Pioneer Space Sim - Free Indie Frontier: Elite 2 Remake

Associate
tron: How long is a piece of string? It's like asking how long until Linux is finished. Truth is, it'll just get better and better until operating systems crash when you try to download it, just because they feel inadequate and unworthy.

Well, one day. Maybe.

We deliberately don't have a timescale or a fixed road map, because we're just regular folk putting our own time in out of sheer enthusiasm. People work on the things they're interested in, and where they have ability. Nevertheless, this is my guess as to the near future:

Coming soon
  • A new GUI. We need a more versatile layout engine for bulletin board menus, for use of custom equipment, and to enable mission interaction whilst in flight. There's somebody working on that right now.
  • A new HDR mode to replace the one we just ditched. It did look really cool, but it caused so many rendering problems that we decided to kill it. We have somebody hoping to have ideas about that soon.
  • New terrain handling. Just a tad quicker, and hopefully better looking. We have a couple of people working on that, I believe.
  • We have a new guy (an old-time Frontier player) who has decided to make a serious start at universe back-story, in order to help come up with a consistent set of factions, politics, etc. That's being worked on, collaboratively, right now.
  • We have a couple of people playing with new autopilot modes and so forth.
In the longer term, we'll probably stop calling it alpha when we stop letting the galaxy change wildly. Anybody who knows the nature of pseudorandom procedural generation knows that tiny changes to the use of numbers can have a chaotic effect on everything that happens subsequently. So, if we refine our system generator, whole planets get wiped out, and new ones might appear elsewhere. When that sort of thing stops, and when saved games work across different versions, we'll feel like calling it beta software.

As long as somebody loves it, it'll continue to be developed. That's the big advantage of free software (warning: beard alert). It will never become abandonware unless people no longer want it.

The Pioneer project is run as an informal meritocracy. While we accept ideas and suggestions from anybody, we're more likely to accept them from people who contribute to the wider effort. That's not just coding and art, mind. That could be testing, or documentation. Everybody who puts something into it gets to feel like one of the owners.

That's how I feel. It's a good feeling. (-:

Anyway, I've got a good ramble going here, so I think I'll finish this post. We like feedback, and I'm happy to answer any specific questions.

Permabanned
David Braben said along time ago that he wont make Elite 4 until the technology is available for him to make it better than anything else out there regarding the genre otherwise it will be a failure.Commander Jameson will return but he must return at the right time......

Associate
A big up to the Pioneer devs and contributors, amazing work so far. Thank you :)

Thats such a shame, being an astromoner nut myself it would have been cool to go to somewhere like orions belt and being able to see the orion nebula up close, and see new stars being born or fly through the pillars of creation.

Have you tried Space Engine Dave? You can click on a visible star and navigate to it. It's a bit buggy atm, but still a great program. No lasers though ;)

http://en.spaceengine.org/

Associate
OP
David Braben said along time ago that he wont make Elite 4 until the technology is available for him to make it better than anything else out there regarding the genre otherwise it will be a failure.Commander Jameson will return but he must return at the right time......

I remember him saying this but tbh at the moment the genre is so quiet he could release anything and it would be a very well received :(

Soldato
Im sure theres a guy who works for Frontier Developments on the forums, could confirm what Braben's latest thoughts on the whole Elite 4 thing.

Soldato
Elite 1 and 2 were the classics. 3 was a turd and 4 has been 'in development' and 'postponed' since around 2000 :/

First Encounters (Elite 3) wasn't a turd as you put it, it was better than Frontier. Unfortunately it was released before it was ready with a lot of bugs. A patch was released that sorted most of these out but sadly a lot of people didn't bother with it due the initial state of the game when it was released. Think of it as Frontier+.

Associate
OP
First Encounters (Elite 3) wasn't a turd as you put it, it was better than Frontier. Unfortunately it was released before it was ready with a lot of bugs. A patch was released that sorted most of these out but sadly a lot of people didn't bother with it due the initial state of the game when it was released. Think of it as Frontier+.

I bought First Encounters on release day, when I took it back the 1st, 2nd and 3rd times they gave me a floppy disk with a (different) patch which supposedly 'fixed' it. On the 4th time I just got my money back.

Back
Top Bottom