1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pigeon and rat

Discussion in 'La Cuisine' started by BUDFORCE, 26 Oct 2021.

1. BUDFORCE

Mobster

Just thinking about how we all need to do our part to reduce carbon and being better for the environment and the eco system in general.

There are millions of rats and their flying counterparts pigeons around, particularly in London, but most cities, rabbits and other animals (muntjac deer etc) in the country considered "pests".

Why dont we eat these?

If I am honest, provided of course it was safe to do so, the thought of eating a pigeon and rat pie quite appeals. I like rabbit anyway, had it several times, so why cant you (easily) buy it here? You can in France.

In other parts of the world they eat insects as protein and this is more sustainable.

Seems crazy that our supermarkets are stocking prime beef which we know isnt great for the environment when there seems to be so many other things running around we could eat instead which may help out matters.

Would you eat rat and pigeon?

I understand all the reasons we currently dont, but dont we need to change our attitudes?

2. Blackjack Davy

Soldato

Pigeon is good theres not a lot of meat on it basically just breast and not much more so you need a few to make a meal. I'll pass on the other.

3. robfosters

Caporegime

No no no.

I know we’ve got to do our bit for the environment, but that doesn’t mean living like we’re in the great Chinese famine.

4. 200sols

Sgarrista

Pigeon is lovely, not tried rat but if it's similar to squirrel it'll be great..

5. BUDFORCE

Mobster

Have you seen how many of them are around lol.

Also in general, I'm not saying completely ban beef or whatever, but we could cut down on the traditional farmed livestock and get creative on catching pigeons and rats.

If we substituted 80% of our beef/lamb/pork intake with rat/pigeon it would make a massive difference.

6. robfosters

Caporegime

80%! You’re talking complete crap.

7. Begbie

Caporegime

Pigeon tastes great, with a lack of meat per bird though I bet it'd cost a lot of labour to prep.

8. Dis86

Suspended

Seagull.

9. tom_nieto

Capodecina

Now this I could get onboard with. Seagulls eat pigeons too so that would solve the pigeon problem.

10. koolpc

Capodecina

Seagulls, pigeons and rats....should all be shot and used in curries!

11. SupraWez

Wise Guy

if they became a staple food source they would be farmed just like any other animal, your still have all the wild ones plus those bred for food.

12. Hotwired

Sgarrista

A big reason to farm in a controlled environment is dodging diseases and pests.

Every year a few people get emotionally distressed on finding out that wild caught fish can have diseases and worms or other parasites.

13. R.P.L

Wise Guy

Indeed. I'd give rat a go, but not one that had been caught in a tunnel underneath London. Likewise with pigeon which is already widely eaten, but probably not the ones that trawl city centres for leftover McD's :p

14. ~Divine~Wind~

Underboss

Tried pidgeon, think i overcooked it and waa full of shot :(

Was wanting to try squirrel but the place i was gonna get it from stopped doing it

I like trying more exotic meats springbok was awesome, but think id have to pass on rat

15. new boy

Mobster

Who knew the kebab houses have been trying to save the planet all this time

16. robfosters

Caporegime

I feed rats to my snake ffs, I certainly ain’t eating them myself!

17. Tony Edwards

Soldato

Is this a troll thread? Its not feral pigeons people eat it is wood pigeons. I expected better in this forum section. I doubt there is much meat on feral pigeons and the fact feral pigeons eat sick off the pavement is a bit off putting surely.

18. robfosters

Caporegime

Have you seen some of the crap pigs eat? Literally their own ****

19. Tony Edwards

Soldato

lol I dont eat any animals anyway. So i'm fine.

Funnily enough I heard an interview with a guy from brixton that hunts, kills and eats wood pigeons.

20. robfosters

Caporegime

Are you a veggie or a pescatarian?