dealer is pointless, and you're wasting your money. And theres the camp who find the warranty and comfort of buying from a franchised dealer enjoyable

the debate is never interesting and always goes the same way, and in the end detracts from the OPs thread. Im firmly of the oppinion sombody is only "ripped off" if they pay more than wanted. If they knew cheaper alternatives were available, but didnt want them, they've not been ripped off.

Man of Honour
its interesting because the person posting never asks for it

Thats becuase the majority of people who post their new car, and I'm not neccesarily including the OP, do so becuase they want an ego massage and they want everyone to swoon over how wonderful it is and congratulate on them on such a purchase.

This, however, is what one make forums are for. Here on OcUK you get opinion :p

Soldato
Firstly, nice car, I have seen a few of these on the roads and I'd be embaressed to be driving an x type if one of these pulled up along side me. The are pretty swift from what I have seen. I pulled onto a motorway behind one last week and he just tore off into the distance!

Now I am gonna say something I thought that i'd never say. I agree with [TW]Fox (yes I must be concussed :p) on the whole pricing issue. TBH we know that he bought second hand so got a bargain irrelevent of a few ks variation, but it's just people being harmlessly nosey as it saves us from having to dig around on autotrader/pistonheads to work out an estimate ourselves.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all of the comments, positive and negative. I think the S-Type is a really polarising car, nearly all of the people I have spoken to either love the car or absolutely hate it. Just to add some fuel to the fire, maybe the E39 side should have a quick read of this.

I’ve unfortunately found one of the downside of owning a nice car, I parked my car for 10 minutes while I popped to the shop this morning and it looks like someone has tried to remove the R badge from the back of the car (to stick on the back of a Corsa no doubt). They didn’t manage to remove the badge, but it’s only made from plastic so they’ve made a real mess of it, as well as the paint behind it. I’ve found a couple of places selling new badges on eBay, but does anyone have any idea how to get the old badge off without causing more damage?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I really like it, and they are certainly very good buys now. I like the styling, the interior looks at least as good as anything else in the class, and it keeps away from mercedes and bmw's bad images. As much as i like the E39 i can see why a lot of people may prefer this alternative, it has something different about it which appeals.

Another big appeal to me at least would be the gearbox, the fact the M5 is only available in a manual really puts me off it and is pretty much a dealbreaker for me, the only other real automatic option being the mercedes which isnt in the same price bracket.

Associate
I’ve unfortunately found one of the downside of owning a nice car, I parked my car for 10 minutes while I popped to the shop this morning and it looks like someone has tried to remove the R badge from the back of the car (to stick on the back of a Corsa no doubt). They didn’t manage to remove the badge, but it’s only made from plastic so they’ve made a real mess of it, as well as the paint behind it. I’ve found a couple of places selling new badges on eBay, but does anyone have any idea how to get the old badge off without causing more damage?

Gutted for you mate:mad:

Perhaps if you were given the choice of the BMW Alpina E39 B10 V8s instead of the E39 M5, that might be a different story;)

Cheers :)

Associate
OP
Gutted for you mate:mad:

Perhaps if you were given the choice of the BMW Alpina E39 B10 V8s instead of the E39 M5, that might be a different story;)

I'd love a B10, but they cost an absolute fortune. To get one that's the same age, mileage and condition as my car would probably cost an extra £4-5K, which is pretty difficult to justify.

Heat it up with a hair dryer then slowly take it off with some dental floss?

Cheers, are there are products out there that would clean the remaining glue off the paint without damaging it?

Soldato
I'd love a B10, but they cost an absolute fortune. To get one that's the same age, mileage and condition as my car would probably cost an extra £4-5K, which is pretty difficult to justify.

Cheers, are there are products out there that would clean the remaining glue off the paint without damaging it?
any tar remover should do.

Associate

You can pick up an 02 plate V8s for around £15k if you look hard enough. If you paid £10k for your Jag then i can understand your choice.

I read the comparison you posted on the Jag vs the M5 and am suprised the Jag was so highly rated.

Good choice and enjoy. Just remember if your not getting sub 15mpg then you are not driving it correctly:p

Soldato
I really like it :) Got a feeling they'll be an even greater 2nd hand buy in the coming year.

I can't be the only the person who thinks the e39's interior is soooooo zZZZzzZZZZzz :p prefer the jags bigtime myself.

Btw, what mpg are you getting in it? :D 15 on a run? :p

Soldato
My accord badge pressure washed off by accident so you could try that ;)

Fishing line gets it off and Tcut scratch remover works the glue away.

Nice car, it looks a bit old manish but I guess thats the point. Definatly has an air of class about it, although the jag image seems to have been somewhat diluted and they now look affordable to all. I bet its a real hoot with the supercharged V8 and I recon you will have got a fair bargin on it in terms of kit etc. Not what I would have spent my money on but you could do far worse!

Associate
Awesome car. If I had to choose a powerful saloon on that kind of budget - that would be my choice.

Looks best in darker colours - much like the new XF. Love the interior too, 99-2001 interior is awful, they really fixed it nicely in 2002. Shame the dials didn't get changed till 2005.

Back
Top Bottom