Piracy in Europe/UK is it higher than in the USA?

Soldato
I know you are thinking by the title, why the heck am I asking that. Well, I wonder if the delay for games to be released in the UK/Europe promotes piracy?

I personally have imported quite a few games because I didnt want to wait for their UK release (note, I said imported, not copied, as in own the originals) (especially back in the PS1 days). A guy I was talking to in a game shop a few weeks ago, said he only downloads games because he doesnt want to wait for the UK release, then if the game is good he will buy it on the UK launch (assuming that game is released over here).

I understand piracy is bad, and I own around 160 + DVD's. both US and Europe. All are originals and none are copies, because if I enjoy a movie, I want to own the original. If I thought a movie was so so, I may buy it simply as a 3 for 15 deal or something.

But, I must admit to feeling a bit annoyed, as I forced to watch a "piracy is bad" advert on the new DVD I just brought, which is sometimes 1 - 2 minutes long. Indeed, I remember when DVD's used to come with a slip that promoted other DVD's. now they come with a "piracy is wrong" slip. Am I missing something here? I am being told Piracy is wrong, yet I just paid 13 - 15 pounds for the movie, then forced to watch 2 minutes of adds telling me its bad to buy this movie as a copy.

Is this a rant? no, I am just curious to how other people feel. Could I make my 360 play copied games? yes I could... do I want to? not really. I am happy paying for the games, especially if I can take the game back to shops like game if I dont like it.

To the mods, I am pretty sure this topic is within the rules, if not I am sorry, and lock/delete as needed.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Dark_Angel said:
But, I must admit to feeling a bit annoyed, as I forced to watch a "piracy is bad" advert on the new DVD I just brought, which is sometimes 1 - 2 minutes long. Indeed, I remember when DVD's used to come with a slip that promoted other DVD's. now they come with a "piracy is wrong" slip. Am I missing something here? I am being told Piracy is wrong, yet I just paid 13 - 15 pounds for the movie, then forced to watch 2 minutes of adds telling me its bad to buy this movie as a copy.

That irritates the hell out of me 2, at lest in the vhs days you could fast forward past it :(

Soldato
Dark_Angel said:

And ironically this bit will always be removed when a movie is pirated. :rolleyes:

I don't think console game piracy is that much of a problem, for most people they either don't have a clue how to do it, can't be bothered with it or are simply not aware of the possibility. If it were as simple as popping the disc in a DVD writer then I'm sure it would be rife.

Soldato
punky_munky said:
I don't think console game piracy is that much of a problem, for most people they either don't have a clue how to do it, can't be bothered with it or are simply not aware of the possibility.

I'd be surprised if that were the case actually. Its not really kicked in with the 360 yet, but in the previous gen, modding PS2's, Xbox's and to a lesser extent GC's was rife.

Soldato
pirated dvds often remove that piracy warning, now there are 2 reasons!

ps: i in no way condone piracy!!! its a plague of humankind!!!! :eek:

Soldato
the 360 side of things is relatively slow atm - the problem is Live - its so integral to getting the most out of your 360 and a lot of people dont want to use it.

I think in a years time when prices are lower you could see people with 2 360's unless your Live account will be secure.

Soldato
McDaniel said:
the 360 side of things is relatively slow atm - the problem is Live - its so integral to getting the most out of your 360 and a lot of people dont want to use it.

I think in a years time when prices are lower you could see people with 2 360's unless your Live account will be secure.

interesting. the current set of people who have hacked their dvd firmware on their 360 to play backups and downloaded games have not been banned from live yet. maybe its cos they form the bulk or a high proportion of live. ms might be thinking lets let em get away with it cos at least we are making money off it. if they ban them then these people will still continue to pirate but just do without live.

also bear in mind that the games are a lot bigger than original xbox games to download and hence this might put off people wanting to bother with piracy on the xbox360

Soldato
Mana said:
interesting. the current set of people who have hacked their dvd firmware on their 360 to play backups and downloaded games have not been banned from live yet. maybe its cos they form the bulk or a high proportion of live. ms might be thinking lets let em get away with it cos at least we are making money off it. if they ban them then these people will still continue to pirate but just do without live.

Like i say early days - atm afaik there is no detection as the firmware tricks the DVD not the dashboard (like the original xbox mods) so it could be possible - but im sure MS will try and rectify this and it will be a cat and mouse chase for a bit.

IMO its to risky right now - not to mention needing dual layer dvd's for the games anyway.

Soldato
i think they have already started mate, they have commissioned liteon to develop the new batch of dvd drives (plus the hd dvd), meaning a whole new way of flashing the firmware will have to be developed and if ms are smart they would have said to liteon make sure the firmware cant be read of written.

also the latest batch of hitachi drives in the xbox360 has some super black resin glue aroudn the rom chip meaning it cant be removed easily and read. plus the latest hitachi drive is a totally new firmware making current tools useless at readin it.

game of cat and mouse begins again i guess.

Soldato
Yeh there's already a new DVD drive being put in 360s. The firmware has been completely been remade and there's a new glue that's been added to cover the firmware chips solder points so removing the glue could damage the chip. Or that's what x-scene are reporting.

EDIT: Too slow :(

Associate
Xbox 360 copy = £3
Original = £50

Xbox 360 gets zapped on Live, just buy a new one and dont go on LIVE!

There is nothing else that will happen.

Some people would rather take a risk of losing a xbox and having every game than having 1 game and no risk.

Soldato
Yeh Rhys you have already said you can get copied 360 games for so much money. I would be slightly careful cause mods are quite strict on what can be said when it comes to piracy.

Associate
Tob3z said:
Yeh Rhys you have already said you can get copied 360 games for so much money. I would be slightly careful cause mods are quite strict on what can be said when it comes to piracy.

Im not selling them just saying how cheap they are.

Man of Honour
Make sure you read what you post guys, as anything blatantly dodgy is going to get deleted, and can also lead the thread to go rather downhill and closed.

Rhys said:
Xbox 360 copy = £3
Original = £50

Xbox 360 gets zapped on Live, just buy a new one and dont go on LIVE!

There is nothing else that will happen.

Some people would rather take a risk of losing a xbox and having every game than having 1 game and no risk.
I'd be nearly free if you had the right stuff, but I'm not going to go into that.

You may be saving money yes, but isn't it rather silly to be using an illegal machine, with illegal games on Xbox Live, especially when MS have all the details they need about you?

Last edited:
Soldato
given the choice of having every game for free or buying certain games and playing on live then i would choose the latter.

Soldato
Mana said:
given the choice of having every game for free or buying certain games and playing on live then i would choose the latter.

Same here. Since I just got ADSL and being part of the Live community it's awesome and very sociable. Playing on your own is good but for games like TDU I like coming out of a race and just chatting to passers by.

Back
Top Bottom