**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Caporegime
Yup I am not paying over the odds for a similarly specced flagship device, possibly even lesser than the likes of the gs 8 etc. Stock android with fast and guaranteed updates is great but it's not worth that much extra money.....

Soldato
I have to admit I'm struggling to understand the pricing. The iPhone X had the a11 chip and all the tech for faceid. The XL2 has?

All the cool stuff I've heard is all software. Just slapping a v30 screen on it doesn't magically make a 1000 phone

I'm waiting for the killer must have feature

Soldato
I have to admit I'm struggling to understand the pricing. The iPhone X had the a11 chip and all the tech for faceid. The XL2 has?

All the cool stuff I've heard is all software. Just slapping a v30 screen on it doesn't magically make a 1000 phone

Slapping that screen on it should just make it worth the same price they were asking previously. It's called progress! Crazy if they are increasing the price just because iPhone's have :(

Soldato
I like the look of the black/white model, but the price really is a concern. I'm completely on the fence right now as I could quite happily sit this one out and wait for the 3rd version.
Mine is still working as good as the day I got it so right now it would be a purely want thing rather than need. Then again most phones are like that these days and can easily run for 2/3 years without much slow down.

Soldato
My family and I have used and some still do use Samsung's for years, then I moved to a Nexus 6 and now OP5, and have since got accustomed to a clean rom. I was setting up my sisters Note 8 the other day and was overwhelmed by the bloat and unnecessary addons in the software that it made me appreciate my current OP5 even more.

I was thinking about an S9 for my next handset but not if the software is still anything like it is now.

I ahve the pixel and was thinking of a op5, and was asking this very thing in that thread. glad the op5 doesnt force their 'services' on you like samsung then. might be my next phone given the pricing here

Soldato

The killer feature will be that you can squeeze the life out of it.

Permabanned
OP
By the way, there is a rumour that Google will announce tomorrow that it will acquire HTC's smartphone business. Also there is the suggestion that the acquisition might include the Vive VR unit of HTC (some say this unit has the greatest potential for growth). Background: HTC is a struggling smartphone manufacturer which has lost money every quarter for the past 9 quarters. HTC and Google are of course Android partners but have a long history of collaboration on Nexus and Pixel Google phones. Google previously bought Motorola, before selling its smartphone business to Lenovo.

If the rumour proves correct, it will be interesting to learn why Google believes it can successfully turn-around HTC's smartphone business. I wonder what this says about the future of its relationships with other Android smartphone partners (esp Samsung)? Will Google manage HTC in the same arms-length way it managed Motorola, so as not to alienate other Android OEMs? Or does Google believe that with an imminent decision from the EU Competition Authority looming on Google's control of Android, does it want a Plan B? In such a case, what is the future of the Android alliance?

Clearly Google believes that Pixel is a long term project and it seeks a vertically integrated smartphone business again. The 4 October presentation will highlight how extensive Google's ambitions are in hardware products. What has Google learned from its ownership in Motorola that makes the timing right for an HTC acquisition?

Any thoughts?

http://focustaiwan.tw/search/201709200022.aspx?q=HTC

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Permabanned
OP
Yeah, I'd heard HTC wanted to keep the Vive, which that tweet backs up.

I believe that there are some big changes coming to Android and an acquisition of the smartphone manufacturing assets and design and research team at a minimum (await announcement today) is really just part of a bigger strategy. It might involve Project Fuschia at Google. If you do not recall it, here is Wikipedia description:

"
Fuchsia is a capability-based, real-time operating system (RTOS) currently being developed by Google. It was first discovered as a mysterious code post on GitHub in August 2016, without any official announcement. In contrast to prior Google-developed operating systems such as Chrome OS and Android, which are based on Linux kernels, Fuchsia is based on a new microkernelcalled "Zircon", derived from "Little Kernel",[1][2] a small operating system intended for embedded systems. Upon inspection, media outlets noted that the code post on GitHub suggested Fuchsia's capability to run on universal devices, from embedded systems to smartphones, tablets and personal computers. In May 2017, Fuchsia was updated with a user interface, along with a developer writing that the project was not a "dumping ground of a dead thing", prompting media speculation about Google's intentions with the operating system, including the possibility of it replacing Android.

It is distributed as free and open-source software under a mix of software licenses, including BSD 3 clause, MIT, and Apache 2.0."

Could Android become very different and get locked down? With the EU Commission breathing down Google's neck about Android at a time when Google sees a need for its software to be much more widely used, I believe Google sees the virtues of a full stack, vertical hardware and software integration.

Soldato
Upset about the pricing that might be me out.. Will await for official announcement and confirmations on pricing/contracts etc but I think this is where the market is heading and it's ludicrous.

Back
Top Bottom