Pimax 8k is live

Soldato
It sounds so promising. I think my issue with the pimax is simple - needs good controllers, etc.

I'll probably buy a rift for now, and then next year a pimax once they release a wireless module and some controllers.

Associate
I think I'm going to switch to the 5K+ when I get the option...I need to get a few years out of my 1080Ti by which time there will be more VR headset options anyway...

Soldato
The 5k+ looks so much better to me than the 8k version, well regarding clarity anyway.

Will a 1080ti still be able to push solid 90fps in modern titles without turning all the eye candy detail down to zero, that's my big take on all this. It looks like the big selling point of 200FOV (Well 170 to be precise,) isn't actually all that great, way more demanding, introduces a ton of distortion at the edges etc. Most of us I guess will settle for the normal mode and the 5k as their simply is nowhere near the required amount of GPU power out there available yet to even drive these things how they need to be driven.

I'm so lost on what to do at the moment, I'm flip flopping between this and triple screens on a daily basis.

Soldato
The 5k+ looks so much better to me than the 8k version, well regarding clarity anyway.

Will a 1080ti still be able to push solid 90fps in modern titles without turning all the eye candy detail down to zero, that's my big take on all this. It looks like the big selling point of 200FOV (Well 170 to be precise,) isn't actually all that great, way more demanding, introduces a ton of distortion at the edges etc. Most of us I guess will settle for the normal mode and the 5k as their simply is nowhere near the required amount of GPU power out there available yet to even drive these things how they need to be driven.

I'm so lost on what to do at the moment, I'm flip flopping between this and triple screens on a daily basis.

I am not sure I would be buying triple screens knowing that high Res VR headsets are on the way. The Pimax has shown at least shown us that much. IF anything it would have made things clearer for me. A VR headset is definitely the way to go for racing sims and good things are coming down the line.

Soldato
I am not sure I would be buying triple screens knowing that high Res VR headsets are on the way. The Pimax has shown at least shown us that much. IF anything it would have made things clearer for me. A VR headset is definitely the way to go for racing sims and good things are coming down the line.

True very true, had the same train of thought, but how many thousands on top of the cost of a high res VR set will we need to spend to get a smooth 90fps experience in future big titles, that's my concern.

I've two rigs at home, a Vega64 system and a 1080ti system but I can see even the 1080ti will struggle in the immediate future and I'm not paying the bonkers money Nvidia are now charging for their top end cards.

Associate
If you are obsessed with eye candy and won't accept a step down for the added immersion, current VR tech and even Pimax to some extent is not going to be for you. There are compromises with current tech and all of the reviews state that Pimax is not perfect, but for me the benefits and immersion far outweigh the limitations, that is a personal opinion though and everyone has their own view.

Soldato
The games I enjoy are the written for VR with basic graphics and good game play. As above if I get immersed in a game the GFX actually doesn't matter so much. Having a Vive setup already will help to reduce purchase cost. The 5K+ is appealing for the reduced SDE and larger sweet spot with the wider FOV as a bonus. Seems trying to run AAA games is the wrong way to go with the current level of GPU power. We're talking a very small percentage with high end GPUs which is not the best way to get wider adoption.

I've started to view SweViver review but it's an epic! Always hated the twee background music he uses though.

Associate
I already have a Rift and Samsung Odyssey along with machines with a 1080 in one and a 1080ti in the other. I use one rig for sims using the 1080ti and the 1080 and Odyssey for room scale.

I plan on getting the 2080ti and am also an 8k backer and cant make my mind up on whether to switch to the 5k+ for sims (racing and flight) or stay with the 8k and hope the 2080ti is beefy enough to make it worth it.

Permabanned
Pimax software is pretty awful, don't buy these if you're expecting the same level of polish you get with Oculus, the Vive or even Gear VR, basically expect things not to work and most of the time you shouldn't be too disappointed. :p

I also noticed the software using CPU even when it's not active, it would just constantly sit at 5-10% CPU usage until I renamed the files to kill them off, ending task didn't work.

I'm not sure the Pimax software team know what they're doing, or maybe they do in which case it's even more concerning. :o

Soldato
Mate, I think you're going to have readjust your expectations and requirements, or just forget VR for a couple of years :)

I'm just not impressed with how it looks, think you might be right. I'm not doubting the immersion but visuals look so ropey to me. Looks grainy and pixalated and I know I'll never be satisfied with it in its current state.

Soldato
I'm just not impressed with how it looks, think you might be right. I'm not doubting the immersion but visuals look so ropey to me. Looks grainy and pixalated and I know I'll never be satisfied with it in its current state.
I hear you.
Unfortunately, we're a little while off from having the grunt to power headsets that could offer the kind of quality you're after, at ideal refresh rates. God knows what kind of price that'd command when it does happen...
In the meantime, most of us are happy to compromise in favour of all the positives, but I get where you're coming from.

I know you've tried VR briefly, but I do wonder how well tweaked the image was.
There's also an adjustment period, but knowing your love of crispy visuals, it may not have helped either way.

Associate
I plan on getting the 2080ti and am also an 8k backer and cant make my mind up on whether to switch to the 5k+ for sims (racing and flight) or stay with the 8k and hope the 2080ti is beefy enough to make it worth it.
I have both the 2080ti and 8K on order and I'm thinking of switching down to the 5K+. If what SweViver says is correct in terms of supersampling for clarity on the 8K, there's no way the 2080ti is going to cope in stuff like IL-2 or PC2.

We really need VR devs to start seriously supporting SLI, or these wide FOV headsets are not going to take off.

Soldato
Unfortunately, we're a little while off from having the grunt to power headsets that could offer the kind of quality you're after, at ideal refresh rates. God knows what kind of price that'd command when it does happen...

Honestly in my opinion it’s less about brute force and more about efficiency -specifically in no small part significantly dependent upon good foveated rendering. There are other technologies like the new DLSS which might help, but I really think foveated rendering is the turning point as it will allow top end graphics with a very high perceived image quality and yet shouldn’t be overly demanding.

The catch is that for truly effective Foveated rendering you need top notch eye tracking that works in all use cases and by all accounts that’s a tricky nut to crack.

We may see it in the next gen 2019/2020, or we may not. If we do then I believe it will mark a step change in VR performance.

Back
Top Bottom