1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer announced world first Ultra HD Blu-ray drives

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by AthlonXP1800, Jan 25, 2017.

1. AWPC

Sgarrista

Bluray picture & uncompressed sound quality is a long way ahead of any streaming service. The best streaming service is barely equivalent to DVD's due to the compression codecs used & low quality sound.

2. KingOfCobham

Associate

Always thought BDXL was UHD blu ray to be honest.

3. chongker

Associate

Makes no sense why they list i5/i7 procs only, since the KBL i3s and Pentiums should have the same video decoders on board. Do they expect very high CPU loads for some reason?

4. Doogles

Mobster

I'm not talking about streaming, plenty of downloads around that support UHD, although they might not be legal...

If you have the money to have a sound system and TV then surely you'd have enough to buy a decent HTPC?

That does suck, I was on that not even last year, best thing I invested in is a router with QOS.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  5. chrcoluk

Gangster

to me the only thing carrying bluray is the fact the consoles include it. There is zero chance of me buying a bluray optical drive for my pc and I find Netflix easily good enough quality to watch stuff.

6. hyperseven

Mobster

Even the not so legal downloads are re-encoded and have compression artefacts.

UHD disk protection has not been cracked.

You may find one with HDR but that has been muxed in post and will not be the proper metadata.

7. Rofflay

Mobster

Nah i will go all in on one format i cannot afford both but i could afford one damm good setup if i planned correctly. This does put a spanner in the works with my perfectly able 4770k. I guess the swinging factor is the Ultrawide on the PC and cost ability as in putting all my money into an Ultrawide £1200 beast monitor and drive.

The only other thing able to satisfy me would be an Oppo UHD player with a built in amp like the BDP-105 linked into a OLED. But that is a lot of money for movies whatever it would be will last for the duration of the media to be honest. Having to buy a AMP and dedicated UHD drive just to power headphones will probably force me into having just one Gaming/HTPC. Would i therefor need to turn on and install dedicated GPU drivers for Intel? Because i have and want it disabled it is another deal breaker.

Damm why do these people make it so difficult in the name of profit there is more money in lower priced media for all instead of for a few who jumped through hoops!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  8. AthlonXP1800

Wise Guy

Pioneer announced external Ultra HD Blu-ray drive

http://www.techradar.com/news/the-first-external-ultra-hd-blu-ray-drive-is-comingto-japan

Hmmm Pioneer has a UHDBD advisory tool? Will google it as I cant find it on Pioneer site.

Ah found it on Pioneer Japan site:

http://pioneer.jp/pcperipherals/bdd/eula.php

Actually it is Cyberlink UHDBD advisory tool.

I ran tool to see if my PC support Blu-ray:

[​IMG]

Blu-ray log:

[​IMG]

My PC passed all tests for Blu-ray so let see if my PC support Ultra HD Blu-ray:

[​IMG]

Ultra HD Blu-ray log:

[​IMG]

Well my PC not support Ultra HD Blu-ray so it will require to upgrade to Kaby Lake i5 or i7 CPU and Intel 200 series motherboard that support SGX, Intel HD 630 graphics, Blu-ray drive firmware that support Ultra HD Blu-ray or a new Ultra HD Blu-ray drive and a HDR HDTV. :p

I clicked on more info and it send me to the link below.

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=19144&isDraft=1

Interesting it didnt mentioned Intel Management Engine and DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 before. Intel HD 630 is not the only one GPU as it also required Intel Iris, HD 640 and above.

So it seemed current Nvidia and AMD drivers did not had Advanced Protected Audio/Video Path enabled or it did not have functions in drivers yet as Maxwell, Pascal and Polaris are HDCP 2.2 compliant.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...-blu-ray-disc-bdxl-drive-test-request-19.html

After read avsforum I realised Advanced Protected Audio/Video Path is PlayReady 3.0 so Nvidia said a year ago that Pascal will support PlayReady 3.0 in driver but we still yet to see it enabled in driver so maybe in the next few months after Cyberlink launch PowerDVD 17 in April.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  9. Minstadave

Capodecina

What a train wreck. UHD BR is dead on OC before it was even released.

10. Grimley

Soldato

/\/\/\/\/\ This. I learned my lesson when I 1st dipped my toe into the world of 1080p disc media almost 10 years ago. I built a PC around a LG HD-DVD/blu-ray dual format drive only to find that my E6600 didn't cut the mustard. One upgrade to a Q6600 meant it did, but the Cyberlink software needed updating all the time & then stopped supporting the version I paid the best part of £80 for only six months prior & was told to buy the latest version (another £80) the software was too unstable & didn't output the HD sound formats I wanted, even though I spent out on the right hardware too. I decided at the time to cut my losses & buy a standalone player instead. I still have that player & it plays every blu-ray I've thrown at it even though its 8 years old. 4K disc media playback & PC? seems to me that they want you to get your wallets out so they can help themselves. I think I'll pass thanks, I'm happy with 1080p.

11. Xna

Associate

Hopefully PowerDVD 17 does support UHD Blu-ray playback however the drives being sold in Japan are being shipped with a newer version of PowerDVD 14 which has UHD Blu-ray support. Not sure why they chose 14 instead of a later version.

As you can see here, PowerDVD 14 playing a UHD Blu-ray.

12. AthlonXP1800

Wise Guy

Interesting I found nilsman posts at blu-ray forum that he got Ultra HD Blu-ray and PowerDVD 14 worked fine with Kaby Lake CPU and... ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming ITX/ac motherboard!!! So Ultra HD Blu-ray playback confirmed worked with Kaby Lake CPUs on Z170 motherboards! :eek:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=287599&page=5

So it appeared both Netflix 4K and Ultra HD Blu-ray will work fine with Kaby Lake CPUs supported SGX on both 100 and 200 series motherboards. :D

Also I read through blu-ray and other forums and found very interesting information about AMD and Nvidia's PlayReady 3.0 support.

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/mel...lusiv-AMD-und-Nvidia-ausgesperrt-3618693.html

The fantastic news is Nvidia back in Dec 2016 confirmed Pascal will support Netflix 4K with PlayReady 3.0 enabled driver due in first half 2017. Ultra HD Blu-ray playback will worked with Pascal cards when Nvidia will release PlayReady 3.0 enabled driver. :D

So guess we all can relax that we dont need to spent a fortune on expensive hardware to play Ultra HD Blu-ray so cheap PCs with powerful GPUs will playback Ultra HD Blu-ray soon and also much cheaper than very expensive standalone Ultra HD Blu-ray players.

Yes PowerDVD 17 supported Ultra HD Blu-ray.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=288636

13. AthlonXP1800

Wise Guy

Pioneer to launch Pioneer BDR-211UBK Blu-ray XL Writer next month:

[​IMG]

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/pioneer-bdr-211ubk-blu-ray-xl-writer.html

I seemed cant find optical drives on Pioneer Europe site but only on Pioneer USA so it look like Pioneer USA will launch BDR-211UBK for both US and Europe markets. $129.99 = £127. Not bad for retail with software so I rather get cheap OEM version for less possible around £60 and buy PowerDVD 17 upgrade around £35.

14. AthlonXP1800

Wise Guy

https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/features_en_GB.html?affid=2581_0_737_41104_0_ENU

I noticed PowerDVD 17 is finally now available for sale in UK, I got PowerDVD 17 Ultra upgraded from PowerDVD 16 Ultra for £39.99. :D

Well it seemed not all PowerDVD 17 versions supported Ultra HD Blu-ray playback. Only both PowerDVD Live and PowerDVD 17 Ultra supported Ultra HD Blu-ray playback.

https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/compare-versions_en_GB.html

One cool feature I found it really very interesting is TrueTheater HDR, this feature will enable HDR enhancements on any movies and video files with SDR contents will let me watch in HDR mode. :eek: The only way to watch HDR with TrueTheater HDR feature is to get Kaby Lake CPUs.

Not surprised there still no sights of Pioneer Ultra HD Blu-ray drives on sales in UK yet while PowerDVD Live and 17 Ultra are now available for Ultra HD Blu-ray. Hope new HDTVs with HDMI 2.1 will come soon after read about Xbox Scorpio supported HDMI 2.1 and also upcoming Nvidia drivers support Netflix HDR and Ultra HD Blu-ray playback.

15. Cromulent

Wise Guy

I collect a lot of films that you just can't find on streaming services such as Netflix or Amazon Prime. The only option is buy the disc on DVD, Blu-ray or UHD Blu-ray or buy a digital download. Since I refuse to buy digital downloads of films because it is way too easy to lose them once you have downloaded them and I haven't found a film digital download service which has a client that works like the Steam client does for games I stick to buying the discs.

Plus I just love owning the discs. You know you will own the film the for life in that case no matter what. I'm waiting to get a PC with a UHD Blu-ray drive for a media centre so I can do everything on one PC.

Netflix and Amazon Prime Video have a rubbish selection of films and TV series though. I find myself buying discs primarily because they are just not available on the streaming services.