piggybacking off a wireless pc ?

Associate
is it possible to connect my laptop to the internet via a pc that is connected via wireless card?

My work laptop does have wifi built in however the drivers down support wpa2 encription that i am currently using, And i dont want to keep using a lead and plugging laptop direct into router.

I want to be able use my work laptop at the desk in another room from my router.

Can this be done by using a normal network cable and allowing me to use the connection ( bridged )

If you can advise on how i do this that would be great.

My pc is vista home 64

Associate
Sure you should be able to bridge the wifi and wired NIC in the PC and plug the laptop into that, alternatively you could probably use a second wifi card on an Adhoc network with the laptop and set up routing between them. Not 100% on doing this though as I don't generally use XP as a router/bridge.

I think it's as simple as setting the NIC to "allow other users to share my internet connection" on the NIC and then add static routes to shift traffic from one card to the other. Which is easily done in command prompt.

Caporegime
The first option's by far the easiest, and doesn't have so much crap to go wrong as the second (especially given how flaky ICS is).

Associate
OP
so will a normal ethernet cable work? or do i need a x over cable ?

how do i set it up in vista, sorry im new to this, i have all the bits infront of me now

plug cable from laptop into ethernet socket in pc .. now what ?

Associate
so will a normal ethernet cable work? or do i need a x over cable ?

how do i set it up in vista, sorry im new to this, i have all the bits infront of me now

plug cable from laptop into ethernet socket in pc .. now what ?
There's a good chance a normal ethernet cable will work, most interfaces use auto sensing and do the crossover bit themselves nowadays.

In Vista just go Control Panel > Network and Sharing Centre > Manage Network connections > select the wired and wireless interfaces, right-click and choose Bridge Connections. Vista's normally good at doing the rest.

Edit:You worked it out. Well it might help someone else :)

Associate
You need to create a network bridge. I don't use vista so I have no idea how you do it. I'd assume it's fairly similar to XP where you select the network adapters and right click and bridge them.
There should be plenty of how-tos online for that though. First stop Microsoft technet :)

Associate
OP
yes i went into my pc network settings, then simply right clicked the wireless pci connection, clicked properties, then clicked "sharing" then just ticked the box that says allow other computers to connect through this connection,

didnt think it would be that easy, and was a bit unsure if my work laptop would be able to cope as it also connects through to a vpn

Associate
Why not downgrade from wpa2 on the router to wpa with a nice long preferably random secure passkey?

Usually an option in the router wireless security

Back
Top Bottom